Question about deadlifts

Options
2»

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Starting strength here. 5 reps 1 time. DEADlift = let the bar settle on the floor and lift.If it ain't dead on the floor it's not a dead lift :wink: I usually just take a new breath and lift again. Good luck!

Actually, the term deadlift comes from ancient Rome, when soliders got injured while lifting dead comrads off the battle field. Training programs were put into place to teach the soliders how to properly lift a dead weight from the ground to minimize injury.

There is a reason there are two methods to deadlifts. The touch and go method is better for mass size because it keeps the body under constant tension (touch and go not bounce and go, we're talking bodybuilding not crossfit). The reset or pause method is better for strength gains. I agree that when using the reset or pause it is best to only wait a breath.
    That's interesting! Didn't know that. Maybe I'll try that when I switch to my (first) bulk. Thanks!

But where will you find the dead Romans?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    you can do them however i just suggest not doing touch and go no matter how light the weight.. always reset even if its a short period of 2-4 secods because form is of greatest importance and because its a concentric movement no need to do that nonsense anyways.. best way to avoid deadlifting injuries
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    you can do them however i just suggest not doing touch and go no matter how light the weight.. always reset even if its a short period of 2-4 secods because form is of greatest importance and because its a concentric movement no need to do that nonsense anyways.. best way to avoid deadlifting injuries

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/steve-goggins-deadlift-training-tip/

There is a place in training for touch and go. People who have little experience or poor form should stick to resetting at the bottom. I have no problem doing 5 reps with great form doing touch and go at 60%. Anything above that for reps would have to be below 50% to keep form. You are right that good form is essential, but touch and go is a great addition to training.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Starting strength here. 5 reps 1 time. DEADlift = let the bar settle on the floor and lift.If it ain't dead on the floor it's not a dead lift :wink: I usually just take a new breath and lift again. Good luck!

Actually, the term deadlift comes from ancient Rome, when soliders got injured while lifting dead comrads off the battle field. Training programs were put into place to teach the soliders how to properly lift a dead weight from the ground to minimize injury.

There is a reason there are two methods to deadlifts. The touch and go method is better for mass size because it keeps the body under constant tension (touch and go not bounce and go, we're talking bodybuilding not crossfit). The reset or pause method is better for strength gains. I agree that when using the reset or pause it is best to only wait a breath.
    That's interesting! Didn't know that. Maybe I'll try that when I switch to my (first) bulk. Thanks!

I assumed it was something to do with lifting "dead weight" but didn't actually know the origin - thank you!

I do "touch and go"...training for bodybuilding comps. Currently it's 4 sets, 8-6-4-4 on heavy leg day. Also do rack pulls on heavy back day and stiff leg deads on volume leg day
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I only touch-and-go on warm-up sets. At full weight working sets I reset after each rep. I do 5-rep sets but they're sort of like 5x1, with ~10s reset in between each one to stand up, reset my stance, and go back down to lift. Resetting prevents (some) form failure like rounding out your back on the last few reps of a set when you get tired.

Form failure for deadlifts is critically dangerous. All precautions to prevent it are worth it, IMO.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/powerlifting-articles/steve-goggins-deadlift-training-tip/

There is a place in training for touch and go. People who have little experience or poor form should stick to resetting at the bottom. I have no problem doing 5 reps with great form doing touch and go at 60%. Anything above that for reps would have to be below 50% to keep form. You are right that good form is essential, but touch and go is a great addition to training.

never recommend it.. that guy has elite strength, not to mention hes wearing a powerlifting suit and a belt for support touch and go is a no go... if u want to keep tension on a deadlift do Romanian deadlifts to get a deep stretch in the hammies but conventional set that baby down
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Be sure you pull your *kitten* way down before you start the movement. I see way too many people start deadlifts with their *kitten* up and their elbows bent and then do this horrible jerking motion at the onset. Straighten your arms out and Build up the tension in your glutes and hamstrings before the bar leaves the ground and then engage your quads to rip it off the ground. Low *kitten*=flat back=no herniated discs
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I only touch-and-go on warm-up sets. At full weight working sets I reset after each rep. I do 5-rep sets but they're sort of like 5x1, with ~10s reset in between each one to stand up, reset my stance, and go back down to lift. Resetting prevents (some) form failure like rounding out your back on the last few reps of a set when you get tired.

