I want to start running...need advise please

Options
13»

Replies

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest running at this height and weight. I think the risk of back and knee injury is too high at this weight.
    I'd suggest walking laps in the pool, walking, moving to low carb diet plan, and getting your weight down quite a bit before running.
    the physics of running is just hard and running is injury prone. I run and I've run for years but I have orthotics, knee supports and I weigh 175 and am 5 7. I use Newton's and had to spend considerable time on retraining my gait so as not to be a heel planter. if you make mistakes running at this weight they can be really injurious.

slow down, you're doing great changing your eating habits on MFP and losing the weight. but let's get your weight off quite a bit before running.

walking laps in the pool will build your core muscle and walking on dry land will build your bone density. stay low carb and let the weight come off and worry about running in a year or so.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So much great advice here that I wished I knew when I started running.

My tips - infinity x infinity re getting fitted for shoes. Make sure the store video's you running on a treadmill so they can see how your ankles and knees work and can recommend shoes that suit your gait or fix any problems such as pronation or whatever.

Good quality sports bra and running pants. You don't have to spend a fortune on trendy lycra gym-wear but if you can afford it get some compression running tights. I wear 2XU skins to stop the wobble and chafing.

C25K is a fantastic way to get started. It was the only way I could ever get to run any more than 500 meters.

If you feel like it's too much, slow down and walk until you feel you can run again. There is no hurry or urgency - take your time.

Ditto if you get an injury.

Stretch stretch stretch.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Please be mindful that running, or even jogging, at 230+ lbs is going to put terrible strain on your joints. It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form.

I was bigger than you when I started my weight loss process and I can't even imagine running at that weight.

Start with walking, then walk faster, then walk faster and farther. Take up jogging much later. Your joints (and lower back) will thank you.

I don't agree with this.

You don't have to. We all share our own experiences and it is important to have varied perspectives to make an informed choice.

::sigh::

Yes, we all share our experiences, but I believe the "I don't agree with this." was directed at the following statement in your post.

"It will kill your ankles and knees and it is hard to maintain proper form."

I can't disagree more. It is true that it MAY harm your ankles and knees... it is pretty common knowledge that running can be harmful if it is pursued too aggressively... especially for beginners.

But C25K is a great way to get started running. There are many, MANY people who can and do run very successfully even when they have a lot of weight to lose.

There is no harm in trying running if you are smart about it and don't push too far too fast.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    oh, it's not that cold out. bundle up and head out for some walk-runs!! running counts as double in the winter.

You are absolutely correct. It isn't that cold out. Today was in the 50's here and I had the windows opened. Just to clarify, the main reason for my decision to wait until March is because I am currently doing a fitness program. It is a 12 week progressive fitness program that takes me right into the end of February. I made a goal for myself to do this program from start to finish. I want to complete this goal before adding in another one. Sorry I did not make that clear in my original post. I thought it wasn't important to fully explain at the time. :smile:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    To everyone who replied with concerns about my size and risk of potential injuries.

I truly appreciate you pointing out different views. It definitely is something to take into consideration. I am also at risk injuring myself kickboxing but I do that on a regular basis, with ease to boot! I am well aware of potential injuries that may or may not go along with various exercise for somebody of my size. Through past and current experiences I have learned to listen to my body. I let my body dictate how much or how little of something I participate in. I know myself best and I honestly believe I can handle it. When I start, if I discover I cannot handle it or do not enjoy it I can always abandon my plan. There is no shame in that. At least I have the victory of giving something new a try!

With that being said, I have already discussed my weight loss plans as well as exercise plans with my doctor at my recent visit. (To monitor my progress) My doctor has already given me the green light to go ahead with running. He told me "There is no reason why I physically should not be able to do it." He also advised to listen to my body and not push myself too hard. This is something I was already well aware of and already do.

Thanks again for your views. I appreciate hearing various views. :flowerforyou:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    To everyone who replied with concerns about my size and risk of potential injuries.

I truly appreciate you pointing out different views. It definitely is something to take into consideration. I am also at risk injuring myself kickboxing but I do that on a regular basis, with ease to boot! I am well aware of potential injuries that may or may not go along with various exercise for somebody of my size. Through past and current experiences I have learned to listen to my body. I let my body dictate how much or how little of something I participate in. I know myself best and I honestly believe I can handle it. When I start, if I discover I cannot handle it or do not enjoy it I can always abandon my plan. There is no shame in that. At least I have the victory of giving something new a try!

