Calories vs Exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This seems like a big argumentative talk on myfitnesspal. When it comes to calories and exercising I try not to eat back my exercise calories, but if I am super hungry still then yes I will eat SOME of them back. No need to starve yourself because you don't want to eat some of your workout calories. Everyone is different though and you just need to find what feels the most comfortable to you and what makes you lose the most weight.

The point of eating calories back is not to lose the MOST weight, or even just to stave off hunger. The point of eating calories back is to lose the most FAT. Of course people who eat none of their exercise calories lose the most "weight." But healthy weight loss should be about reducing body fat % .....not just moving the number on the scale.

Hunger is not a good indicator.....drinking 400 calories in soda is not filling......eating 400 calories in lettuce is filling......but neither helps to sustain muscle (while eating at a calorie deficit).

Agree.

There really shouldn't be an argument over whether or not to eat your exercise calories back. That's how the program was designed. It seems silly to sign up for a program, input your specific goals and personal information, and then deliberately follow it the wrong way.

If you're not sure that your calorie burn is accurate, you can round down or eat a portion of your exercise calories. But at 1200 calories, it's especially important that you keep an eye on your nutrition and make sure you're fueling your body appropriately.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You really want to exercise to build muscle tone, which will burn fat for you. You burn protein exercising, and some fat, but mostly protein.. Low balling your calories in the short term will work, but it is counter productive in the long term.

You can't build muscle in a calorie deficit.

That is basically the point of my response.

It may be what you meant, but not exactly what you said.
    In high intensity workouts you burn Carbs.
    In low intensity workouts you burn Fat.
    Only when you body is desperate (Like when you are trying to eat 1,200 cals, and burn 3,000) does it eat Pro, as it needs that to replace the muscle cells that die (they do all the time) and get damaged.
    Meanwhile, please wander over and let Scooby explain it to you a bit better than I can: http://scoobysworkshop.com/does-cardio-burn-muscle/
  • Alexandria1213
    Alexandria1213 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This seems like a big argumentative talk on myfitnesspal. When it comes to calories and exercising I try not to eat back my exercise calories, but if I am super hungry still then yes I will eat SOME of them back. No need to starve yourself because you don't want to eat some of your workout calories. Everyone is different though and you just need to find what feels the most comfortable to you and what makes you lose the most weight.

The point of eating calories back is not to lose the MOST weight, or even just to stave off hunger. The point of eating calories back is to lose the most FAT. Of course people who eat none of their exercise calories lose the most "weight." But healthy weight loss should be about reducing body fat % .....not just moving the number on the scale.

Hunger is not a good indicator.....drinking 400 calories in soda is not filling......eating 400 calories in lettuce is filling......but neither helps to sustain muscle (while eating at a calorie deficit).

Agree.

There really shouldn't be an argument over whether or not to eat your exercise calories back. That's how the program was designed. It seems silly to sign up for a program, input your specific goals and personal information, and then deliberately follow it the wrong way.

If you're not sure that your calorie burn is accurate, you can round down or eat a portion of your exercise calories. But at 1200 calories, it's especially important that you keep an eye on your nutrition and make sure you're fueling your body appropriately.

I think it's all opinion, what works for you may or may not work for others. I feel that the way I do it works for ME.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think it's all opinion,

I'm not convinced that quite a large corpus of medical research really constitutes "opinion" per se. But since you choose to disagree that's entirely your choice, it's just not really the best idea to try to sell it to someone else given that the weight of evidence supports the assertion that one should consume to base matebolism.
  • Alexandria1213
    Options

I think it's all opinion,

I'm not convinced that quite a large corpus of medical research really constitutes "opinion" per se. But since you choose to disagree that's entirely your choice, it's just not really the best idea to try to sell it to someone else given that the weight of evidence supports the assertion that one should consume to base matebolism.

