Cardio on rest-days?

Options
I just started lifting on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and my ultimate goal is muscle gain. I do about 15 minutes of warm-up on the treadmill before I start lifting, and wind down for about 10 minutes on the treadmill after lifting. My question is, on my rest days should I be doing cardio? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Most people I know who are trying to bulk muscle don't do too much cardio...they just end up having to eat that much more for their muscle bulk and that can be annoying.

For general fitness I would recommend doing both weight training and some cardio. I lift 3x weekly and I ride my bike for 45 - 60 minutes on non-lifting days and get in 6 workout days per week that way. I take one rest day per week.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you want to do some cardio that also builds muscles very well. You might want to try hill sprints. They are absolutely awesome at burning calories as well as building up your quads. Many of the serious lifters do them to add to their legs.

I would do them either on leg day after your squats, deads, etc or after, not the day before.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Sure, just keep carefully track of your macros and you can enjoy both to an extent.

If you just started out lifting though, I'd let your body get more acclimated to that routine first before throwing in more. Nothing like doing too much in te whining to ensure you soon won't be doing anything.