Weighing and measuring food

Options
Been weighing food for about a cpl weeks now, and for example, I used to measure oatmeal, after it's been cooked, 1cup, which was from 1/2c dry. I read a comment about oatmeal, to weigh it dry, and that's your calories because the water doesn't add anything. So instead of measuring I weighed, and to get 1/2 dry, it's 125ml or 114g I believe, well it was a heaping 1 cup! So is that accurate, am I doing it wrong? Or is some stuff strictly measured?

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Weighing is more accurate than measuring. Is there a weight shown on the label or just the 1/2c measurement? Most things say something like 3tbsp (30g), 25 crackers (30g), etc.

ETA: I'm not sure if that weight you gave was on the label or just what you got when you weighed 1/2 cup of oatmeal...
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check the label. 114g sounds like a lot for a single serving of oatmeal.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I agree that 114 grams sounds like a lot of oatmeal. My container of oatmeal says 40g is a 1/2 cup serving size.

To answer your question though lately if it has an ounce or gram measurement as well as whatever the serving size states then I will go by the ounces or grams.
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! I threw out the bag so I was just going by what a Half a cup is equal to! I didn't make that amount btw!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! I threw out the bag so I was just going by what a Half a cup is equal to! I didn't make that amount btw!

Yeah, you can't assume that 4 oz (half-cup) by volume of all foods will weigh 4 oz (112 g). Plus, for a lot of foods that can be chopped, or crumbled, or broken (e.g., chips), the size of the pieces will make a big difference in how much space (volume) a given amount by weight will take up--usually more of an issue for veggies and nuts, but different brands and kinds of oatmeal will have pieces that are different sizes.