Target toning moves for lower body

Options
My usual gym session starts with a very fast walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes on an incline of +2. Then I move onto the mats doing all sorts including squats with dumbbells, lunges with dumbbells, planks, sit ups and stretches.

However I really want to target my upper thighs - saddlebags at the side and then the bit of thigh right under your bum.

Can anyone recommend any good moves? Especially for the bit of thigh under my bum as I do squats however I don't really feel a burn where I want to!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What is toning?

Are you saying you're trying to reduce fat?

Eat less.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    More weight? BB back squats. Hip thrusts.

Also, you cannot spot reduce.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    More weight? BB back squats. Hip thrusts.

Also, you cannot spot reduce.
    This. And the previous answer. Reduce fat, but you can't spot reduce, so just continue eating at a deficit.
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If your gym has circuit training weight machines, look at those. Figure out which muscles are where you are focused on. The fat just below the butt, working the glutes will help with that.

No, you can not spot reduce. You CAN build up a particular muscle, and as the weight comes off and the fat goes, you will have the tone in place.

BTW I'm not saying you have to USE the machines above (you can if you wish). In my experience, they show the different muscles in the particular areas. Then you can do whatever sort of exercise you wish to work that muscle.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I hate that underbutt area too!! It always gets me. I don't lose it until I get to about 22% bodyfat. But all those exercises are still important because they'll make your butt and thighs look good when you get there :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as targeting fat loss. Sorry.

You just have to keep a calorie deficit and keep losing body fat until your body decides it's time to release the stores there. There is nothing you can do to change the schedule of where your body is going to release fat cells from.
  • lifeinhiding
    Options
    The OP never said "spot reduce", only spot tone. Great moves for the lower body include Romanian deadlifts, plie squats, lunges, and plank leg lifts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what the others have said. unfortunatly that area you're talking about is usually the last to go. I would avoid doing a lot of direct ab work, as that can actually make the muscle bigger and protrude outward, making the area look bigger.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    The OP never said "spot reduce", only spot tone. Great moves for the lower body include Romanian deadlifts, plie squats, lunges, and plank leg lifts.

you cant spot tone fat either
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Arabesques work that area hard, too. You can also weight them with bands, etc, once you get really good at them (try to go high!)
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    We used to do curtsy lunges & "dirty crunches" in class. Google curtsy lunges & you should be able to find what I mean. My butt, outer hips & thighs screamed afterwards. "Dirty crunches" you lay on your back & instead of crunching your body up you lift your hips/butt. A nice variation from a regular crunch.