Form failure for deadlifts is critically dangerous. All precautions to prevent it are worth it, IMO.

I would say if you are standing up- you are no longer doing sets of 5.

That's five sets of one.
  • usmcmp
    Options

never recommend it.. that guy has elite strength, not to mention hes wearing a powerlifting suit and a belt for support touch and go is a no go... if u want to keep tension on a deadlift do Romanian deadlifts to get a deep stretch in the hammies but conventional set that baby down

Powerlifting suits just increase tension at the bottom, so it makes it easier to pull out of the hole (squat and bench suits work the same way). The suits can actually prevent proper form especially at the bottom. Belts don't support the back, they support weak abs. As I stated above if someone has great form there is no reason at <50% they couldn't touch and go. Most people round on Romanians or fail to engage the entire posterior chain. If you are coming down out of a deadlift and you don't end in position to pull again you need to work on form. Too many people look at the deadlift as the positive portion only, instead of the entire chain of events from the set up to the finish.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Belts don't support the back, they support weak abs.

many don't realize this...
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Belts don't support the back, they support weak abs.

many don't realize this...

I know. Huge misconception. Often the back feels better with a belt because the abs are supported and it takes stress off the back since the abs engage better.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There's no "right" way... When I do TnG (touch & go), I tend to keep the weight lower and do more reps (about 135# for 8-10reps) or PRs, where I'll to 3-4 reps MAX at 165#-#173# with about 90sec- 2 min rest in between
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I do them two ways.

Touch and go. With higher reps and lower weight I let the bar touch, but not settle on the ground.

Pause. With heavy weight I let the weight settle, but for no more than 5 seconds if I can help it. On my last sets (like today was 260 pounds for 5 reps) I took a maximum of 20 seconds between each rep and did 5 reps with that weight.

For motor units, central nervous system, adaptation and growth response both methods should be used.

ETA: If you are going a full minute between reps (1 lift then wait a minute) it's basically a whole new set. That means you did 10 sets of a single rep instead of one set of 10 reps.

yup.

I try to rep out my lighter weights- but my heavier weights there is usually a mini pause- which sucks because it's like pulling an all new lift.

It all depends on what you want.

I hate doing 5 reps- it's a lot to me- but I do working sets of 1 all the way up to 15. So it really depends on your goals.
    Well, it's supposed to be an all new lift. Hence "Dead" lift.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My deadlift sets are touch, quick body reset, and go. I do not like hanging out forever with the bar on the floor.

I like to go heavy on deadlifts and never do over 5 reps in a set. Just a personal preference.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your goals. If you are in it for strength then you typically would not do reps above 5. Once you really start putting the weight on, 5 reps will be extremely difficult.. Doing DL pulls @ 100%+ body weight is no joke. I personally let the weight come down to the floor and pause, reset and then lift again. That is the way I feel most comfortable. My form is not as good if I touch and go.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do them two ways.

Touch and go. With higher reps and lower weight I let the bar touch, but not settle on the ground.

Pause. With heavy weight I let the weight settle, but for no more than 5 seconds if I can help it. On my last sets (like today was 260 pounds for 5 reps) I took a maximum of 20 seconds between each rep and did 5 reps with that weight.

For motor units, central nervous system, adaptation and growth response both methods should be used.

ETA: If you are going a full minute between reps (1 lift then wait a minute) it's basically a whole new set. That means you did 10 sets of a single rep instead of one set of 10 reps.

yup.

I try to rep out my lighter weights- but my heavier weights there is usually a mini pause- which sucks because it's like pulling an all new lift.

It all depends on what you want.

I hate doing 5 reps- it's a lot to me- but I do working sets of 1 all the way up to 15. So it really depends on your goals.
    Well, it's supposed to be an all new lift. Hence "Dead" lift.

But there is a reason the FIRST lift always feels heavier than lift 2 or 3- even without a touch and go. You are pre-tension-ed and all ready to go- there is a slight difference between the very first lift tension and an slightly pre-tensioned 2nd lift.