Puking while exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine not eating before your work out don't eat. I used to work out in the mornings and only ate breakfast after.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, so your trainer's advice might not apply to you. Try not eating before working out, but maybe bring something with you for afterwards, like some trail mix or a granola bar and fruit. I've never had this problem and I can't work out well without something in my stomach. If you need something, a smoothie with some protein powder, a frozen banana, unsweetened almond milk or low-fat milk, and a tablespoon of peanut butter is my pre-workout go-to.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do you also eat dinner late? I do crossfit at 5:00 am, and I've found that if, for whatever reason, I ate late the night before, then I get close to puke-point during my workout. It's unavoidable, sometimes, because I run after work, and don't get home/ready to eat dinner until 8 pm.
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In addition to playing around with which foods work best (or not) on workout mornings, I second the advice to pay attention to the intensity. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, that's a place to start, because often the heart rate readings on machines is ridiculously off.

Using the HRM will give you a sense of what your training zones should be (mine, for example, look nothing like what the textbooks say) and where you're at in them while working out. For example, this morning I was working out with my trainer and I could tell from the HRM numbers (and how I was starting to feel!) that we were pushing a little too hard. Even though we took lots of breaks to let my heart rate recover, I felt lightheaded after the workout, despite having had my totally normal breakfast and plenty of water.

I also know that feeling you mean in your stomach -- and I know how high my heart rate has to be and approx for how long before it triggers it. Using an HRM helps prevent me from getting into that position in the first place.

Good luck!
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Drink fruit juice or coffee before gym but nothing hard to digest
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How much have you changed your pattern recently? Is the exercise thing new? What time are you eating compared to what your body has been used to knowing is 'breakfast time'?

I've noticed my stomach takes a while to wake up, and putting food into it before it's ready gets uncomfortable.

I used to stick to meal shakes before long runs so as not to worry about digestive issues, but now I don't bother with anything. My mom gives me a bad time about this and says I'll have heart problems or something later...my partner read up on it and said so long as you're not feeling hungry or faint, it's fine.

Try something simpler like some juice - you'll keep the blood sugar up and have *some* calories to burn, but it might settle better than the granola bar/bagel. (If you're concerned about puking though I'd start with something less acidic than orange juice, that sounds painful to vomit).

Also consider if you push too hard too fast at the gym, but if that seems unlikely, I'd recommend trying something liquid/lighter, and then have a 'real' breakfast post-workout.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have to wait a couple hours after eating before exercising or I feel like ralphing. I can't drink a ton of water before or during either, only sips. After the workout, I get a big drink.
  • saffron981
    saffron981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have successfully worked out on an empty stomach, BUT I find that I work out a lot harder and longer when I've had a little someting to eat. You should try working out on an empty stomach to see which type you are.

Before my workouts, I do a green smoothie--spinach (or other greens), berries (sometimes), and stevia leaf mixed with water. My smoothies typically have 50-80 calories, mostly from veggie sugar. It really energizes me, but is extremely light and easy on the stomach.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't know who this clown is that told you not eating would make you faint. Truth is, energy is stored in your muscles as Adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This is done several hours before you workout. You muscles hold approximately 90 minutes worth of usable energy. Once you run out of ATP then your body will turn to other sources which is when you will start to get that sick to your stomach feeling (Low Blood Sugar). You should be fine to workout first thing in the morning. I would just make sure your last meal is about 3 hours prior to going to sleep.

By the way the creation of ATP can be more quickly completed by eating fruits and simple carbs directly following a workout. If your muscles are full; then the carbs are converted to fat and stored for future use.

By the way this is a very watered down explanation, if you really want the science google it. Cellular respiration is actually a pretty interesting subject. To me anyways!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I don't know who this clown is that told you not eating would make you faint. Truth is, energy is stored in your muscles as Adenosine triphosphate (ATP). This is done several hours before you workout. You muscles hold approximately 90 minutes worth of usable energy. Once you run out of ATP then your body will turn to other sources which is when you will start to get that sick to your stomach feeling (Low Blood Sugar). You should be fine to workout first thing in the morning. I would just make sure your last meal is about 3 hours prior to going to sleep.

By the way the creation of ATP can be more quickly completed by eating fruits and simple carbs directly following a workout. If your muscles are full; then the carbs are converted to fat and stored for future use.

By the way this is a very watered down explanation, if you really want the science google it. Cellular respiration is actually a pretty interesting subject. To me anyways!

As someone who has damn near fainted from trying to workout in the morning with no food in, this does happen, so I wouldn't say it's bad advice, just not applicable to everyone.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I had not tried working out without eating before. With what my trainer said, I just started eating less like just having half a bagel or an apple and it still wasn't working. So, I'll try that and just drink a ton of water before and during and maybe that will solve the problem.

Ehhh, drinking a ton of water might cause you to have the same problem lol Moderation kiddo.

Also, I workout in the mornings on weekends, and I've found that I need to give myself an hour of awakedness before I hit the gym. Otherwise I feel like barfing, whether I ate something or not.
  • Austadophilus5
    Options
    How much have you changed your pattern recently? Is the exercise thing new? What time are you eating compared to what your body has been used to knowing is 'breakfast time'?

I've noticed my stomach takes a while to wake up, and putting food into it before it's ready gets uncomfortable.

I used to stick to meal shakes before long runs so as not to worry about digestive issues, but now I don't bother with anything. My mom gives me a bad time about this and says I'll have heart problems or something later...my partner read up on it and said so long as you're not feeling hungry or faint, it's fine.

Try something simpler like some juice - you'll keep the blood sugar up and have *some* calories to burn, but it might settle better than the granola bar/bagel. (If you're concerned about puking though I'd start with something less acidic than orange juice, that sounds painful to vomit).

Also consider if you push too hard too fast at the gym, but if that seems unlikely, I'd recommend trying something liquid/lighter, and then have a 'real' breakfast post-workout.

Well, I just started back working out after six months of really no activity while I was in school. And I've never tried a gym before now, so I would say that since I'm paying for the gym, I am trying to work with more intensity than I was doing before. I'm new to living alone and I got really sick over Christmas, so I figured I better work way harder to get into shape.

The gym is new, but I've been mainly working between the elliptical and the cycling machines and then doing weight lifting afterwards. As for my breakfast habits, I used to never really eat anything for breakfast. I usually skipped and just ate lunch instead, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it. But I figured if I was working out like I am now, I should start eating breakfast again.

Anyways, the advice is very helpful and I'll go to the gym tomorrow without eating beforehand and see how I feel. If I feel anything, I'll just try a breakfast shake or smoothie and see where that goes.
  • stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like to eat within 2 hours prior to working out. Problems with dry throat? Chew a piece of gum until you get warmed up. When I run, I always get dry throat for the first .5 mile or so. I chew a half piece of gum which keeps the juices flowing. Once I get warmed up, I spit it out (I hate chewing gum.).