camping

razorbecky
razorbecky Posts: 134
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Going camping this weekend for 4 days with about 5 other families, any ideas on some snacks I can take with me so I wonit feel deprived, while the others are pigging out?

Replies

• skyski_tige
    skyski_tige Posts: 67 Member
    Almonds, cut up celery, cut up red or yellow bell peppers are some of my snacking items
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    salsa and anything! :tongue:

what are your cravings? sweet? salty? what do you usually
    have for a snack at home?

for dessert, core an apple, place into foil, put a few red hots candies
    in the middle, wrap the foil around and place on the fire.........
    baked cinnamon apple!!!
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    raw almonds
    walnuts
    fresh fruit
    dried fruit
    brown rice crackers

If you like crunchy you could make some healthy chips ahead of time to bring.

Whole wheat pita bread - sliced in half so you have two large circles
    mix some olive oil with a little garlic salt and basil
    brush on pita halves
    bake about 8-10 minutes until golden brown
    break into pieces and store in tupperware

These are delicious on their own and even better with some salsa.

Karen
  • nuts! they come in sweet varieties and salty varieties and just plain delicious on their own varieties!

also....is it just camping? or is there hiking involved because if there's hiking involved then you actually probably SHOULD be eating more then usual....hiking burns sooooooooo many calories! D:

HAVE FUN! :D
  • for dessert, core an apple, place into foil, put a few red hots candies
    in the middle, wrap the foil around and place on the fire.........
    baked cinnamon apple!!!

also...this! do it! so delicious and even though it has candies in it its not that bad for you! (you COULD subsitute real cinnamon....i've done that before but the red hots really make this dish! mmmmmm i cant wait for it to be camping season here again!)
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    great ideas.....have fun!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    We go camping a lot and i know how hard it is to watch everyone sit there and pig out but i always bring Trail mix (without m&m's) tons of fruit, veggie sticks so if you go hiking you can throw them in a backpack. Tons of water to keep me feeling full and won't want to pig out. At night sitting around the camp fire while everyone is eating smore's enjoy some whole fiber oatmeal cookies but just limit how many you eat and remember your out camping and if your hiking, fishing you'll be burning a lot of calories so enjoying 1 bad meal won't destroy your diet!! Hope you have a wonderful camping trip
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    raw almonds
    walnuts
    fresh fruit
    dried fruit
    brown rice crackers

If you like crunchy you could make some healthy chips ahead of time to bring.

Whole wheat pita bread - sliced in half so you have two large circles
    mix some olive oil with a little garlic salt and basil
    brush on pita halves
    bake about 8-10 minutes until golden brown
    break into pieces and store in tupperware

These are delicious on their own and even better with some salsa.

Karen

They sound yum!!

I've just come back from camping (not by choice but because I'm poorley :( ) and I took with me:

Almonds
    Fruit
    Raw Veggies
    Cereal bars
    Peanut butter (to spread on apples or dip in carrot sticks etc)
    Low Cal/High Fibre crackers
    Eggs - I like to snack on hard boiled eggs and they're good to add to salads :)

Have fun! :)
    -x-
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    when I go camping I cut watermelon into chunks and keep it in the ice chest in a tuperware container it is really cold and refreshing. also you can cut a banana down the center keep it in the peel fill the center with a few mini marshmellows and chocolate chips and wrap in aluminium foil and cook in the fire until the chocolate and marshmellows are melty, YUM. you can also bring granola bars, popcorn, have fun and get alot of hiking in ......
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    I'm doing the whole camping thing this weekend as well. I stay fairly active when camping so I don't stick so much to low calorie, but I do try to be careful about how far off I go, so I always bring the following:

any kinds of fresh fruit
    protein bars for hiking
    homemade trail mix with dried fruit, healthy nuts, Cheerios or Chex cereal (any healthy cereal) and pretzels
    Popcorn to be popped over the fire
    Baked apples: wrap apple in aluminum foil after coring and stuffing with marshmallow and cinnamon; bake in fire.
    carrots and ranch
    Sliced cucumbers...yum

Lots and Lots of water.

Have FUN!!!
This discussion has been closed.