Understanding ground beef labels

Options
Okay so when you buy ground beef, you can get regular, lean, extra lean. But when you read the nutrition label and it gives you the calories and fat per 100g, are those numbers if you just cooked the beef and ate it as is and did not drain it?? Because i always drain the fat when I cook ground beef so would my calorie and fat intake be lower that whats on the nutrition label for 100g???

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Okay so when you buy ground beef, you can get regular, lean, extra lean. But when you read the nutrition label and it gives you the calories and fat per 100g, are those numbers if you just cooked the beef and ate it as is and did not drain it?? Because i always drain the fat when I cook ground beef so would my calorie and fat intake be lower that whats on the nutrition label for 100g???
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    ?
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    OK, here's the deal with me. First, I don't like meat. I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't like meat. I gag. That being written, I do have to cook for my family. I am NOW using Angus Ground SIRLOIN. For about a one pound pack, it's equiv. to a 2 to 3 pound pack of ground beef, lean ground beef, ground chuck or ground round. I had literally no grease and I still had the same amount had I cooked down the other kinds of ground meat. Now, I know this is taking things a bit far.....but.....I do drain my meat after browning in a strainer and quickly rinse it with cold water....just to get rid of unwanted fat. But I season it with onions, garlic and some pepper - stay away from the salt. Did I answer your question properly?

Just re=read your post and I guess I didn't answer your question...however, call your local supermarket and ask for someone..like the butcher in the meat department.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
  • lilmandy89
    Options
    Thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I rinse my beef too. I rinse with hot water. Cold will cool the fat and stick.