HR-Monitors?

hipsgalore
hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
my HRM sucks, any suggestions? I have a timex and it drops to 50 or 60 in the middle of my work-outs for no reason.

Replies

• The HRM built into my Nordic Track Elliptical does something similar. I'll be pumping along at a pace that usually gets me up to 145-150, and I check my HR and it reads 115/120/135. What's up with that?
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    How long have you had it? Could the battery need to be changed? My Timex was doing weird things like that and I changed the battery and it seemed to be working good again.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    If you have the money to drop on a good one, I really love my Polar - I have an F11, but anything F4 and above is great..... F6's and higher won't have interference with other gym-members if you happen to work out near other people with HRM's..... good luck finding something you like!

I also got mine new on ebay.... much cheaper than I would have gotten it anywhere else, but took some time to find one that was in my price range..... it's worth a little time if you want to save some $$!

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    @ep Which battery did you change? the watch or the strap or both??
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Oh no! Hopefully a battery change will help. I just orderd the Polar F7 and am so excited. I've heard such great things.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    I've got a Polar and I love it. The watch is cute enough to wear all the time, so I do. It's very user friendly, and you can use the watch to beam your data to your computer and upload it to the Polar website for tracking purposes.

I also have a Garmin 305 GPS for my bike with a HRM. It's interesting to see the difference in calories burned when I compare it to my Polar. I've even worn them both at the same time and gotten different results. Sometimes the difference is several hundred calories, other times its just a few.

Lastly, I've got a Body Bugg like what they use on Biggest Loser. It's a nifty little device, designed to wear all day long, and it tracks many different things. The letdown on the body bugg tho is that the watch is UGLY and in order to use the device you HAVE to upload the data to their website every so often, and their website is not a free service.
  • Lastly, I've got a Body Bugg like what they use on Biggest Loser. It's a nifty little device, designed to wear all day long, and it tracks many different things. The letdown on the body bugg tho is that the watch is UGLY and in order to use the device you HAVE to upload the data to their website every so often, and their website is not a free service.

I think that's called being bent over a barrel. :ohwell:

Geeze, not only do you pay them money when you first buy the thing, but you have to pay subscription fees for use of the product as well? Tad skeevy.
  • jha1223
    jha1223 Posts: 141 Member
    The Mrs. and I are in the market for an HRM as well. Some are 30 dollars, some are 200. I know you "get what you pay for", but good lord... that's a bit of a gap. i looked at the Polar ones (which people swear by) and there are just full of features.
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    I just ordered a Polar FT7 I can't wait to get in the mail!!!
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    @ep Which battery did you change? the watch or the strap or both??

Sorry, I didn't specify that.. I changed the battery in the watch. I might try both, though, to be sure.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Yeah, looks like I'll be visiting my running store once the refund for the HRM I bought *yesterday* goes back into my account. I had to take it back this morning because it wasn't working other than as a watch. It worked yesterday (meaning the chest strap) when I put it on to test it while getting ready to go somewhere. Then this morning I put it on to track things while I walked to the drug store for some things and came back...and the chest strap would not register. At all. No matter WHAT I did. And there is no reason I should have to replace a battery on something I bought YESTERDAY. That tells me it's been sitting around in a warehouse somewhere for FAR too long. So back to the generic sporting goods store I went. The manager tried to convince me to just exchange it, but I held firm. I politely told him the only possible explanation was that the battery was dead, and for something I just bought, that shouldn't be the case and led me to the conclusion that these things were sitting around for FAR too long before being put out for sale. He couldn't argue with that, so I got the refund.

Now to see how long it takes to process through my bank... Then I'll go to my running store and spend the money on a Polar.
This discussion has been closed.