Need Beginner DVD recommendation

AngelaHMiller
AngelaHMiller Posts: 1 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I am in TERRIBLE condition and need to be able to do a workout DVD at home. I am walking consistently, but know I need to up the cardio and strength training. I am over 50 yrs. old. Every exercise video I have ever seen is really just a different "cheerleader" trying to get me to do *whatever's popular* form of calisthenics. B-O-R-I-N-G and TOO HARD. Even yoga is boring and too hard. And Pilates or kickboxing---don't even think about it--I don't have an "abdominal core." HELP! Three fourths of the problem is my attitude---I do not want to do the work. But please help me to make the work as interesting and attainable as possible !

Replies

• Workout videos are all the same song, different verse. If you find four of them boring, chances are, you'll find them all boring.

If you like walking -- which is both cardio and weight bearing strength -- increase your distance and speed. Find light hand weights that you can easily carry while walking. Once you get used to them, find ankle weights. Walking is a tried and true form of working out.
  • SLim in 6 - might interest you ????? It's a good beginner workout that incorporates both cardio and strength training.

Turbo Jam is fun and it's a good place to start. Plus Chalene (the trainer) is the best!!! Lots of fun! I will send you clips of these!
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    SLim in 6 - might interest you ????? It's a good beginner workout that incorporates both cardio and strength training.

Turbo Jam is fun and it's a good place to start. Plus Chalene (the trainer) is the best!!! Lots of fun! I will send you clips of these!

I'd say Turbo Jam or maybe HipHop abs, since they have good music that makes it more interesting.

BUt you need to fix your attitude, changing won't happen over night and if you're not willing to put forth the effort to change, you're going to be stuck where you're at if its too hard, modify it until its bareable and then push your limits. If its too boring, then it could be the DVD or its because you picked something too easy.
  • raziyad
    raziyad Posts: 17 Member
    I think you might like turbo jam. Chalene is very motivational and you can start out with a 15 min workout to learn the moves, a 20 min workout, and then it moves up to 45 minutes when you are ready. The music is also really good for motivation.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    leslie sansone leslie sansone leslie sansone. walk away the pounds is the absolute BEST.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    I really like Jillian's 30 day shred. Yes it is hard, but if you want to strenghten your core....it is the best!! I also like Biggest Loser Bootcamp with Bob and BL Last Chance workout with Jillian. They all do cardio and strength training and the workouts are only 30 minutes. You can do anything for 30 minutes, right?
    If you don't like to workout, then you won't like any DVD that you try. You need to look at a workout DVD as a chance to make your next 50 yrs the best of your life!! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.