Eating too quickly

Options
Does anyone else have this problem? I've gotten pretty good at finding low calorie, filling foods, and even when I'm starving I manage to go for them instead of something greasier. But I have a serious problem with scarfing down my food. I was told in school that the nerves in your stomach are ten minutes behind the ones in your brain- i.e. you're full ten minutes before you feel full- so eating quickly is an issue. I'll finish my low calorie meal (which even if I'm hungry is more than enough to fill me) but I do it so fast that I think I'm still hungry afterwards.

Does anyone have tips for how not to do this? I can't be the only one with this issue.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I have this problem...I've learned all sorts of nice information about myself in the process...

for instance, I had no idea that my body has as much trouble digesting strawberries as it does corn kernels...
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My wife thought she would be sneaky and buy smaller silverware. She didn't realize the "shovel and plow" method still works.

If you have table manners, smaller utensils might help...

Try counting, or taking a sip of water between bites
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I have this problem!! I'm always the first to finish my food, especially when it's something messy like a sandwich. It's embarassing. I'll be checking back for tips!
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bump. need help with this.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    or chew a certain amount of times before swallowing
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Put your food on two separate plates, leave one in the kitchen and take one to the table. Eat the first as if it were your only plate, then drink a full glass of water. Then get up and bring the second plate.

I live alone so it might be strange to do this out or with others, but I find it works well for me!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water as you eat. It will help fill you up and slow you down.
  • newmanthereasa
    newmanthereasa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have this problem! I still haven't quite gotten the part down about going for healthier snacks. I am hypoglycemic so I have learned the hard way that if I don't have smaller, more frequent good snacks(an apple, an orange, ff yogurt, nuts and dried berrie) I will at suppertime go for the first thing I see and shovel it all in my mouth because I am STARVING! This helps somewhat but I still eat too fast. I have tried slowing down and talking more at dinner--like I tell my 3yr old, cant eat and talk at the same time. My mother suggested instead of going for seconds after wolfing down the first healthy sized serving to drink a glass of milk. So...I don't know! I'd be very interested in more tips!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and often end up over full. I'm getting better at chugging water say, after I finish one taco or after I finish half a cheeseburger. It helps and I usually don't go for seconds.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have this problem? I've gotten pretty good at finding low calorie, filling foods, and even when I'm starving I manage to go for them instead of something greasier. But I have a serious problem with scarfing down my food. I was told in school that the nerves in your stomach are ten minutes behind the ones in your brain- i.e. you're full ten minutes before you feel full- so eating quickly is an issue. I'll finish my low calorie meal (which even if I'm hungry is more than enough to fill me) but I do it so fast that I think I'm still hungry afterwards.

Does anyone have tips for how not to do this? I can't be the only one with this issue.

My son and I have always been the last ones done at the table because we talk so much during dinner. If I'm eating alone, I'll read while eating, that slows me down. Also, try to think about carefully chewing each bite completely before swallowing. Then you are conscious of keeping the food in your mouth and swallowing before putting any more in there.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I eat too fast sometimes.

The only thing that works is consciously telling myself to eat more slowly and savour the flavour. That might seem obvious, but it soon becomes second nature.
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I blame elementary school and high school for this. I only had 30 minutes in elementary and 25 in high school to get from class to the caf, get my lunch, get to our seating area (about a five minute walk away from the cafeteria) and eat lunch. Goodness me if I had something else to get accomplished during lunch. After all of those years eating quickly I still eat way too fast unless I'm really thinking about slowing down. When I do think about it, I put down my fork after every bite, chew completely, swallow and then take one or two sips of water. Talking can help, but I find I get distracted sometimes and before I know it, my plate is empty.
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I've always been the same. I think it stemmed from when I was a kid first, I had to eat quickly in school and I was so busy after school that I would eat quickly to get to the activity I had to get to on time. Now that I have time as an adult, I still eat so quickly that I want more and more food. I've learned that when I finish my meal, even if I feel hungry, I'm not. If I'm out to eat I portion half and ask for a take home box RIGHT AWAY so I don't eat half and then think I'm still hungry and go to eat the other half. It works out. I also drink a full, cold glass of water after my meal.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have this problem !
    And it is indeed embarrassing. I will be checking back for tips!

I did find an interesting article on the topic...
    http://summertomato.com/how-to-become-a-slow-eater/
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I do this too! I am ALWAYS the first one finished, and it is quite embarrassing! I have started trying to be more aware of slowing down a bit, but it is definitely a struggle sometimes since it is just something i do out of habit without thinking.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Try one or all of the following:

1. Put your eating utensil down or set the food down (burger, wrap, etc.) on the plate between each bite.
    2. Chew your bites at least 20 times before swallowing.
    3. Sip water throughout the meal.

Hope this helps!
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    All these suggestions are really great. Thanks for your help, guys!
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Take a bite, put your fork down. Chew, chew, chew, chew, chew and chew even more. Repeat.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I tired the whole take a bite put my fork down... doesn't really work for me, because i can do that for about the first 5 bites then i get distracted again, so for me the easiest thing is portion control. I just get a set amount of food, and thats it, if i want to scarf it I scarf it, but i dont eat anymore.... Im sure thats not exactly what you were looking for, but changing the speed at which you eat seems like a much harder task than just control the amount you eat regardless of the time it takes.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Put down your utensils (or if it's something like a sandwich, get your hands off it and put it down) while you are chewing. Don't pick it up again until you have swallowed. Also, take the time to really savor your food as you chew. This is the most difficult part for me,but well worth it. Give this a try.