What Go To Foods are in your Home at all times?

Options

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I had to stop at the store to pick up more eggs, because that is something I don't like to be out of. I'd suggest the following items

Oatmeal, sweet potatoes, almond milk, popcorn (kernels and air pop it yourself). peanut butter, almonds. tea / coffee and honey.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My weekends are very unstructured and my eating used to be as well. So now I make sure that my meals and snacks are posted before I even go into my weekend. One less thing to worry about.

I keep fruit, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hot chocolate, cheese and nuts around. But I don't just pick, pick, pick. I measure and weigh everything.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, bananas, protein powder, bacon and wine.
    ETA: ice-cream!! *smh, how'd I almost forget that??!?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, high fiber/high protein cereal, quinoa (make a big batch at once), egg whites, protein powder/smoothie ingredients, canned beans (rinse first).

Can you talk with you hubby about finding modified recipes that you guys can both eat? His food choices will probably catch up with him someday--you'll be helping his health while making it seem like he's doing it to help you out! :)
  • bieryhousehold
    Options
    I use baked turkey meatballs. I make packages of five meatballs and freeze them then pull one package out in the mornings on the days my family will be home. I have something yummy on hand and then can easily resist pizza or nachos or whatever else husband and three boys can eat. The key is flavor so you don't feel deprived and can manage feeling hungry. Use lots of spices and flavors, soy sauce and teriyaki are great!
  • strongestgirl10
    strongestgirl10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Salad bags, tuna, chicken thighs, rice cakes, turkey, mixed veg bags, oranges, bananas, yogurt cups, nuts of all sorts, peanut butter, cheese strings and protein powder.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    eggs
    carrots and hummus
    carrots and nut butter
    mixed nuts

These are the foods I always stock to snack on.
  • tugten
    tugten Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    eggs only use half the yolks, wild salmon in packets , bananas, spinach for low cal baked spinach bites , beans, romaine lettuce, carrots, cooked chicken, oatmeal, low cal cheese, pita bread, tea with low fat milk , frozen fruits and veggies.

Make most of your dinners on the weekend. Have them ready. That way you know exactly what you're having and avoid the temptation. And make do ahead treats as well. I slow cook sliced apples and add oatmeal and cereal for crunch topping
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To answer the title:

When I shop, I buy meat, dairy, breads and cereals, fruits and veggies, and then I replenish my supply of staples such as flour, sugar, pasta/rice, seasonings, condiments, etc. I typically don't buy anything that I'd call a "go to" food because with the exception of a few family favorites, we eat a lot of different things.

To answer the OP:

The only time I make separate meals is when I want to eat something that my husband can not due to Crohn's disease, like tacos or chili.

We eat ribs as often as we can afford to do so, but we never get the baby-back style. I like the STL style or the country style. There isn't enough meat on the baby back ones.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    We always have:

peanut butter (make our own), avocadoes, clementines, apples, english muffins, bacon, chicken sausages, ground turkey, bell peppers, chocolate and baby carrots.

Other things rotate. As for OP- I almost never make separate meals. I may make an extra or different side dish, or we may have different snacks, but only cook one meal.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I always have:
    Chocolite Triple Chocolate Fudge Protein Bars (www.healthsmart.com)
    Snyders mini twists (portioned out into single serving zip-lock-style baggies)
    Greek Yogurt
    Low-fat String Cheese

My husband always has:
    Cliffbuilder bars (protein bars)
    peanut butter crackers
    Chocolite Cashew Caramel bars
    cashews
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Just add a healthier side option for yourself. Instead of fries and mac salad, have a salad, steamed cauliflower, baked potato or other veggie. Even when my hubby fixes a pasta dish as the main course, I have a few bites then have veggies on the side.

Things I always have in the house are salad greens, mushrooms, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, sweet or regular potatoes, canned veggies and cheese.
  • TheWretchedFat
    TheWretchedFat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks and carrots! :)
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatloaf muffins!
    Here's a link to how to make them:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm

Soo awesome.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    IIFYM...... If It Fits Your Macros

If it fits and meets your goals..... EAT IT.

- I really do like spaghetti squash for dinner with some lean turkey and hot sauce.

- Quest Bars

- Protein cakes.... 1 scoop protein powder, 1 serving instant pancake mix, 2-4oz of water.... stir up and heat for 90 seconds and top with what you want.

- Oatmeal
    - Sweet potatoes with some Splenda brown sugar = GODLY

You can eat anything like I said. Just make sure you don't go over calories.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I DO agree with those who say "you can eat anything if you stick to portions that fit your calories" and such...I eat ice cream and pad Thai and some processed foods myself, at times. But I also know it can be a very slippery slope, when there's a lack of vegetables and a surplus of sugary, salty, fatty things around it can really cause one to slip back into old habits and/or overeat at times.

I'm lucky in that my husband eats even healthier than I do, or at least equally so. He is usually a great influence on me and 95% of the time we cook and eat the same meals. However in the past I was married to a different man who basically lived off pizza, canned biscuits, chicken alfredo pasta, and Little Debbie cakes. That makes it tempting to just eat junk, too...or think "anything I eat is better than what he's having". So I can see the need, at times, to make separate meals!

At any given time, we have the following in our kitchen:

some sort of bread (or Sandwich Skinnies)
    eggs (for omelettes, egg salad, egg tacos, etc)
    many different types of beans
    brown and white rice
    frozen fruits and vegetables
    bag of some sort of shredded cheese (or block that may be sliced/shredded)
    Morningstar Farms veggie burger patties
    plain Greek yogurt
    variety of different nuts

We usually have lettuce, baby spinach, hummus, and fresh veggies as well, but sometimes not. Frozen fruits & veg aren't my preference but they are wonderful during winter or when the fridge is bare.

I can usually throw together a stir fry or have a veggie burger and/or salad. Grilled cheese with spinach, onions, mushrooms...or avocado, even.

French toast with sugar free syrup is another of my "go to" meals when I either don't have a lot of calories left in the day or just don't like what my husband's having (rare).

HTH!
  • beckslou0702
    Options
    I find its a good idea to cook both the same, only maybe include a bit more for partner if the aren't sticking to it .. e.g il have a salmon fillet with broccoli and cauliflower and my partner the same but ill make him some boiled potatoes with it as more filling for him etc. Always have frozen veg in the house - quick to cook :) also fruit :) x
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Fruit and cereal
  • buddypaws123
    Options
    2% cottage cheese and dark chocolate!
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much all of the cooking in our house, since my husband's kitchen skills are frightening, so this isn't a HUGE problem for me, but I do like to keep some back-ups in place for when I really don't feel like cooking, etc. We typically have at least berry mix (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries), chicken breasts, and edamame in the freezer. Because I do smoothies for breakfast most mornings, we almost always have bananas and some type of leafy green (spinach or kale), and since my husband is a total freak for yogurt, we often have that, too. I like to have low-sodium canned chicken noodle soup and low-sodium black beans on hand, too. So, those are probably my most common go-to's so that I don't have to worry about eating junk. Although, like some others have already said, every once in a while, throw together a salad and eat that with the ribs; nom!