Weird heart rate reactions

Options
Hey everone,
I just came back from a nice, calm 1-hour-run that I didn't perceive as exhausting and if it weren't for my untrained hip muscles I could have kept running for another hour.
However, my HRM shows that my HR was between 165 and 170 the whole time. As I am 29 my HRmax is around 191 and so I run theoratically at about 87.5% of my HRmax. I know that the formula "HRmax=220-age" is not accurate so my HRmax could actually be much higher.
What confuses me is that despite having a resting HR of 60, it goes up to around 120-130 in many everyday tasks (like tidying up) but as soon as I sit down it goes down instantly. So it seems as if my HR would fluctuate a lot and be moderatly high whenever I start moving a tiny little bit (and goes back to normal as soon as I stop). Do you experience that, too? I can't recall any problems, I recently had an Electrocardiography which turned out perfectly normal.
I suspected that my HRM could not be accurate after my HR went up to 188 in a Zumba class that was intense but not as much as 98.5% of the average HRmax of people my age. I thus compared the values my HRM gave me to the values that the sphygmomanometer (obviously one that measures HR) of my mom showed. The values were about the same and as the sphygmomanometer is really high quality (as in "Made to be used in clinics"), I guess the values are right.
So, does any of you experience the same?
Also, does this affect my TDEE? Obviously it does not affect my BMR, but some formulas that calculate the number of calories burned during a certain activity use the heart rate during the activity as there is some sort of correlation (even if I don't know what sort of link there is between HR and calories) and my HRM calculates how many calories I burned during while exercising (including also data about age, weight etc.). So if my HR increases a lot during everyday tasks does that mean that my TDEE is higher than the one of other people with the same level of activity. I don't know if that makes sense and if my information is accurate, but it would explain my weight loss pattern, I guess.
Any opinion?

Replies

• mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Are you ingesting a lot of stimulants either in coffee or energy drinks/pre-workout? Also be sure to check the side effects of any meds you are on. For instance if a med you are on makes you prone to hypotension you could be getting a reflex tachycardia from that or it may be causing the bouts of tachycardia outright. Also are you consciously aware of your heart beat when it's that fast? Does it feel like it's racing or pounding? If so you may want to get in and see a cardiologist as you could have palpitations and some sort of SVT or atrial tachycardia.
  • kathrinnbauer
    kathrinnbauer Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good question. That seems obvious but I haven't thought of it it might be due to meds and/or coffee. Do you know that this can happen or is it just an educated guess. It seems logical to me, but is that some hard fact or should I better do some research on that?
    Fortunately I do not feel bad when my heart rate goes up. I don't even notice it. Some days - not when I do sport - I feel as if I had hypotension, but when I measure my blood pressure it is normal. But as it might be med-related, I guess I should ask my docotr the next time and I should better care about what my HRM says even if I don't feel bad I guess.
    I started using a HRM about the same time as I started the meds so I don't know if the two things are related or not.