Water with fruit.

Options
I like to drink my water with fruit or other stuff in it. Does this add calories?? I do 3 different types that i do myself. I do strawberry and kiwi. Tea(usually black sometimes green) and mint leaves. Then my last one is cucumber, lemon, and lime. I never eat the fruit.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Most likely yes, cause the juice and sugar get into the water.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Probably a little.
  • ladyever
    Options
    Fruit juices contain calories, and the juice is what adds the flavor to you water, so yes, technically there are additional calories. The cucumber, lemon, and lime combination likely contains very few calories on their own, with fewer being added to your drink. Look up how many calories are in lemon juice - it's pretty minimal. The higher sugar combination, strawberry and kiwi, probably adds a few more calories though. I would still say it's not much to worry about, but if you wanted an idea, try adding pure kiwi and strawberry juice to water until you get the flavor right, and then calculate the added calories (and sugars) based on the amount used.

Teas on their own, however, contain virtually no calories, so those you don't have to worry about as long as you aren't adding honey or sugar to sweeten.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If it helps you drink more water, don't even worry about it.
  • emilynoelle8008
    Options
    I'm not adding juice into the water. I'm letting the actual fruit soak in the water for a day or so then remove them.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a water pitcher that has an "infuser" in it. I count the calories of the fruit when I use it. Usually its just 4 strawberries or a lemon so its really not much.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not adding juice into the water. I'm letting the actual fruit soak in the water for a day or so then remove them.

The point they're making is that if you're tasting any change in flavor in the water, then something from the fruit has leached into the water (juice, oil from peels, etc). Those somethings are caloric. From what you describe, I highly doubt a serving of water has more than 10 cals, though (and probably more like 5 or less), unless you're just packing the water full of fruit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I like to drink my water with fruit or other stuff in it. Does this add calories?? I do 3 different types that i do myself. I do strawberry and kiwi. Tea(usually black sometimes green) and mint leaves. Then my last one is cucumber, lemon, and lime. I never eat the fruit.
    The fruit has calories...my guess is it must add a bit of sugar calories. Never thought of adding fruits other than lemon. Sounds pretty tasty.