Are my calorie goals too low?

Options
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new here, but I did livestrong for a few years. I managed to lose 50 lbs with their help, but I've gained about 25 back and I'm looking to lose that now. With all of my calculations, MFP said I should be eating 1200 cals/day to lose 2 lbs a week. This seems low to me, as I remember from my livestrong days that my calorie goals were around 1500 give or take. It has been over a week, and I have lost 2 lbs but it's water weight that fluctuates day to day. I have hypothyroid which makes it a little more difficult to lose weight, but I take my meds every day. I exercise 3 times a week. Any recommendations?

Jenna

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is don't set it to 2 lbs/week if you don't want to be limited to 1200 calories. The reason it's giving you a low number is because you're telling MFP you want to lose weight really quickly. If you only have 25 pounds to lose, why not set it at 1 lb/week (probably around 1500 calories) and see how that works.
  • Jennabug816
    Jennabug816 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I've been seeing this same response from others so I'm definitely going to do just that! Appreciate it!