With that being said, I have already discussed my weight loss plans as well as exercise plans with my doctor at my recent visit. (To monitor my progress) My doctor has already given me the green light to go ahead with running. He told me "There is no reason why I physically should not be able to do it." He also advised to listen to my body and not push myself too hard. This is something I was already well aware of and already do.

Thanks again for your views. I appreciate hearing various views. :flowerforyou:

Hmmm ... maybe doctors are better sources of medical advice than a collective online. :smile:

Take it easy when you start; set realistic, reachable goals for your initial weeks running; take whatever steps you need to make it as enjoyable as possible. Running can be a great release if you approach it with the right mindset. Go out at a comfortable pace ... if that is 10, 12, 15, or 17 minutes per mile so be it. Running on a track has the advantage of no matter what, you're close to where you started ... great for a timed run or if you're worried about getting worn out too soon. Running a road gets you out and about. A trail gets you out into nature. All have their pros and cons and their advocates so pick one and go with it. Try them all out and see which fits you best. The main thing is to get out and get active.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm also interested in going from a walker to a jogger.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I love running, that being said if I push myself to hard to fast I hate it. Start slow and set small goals like make it 1/4 mile etc. Once you get in the groove you'll be so proud of yourself you'll want to keep setting more goals. I hope you find the "runners high" because it's a great feeling. Good luck :-)
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been thinking about it for a while now and I would like to give running a try. I searched the forums and just didn't find the information I was looking for.

A little background on me. I will turn 41 next month. I restarted my journey on MFP at the end of October 2013. Currently I am 5'1" and 234 lbs. Since restarting this journey I have lost several inches and 15 lbs since beginning. I currently work out 6 days a week, at home, alternating cardio and weights. Right now I am lifting 5-8lb weights and working my way up to heavier ones. I am going at my own pace and have seen so many changes for the better since restarting.

One of my goals is to begin running and eventually participate in 5Ks with my bestie. I have never run before. I have no idea if I will like it or not but I would really like to give it a try. My plan is to get started in March when it begins to get a bit warmer. I do not have a treadmill at home and I do not belong to the gym. I work part-time and have student loans to pay off so buying a treadmill or joining the gym is not feasible at the moment. My plan when I get started is running outside. My neighborhood is safe to run in and I also have a park 5 minutes away from me with a pavement track ideal for running.

My questions are:
    ~What advice would you give to someone looking to get started?
    ~What is the best app to use for running? I was interested in C25K but am open to suggestions.
    ~What online sites are useful for a beginner runner?
    ~What are the best type of running shoes to get? (I already found 2 running stores in my area to get fitted at)
    ~Tips/ suggestions?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. I have already begun to do some research on my own this morning.

I love running!!

My advice would be to find ways to make it enjoyable to you. Running outdoors with good music is what I like, but maybe you'd enjoy something different.

Start slow, without setting goals that are too much longer or faster than you can handle right now. Pushing yourself to do more can be unpleasant, and that's not the way to get into running!

When you get fitted for shoes, they should tell you which ones are the best fit for your running style and your foot shape. I personally use Mizunos.

Dailymile.com is great because it lets you track outdoor paths if you run outside and would like to know how far you made it! This website also tells you how quickly you ran so that you can see your progress over time.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of plus-sized women here who love running. :) If someone had told me even a year ago that I would become a runner, I would have been so skeptical, but I've run 3 5ks so far (and I'm at about 190 right now) and it's one of my great joys! Congrats on giving it a go.

It would be fun for us to start a plus-sized running group to support each other. Let me know if there's an interest and I can get one going, or anyone here feel free to friend me for mutual support!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    All great advice here! I like C25k and also the Runkeeper app. What I love about running is that you get better every time you do it. Someone mentioned the toxic 10 and that is so true!! But once you get past it and get your first runners high you will be able to do more and more each time.

If you take any of the advice here I think the most imporatnt is to start slow, get your shoes fitted, stretch after your walk/run and have fun.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    >Finally, Runner's World magazine has some very good info and supportive forums on their website.

p.s. I meant to add to Wombat's post that Runner's World has a book called "Run Your Butt Off" that mostly I adore. It was such a pleasure to see women in this book in a variety of sizes and running abilities. It was totally motivational and I highly recommend it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2691065639588?r=1&cm_mmca2=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_15To24-_-Q000000633-_-2691065639588
  • calico314
    calico314 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great advice throughout!