Brown Rice: Minute Rice versus regular

Options
sjp_511
sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
I have always bought Minute Rice. It is what my mom used growing up and it is what I have always used for myself. Until today.

I went to Whole Foods today to get basil since they were out at Meijer when I did my grocery shopping yesterday. I didn't buy Minute Rice from Meijer because I didn't realize I was so low until I cooked dinner last night. So I bought rice at Whole Foods today. They did not have Minute Rice so I had to get regular. Other than taking way longer to cook (since Minute is precooked), what is the difference? Is regular rice a better choice nutritionally? Does it taste better?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have always bought Minute Rice. It is what my mom used growing up and it is what I have always used for myself. Until today.

I went to Whole Foods today to get basil since they were out at Meijer when I did my grocery shopping yesterday. I didn't buy Minute Rice from Meijer because I didn't realize I was so low until I cooked dinner last night. So I bought rice at Whole Foods today. They did not have Minute Rice so I had to get regular. Other than taking way longer to cook (since Minute is precooked), what is the difference? Is regular rice a better choice nutritionally? Does it taste better?

The difference is fiber & nutrients. Pre-cooked rice loses something in the "process." Lots of processed foods lose something. At least Minute Rice doesn't have lots of crap added.

I love the taste of Jasmine rice ....it's probably better than instant, but not as much fiber as brown rice. I get lots of fiber with other things. Unless rice is a big portion of your diet....I wouldn't worry too much.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    This is where it gets dicey...the added nutrients in fortified minute rice are actually more bioavailable than whole grain rice's...
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Of course regular rice is more nutritious and has less added "stuff" in it. However in a pinch? Minute rice is fine. I stocked up on rice-a-roni, uncle Ben's and some pasta sides to have on hand when I want a quick carb side with my meal. I chose the ones that didn't have a ton of crap in them.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I use regular rice. Jasmine is my favorite also. I have brown rice but don't use it very often. I just forget about it but making it with some chicken stock in the water adds some better flavor or you could also do a combo of regular and brown. Anything not processed is going to be better for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter which kind of rice you eat, unless that's all you eat.:wink: Taste of course is a personal thing, and if I was served minute rice I would eat it, otherwise it would be my last choice.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat minute rice and other microwaved rices, but I've recently switched to save $. I really like preparing my own rice with some low-sodium broth instead of water for flavor. I'm not sure which variety of minute brown rice you buy. I know they have some rices that don't have anything added, but I used to buy the single-serving cups, which had added soybean oil, salt, and soy lecithin. The rice you make yourself is less processed, which is why it's cheaper, but there's not a huge nutritional difference, except for any fat, sodium, and other additives that may be in the pre-made option.