How to add food to "my food" list?

Options
I use the same foods regulary and would like to make a more personal list. Ive created "my meals" but id like to have the option to add my food individually if i need to. So when i "add" a food, instead of going to "my meals" id like to go to "my food" but i cant work out how to transfer the food to that list.

Thanks

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you use the same foods regularly, it should be on your "Recently Used" or your "Frequently Used" list.
  • khugg2018
    khugg2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I've scanned in a lot of food and want them to go under MY FOODS, but can't figure out how to transfer them. I read in a post from 2012 that you can't transfer them that you have to manually enter them. If this is the case I will cancel my membership. Please someone help.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Use the food frequently. It will pop up in your list. Your list used to be able to be sorted both by most recent OR alphabetically.

Alphabetically, imho, is not ideal for speed logging but can be manipulated to do what you want better.

It only stores a number of foods per first letter. But I'm fairly sure you can add numbers and increase your categories sufficiently to have your extra own foods.

Also when you create food names you could include a unique identifier. For example you could save 1 Otto_I food name and then even on a general search could just look for otto_i which would bring up your stuff only since it's unlikely that other Holy Roman emperors would have created food entries (thus not using 0-9 to increase the recent list beyond alphabetical)

Disclaimer: several years since I've logged on MFP so things may have changed. Recent food list is something that MFP did really well
  • Dhelstro
    Dhelstro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I can't just create a list of my foods so I can customize a meal? Is the only way to use this app is to create a meal? I don't always eat the same meals.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Most of the foods I eat are on my Recent or Frequent lists. Frequent is great for things like veggies and staples that I eat at least weekly. I eat a fairly consistent diet, so the only time I need to look up a food is if I eat out. I have about 20 Meals as well. If I don't eat exactly the same thing, I can log the meal (ie. meatloaf dinner) and then go to my frequent list for any additions (i.e. broccoli instead of brussels sprouts).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    If you find the CORRECT food and want to add it to "MY FOODS," one way to do it is to edit the nutritional value. Make one very minor change that won't really affect anything, like change the calories by one calorie or change one of the micronutrients by an insignificant amount. Then save it, and it will show up in your "My Foods."

That's how I use My Foods. It's for when the nutritional information in the database is no longer correct or never was. This way I have the corrected version available. You could for sure use it for frequently used foods. I find it easier to just set my diary to list foods in order of most recent. You can set most recent, most frequent, or alphabetical. You can also set it by meal or across all meals. I would just use THOSE settings to show my frequently eaten things. Not only would I do it that way, I actually DO it that way.