too much protein

Options
BrenNew
BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
I'm fairly new (8 days-4 lbs.!) and discovered pretty much from the beginning that I go WAY over with my protein. I always have extra calories and carbs, but, boy, it's the protein that I am having a really hard time controlling!
I have been walking alot for exercise, just so that I can get a slightly higher allowable amount of protein! Does anyone have any (tasty) suggestions for what to put between bread for lunch, other than meat or eggs? I can only eat just so much salad, (it's not my favorite thing!) and I need to have quite a few proteins left for supper, which normally consists of one meat or another.
I'd appreciate any ideas on foods that are GOOD tasting,as well as filling, but don't have much protein.

Replies

• BrenNew
    Options
    I'm fairly new (8 days-4 lbs.!) and discovered pretty much from the beginning that I go WAY over with my protein. I always have extra calories and carbs, but, boy, it's the protein that I am having a really hard time controlling!
    I have been walking alot for exercise, just so that I can get a slightly higher allowable amount of protein! Does anyone have any (tasty) suggestions for what to put between bread for lunch, other than meat or eggs? I can only eat just so much salad, (it's not my favorite thing!) and I need to have quite a few proteins left for supper, which normally consists of one meat or another.
    I'd appreciate any ideas on foods that are GOOD tasting,as well as filling, but don't have much protein.
  • momondago
    Options
    I'm on the completely other end of that spectrum, I'm usually grossly under with protein. Maybe we can come up with a middle?

A typical day for me consists of cottage cheese or a chicken breast for protein. If I'm really hungry in the morning I may go so far as to have an egg.

I find I need a protein in the middle of the day to keep me going so I try to avoid having protein for breakfast and then have cottage cheese or a chicken breast or something like that in my lunch. I could skip protein at dinner all together and sometimes do but my hubby is a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy so it's there for dinner almost every night.

I don't particularly enjoy salads either so I chop up fresh veggies and bring a bit of italian dressing for dipping and munch on that as an alternative to salad but I very, very seldom bring a sandwhich. I either do leftovers from the night before with about a half serving of protein (if there is any left) or cottage cheese/yogurt. My vice for getting through the day is lots of fresh fruits. I love strawberries so I wash and chop enough for an entire week and pack them in bags so I can grab and go. They are sweet, which helps curb my sweet tooth and I can pick at them like a snack which is very satisfying for me.

Maybe try having a half serving of protein instead of a full? That might help pull your numbers together???
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, especially the strawberries for snacks idea!
    I'd never be able to eat the cottage cheese though, YUCK! I've always hated it! LOL.
    I have problems sleeping, so I'm VERY hungry when I start each day, and need SOMETHING that's going to fill me up till lunch time. I know oatmeal and fiber cereals are filling, but, hmmm, then hours later there's a problem with "gas"! LOL. So, I try not to have those things unless I'm home and can "toot" away! LOL.
    So, for breakfast, I either have a piece of 35 calorie oatmeal toast with 2 tbls. Smart Balance Omega peanut butter, or I have egg beaters with a piece of cheese and my low cal. toast. Those two breakfasts USUALLY last me till lunch.
    Now, before I started with this site, I usually ate left overs for lunch, but, they were always pretty much meat and potatoes.
    And as I've already mentioned, we pretty much have meat and either potatoes, rice or noodles for supper every night, so that's why I've been going way over on my protein.
    I've just gotta have food that's FILLING, but not so full of fiber that . . . (well, you know!) LOL.
  • honeybee71
    Options
    I go over on my protien and carbs a lot and will still have fat and calories to use. I'm not sure what more to do. My dietitian is very happy with my diet. I have 3 milk servings a day, 5-6 fruits and veggies and 2 lean meats plus about 5 servings of grains/starches. I figure as long as I am well balanced, I'm good.
  • momondago
    Options
    How about eggs on toast for breaky? I find dairy packs a punch when it comes to protein so I keep myself down to two small servings a day. I'd try cutting protein portions in half for a day or two and see if that makes a difference for you. Maybe have 1tbsp of peanut butter instead of two or something like that. I had to experiment a lot before I found something that worked for me for weight loss. My nemisis is cheese so I just don't eat it because one slice is never enough. I also know carbs go straight to my hips and spread so I keep those lower too. If protein keeps you healthy and feeling good then maybe try experimenting a bit with some other food groups. As always, portion control is huge (and probably the worst part of the journey we're all on :smile: )
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Hmm, you got THAT right! Portion control has ALWAYS been my biggest problem!
    It's nice to know that I'm not alone in that! Thanks for your helpful advice!
  • BrenNew
    Options
    I'm sure my Dr. would be happy too with me these days, since like you, I'm eating alot more healthy, what with all the veggies and fruits!
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    I had too much protein too. Can this prevent weight loss?
  • boxergirl2008
    Options
    Hi,

This prohealth net........... looks like a good site.

It has this article on high protien consumption......

http://www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/archive/index.php/t-331.html

I find it really hard to eat less protien...........