Post workout lunch?

Options
Hello,

I usually workout between breakfast and lunch. For breakfast most days, I have oatmeal, which is a great preworkout meal for me since it gives me energy (from carbs, duh!) to work out. Once I get home I'm often unsure of what to have for lunch. I know it should involve protein though for muscle recovery. What do you guys like to have as a post workout lunch?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Anything you like that includes carbs, fat, and protein and some sodium.
  • caffeinatedbookworm
    Options

I mean I was hoping for some more specific ideas than that if possible!
  • atrip08
    atrip08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, I usually have an extremely low appetite post workout (not sure if this is weird or not), so I tend to have some oats with chia seeds and fruit pre workout and then drink a protein shake with spinach and frozen fruit post work out to immediately start with recovery. I usually like to make sure I have another meal already on deck at this point because I get REALLY hungry two hours or so after my work out (since i find it hard to eat immediately after) and like to have something like chicken breast, steamed veggies and rice or a sandwich creation like mashed avocado spread on whole wheat bread, turkey, lettuce, tomato (whatever you like to put in) and have that in my fridge or back pack ready to go, depending on if I'm staying home or going to school. Hope this helps a bit!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I mean I was hoping for some more specific ideas than that if possible!

that would be a pretty good way to describe "whatever you like"

I leave out the fat in my postWO...its not necessary, but its what my coach recommends

you need to experiment and work out what works for you - I don't like working out on carbs/protein, they make me feel sluggish. I prefer fat and protein.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    Baked/grilled/roasted chicken to fill up on protein, your choice of seasonings and sides. Any sort of leafy green would do well, although I prefer some lemon broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or sweet potato. If those vegetables aren't your thing, they will be if you roast them with olive oil and a bit of salt. You could even cook the chicken in bulk in a crockpot when you have the time and portion it out in preparation of your workout days so all you have to do is come home and heat it up. For something quicker, a shake does well in a pinch (your choice of protein powder, almond or cows milk, maybe some natural creamy peanut butter if you're not allergic). Vegetarian options would be harder to recommend, but you could always do something with egg whites if you don't wanna use too many calories or can't afford to add more in your daily fat macro.