They posted on the boards looking for opinions, so I stated mine; just like everyone else did. They don't have to do what I am doing.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat back what I can. I think the general agreement will be to try to do just that. 1200 is before exercise. Your body needs something to run off of. I usually eat 1200-1400 even after exercise, but that's because I just eat until I'm full. And some people do get full around that point. You have to make sure your body has enough to run off of. Adequate nutrition is important. I have seen people who eat 1600 a day but burn off 400 of that and manage to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Agree.

I think it's all opinion, what works for you may or may not work for others. I feel that the way I do it works for ME.

That's like saying it is an opinion that a hammer is used to drive nail. In fact, if you are using MFP as designed then you already have a massive deficit from maintenance built in...you don't need to make it bigger with exercise...again...it's not opinion. It is the way the frackin' program is designed.

You probably use a hammer to drive screws don't you? Because that would be your opinion as to what a hammer is for?
  • Penie66
    Options
    I agree with 1,200 be a little under. Being hungry too often is not the goal. You want to be satisfied and our bodies need the calories to burn more fat. MFP does allot more calorie intake if you exercise. If you choose to log on this site, it should give you the info needed. GOOD LUCK :) Remember that those who starve themselves gain it back again and usually more!
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You really want to exercise to build muscle tone, which will burn fat for you. You burn protein exercising, and some fat, but mostly protein.. Low balling your calories in the short term will work, but it is counter productive in the long term.

Sorry but you burn carbs during exercise not protein, for energy anyways...protein is broken down for muscle growth and repair...
    Correct on the long term negative effect on low balling the calories..
  • Alexandria1213
    Options

You don't have to be rude to me because you don't agree with me.

Agree.

That's like saying it is an opinion that a hammer is used to drive nail. In fact, if you are using MFP as designed then you already have a massive deficit from maintenance built in...you don't need to make it bigger with exercise...again...it's not opinion. It is the way the frackin' program is designed.

You probably use a hammer to drive screws don't you? Because that would be your opinion as to what a hammer is for?

You don't have to be rude to me just because you don't agree with me.
  • Alexandria1213
    Options
    I agree with 1,200 be a little under. Being hungry too often is not the goal. You want to be satisfied and our bodies need the calories to burn more fat. MFP does allot more calorie intake if you exercise. If you choose to log on this site, it should give you the info needed. GOOD LUCK :) Remember that those who starve themselves gain it back again and usually more!

So true.
  • Alexandria1213
    Options
    So if I decide to only eat 1400 calories a day; which is what my body naturally burns anyway and decide to not always (which means I sometimes do) eat back my 30 minutes at the gym; thats up to me. I thought this site was about supporting and helping each other out with getting fitter and healthier. If some of you don't agree with my opinion you could try to help me and give me pointers rather than ganging up on me and basically telling me I am stupid.
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do your own research (please, please please don't just rely on these forums. Read some articles/books by doctors, nutritionist etc).
    However, I will give you my very basic opinion.
    Use the calorie counting as a guide to limit your daily intake of food in general, excerise, limit packaged food (ie eat real food) and to answer your original question, only eat if you are hungry and not to make back some made up calorie figure!
    Your body will tell you if it needs fuel or nutrients.
  • debig1007
    Options
    thank you all for your advise and opinions. I only posted becuase I was confused.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I believe MFP has it so that you eat back your calories. So by the website, you should eat back your calories.

That being said, I try not to eat back all of my calories to leave room for inaccuracies even though I do use an HRM. I just find that allowing myself to eat back most of the calories motivates me to exercise.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Agree.

Promoting malnourishment might be your opinion but it is also irresponsible and ignorant.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

So true.

@Alexandria121... maybe you can explain this to me.
    The person you replied to says you should use the system the way it is designed (Eating back your workout cals), and you agree with them...but through out the thread you are insisting that eating back your workout calories is wrong, and not what you should do.
    How does that work, exactly?
  • Alexandria1213
    Options
    I'm not trying to say its wrong at all. I was trying to say that I DO eat back my workout calories, if I am still hungry. Its just that I usually am completely full at the end of the day and don't need to eat the 300 calories I burned at the gym. I was just trying to get at is eat your back your exercise calories if you're still hungry, but don't over stuff yourself because you feel like you need to eat them back always.