What happened to my calories?

Options
Okay I hope I can explain this. I logged in this morning to log my food and exercise. A little thing popped up saying because I had lost 10 pounds I should look at changing my goals a little. I looked at them but didn't change anything. Then I went back in and my calories that I am supposed to have everyday went down by 60. I was at 1730 calories, now it is saying I should have 1670. So I deleted my new weigh in thinking it had thrown off the calories but it stayed the same. And not only that it is showing on all my past days this new amount, so it looks like I went over on everything. Is this because I lost weight. So the more I loose weight my calories keep going down? Help!!!

Replies

• suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes - generally - the more weight you lose, the less calories you will burn on an everyday living basis, less to consume to live.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yep, the less you weigh the less cals it takes to maintain that weight. The more you eat the more you weigh. Thus the need to diet...
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am having a difficult time staying full with what I am eating. Usually two hours later I am hungry again. If my calories go down I don't know what I will do. I feel discouraged because obviously I am not eating the right things. So much for my good mood after working out today.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I am having a difficult time staying full with what I am eating. Usually two hours later I am hungry again. If my calories go down I don't know what I will do. I feel discouraged because obviously I am not eating the right things. So much for my good mood after working out today.

Don't feel discouraged! Eat plenty of protein , healthy fats (fish, nuts/seeds, etc) and lots of fiber (whole grains, fruits/veggies, beans, etc.) - these type of foods will fill you up. Avoid processed foods as much as you can - usually these aren't good at keeping you full.

Make sure you log your exercise, because that gives you more calories to eat. I'm at a base of 1200 calories per day, which I could never stick to...but I exercise every day and end up eating anywhere from 1300-1800/day depending on how much and what kind of exercise I've done. (I eat 50-75% of my exercise calories.)
  • maydianna
    maydianna Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One of the things that has helped me is making sure I eat smaller meals and snacks every 2-3 hours. So yes, I do get hungry after a few hours, but its ok because its time to eat again anyway :) Eating that way also helps your metabolism stay up and consistent throughout the day. Hope that helps!
  • Mepheston
    Mepheston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would try eating smaller meals every 2-3 hours, I just found out today how to change my food diary to reflect each meal, so I can more accurately track what I'm eating and when. This helps keep me from feeling super hungry, though when your body gets used to this you will feel hungry as you approach your specified meal time. My diary is open if you want to see how I laid it out.
  • browneyesbb89
    Options
    accountant_boi, 1200 Calories, that doesn't even seem like enough to sustain even a skinny person. That is not a lot at all. I will pick my jaw up now! I know it forces me to make even better decisions now. Its hard though. My husband works out of town so when he comes home its even harder because he is sort of trying to eat better, but he takes me to lunch on his days home so we have even more time together, i try to make homemade lunches and then one stinkin time of going out and its back to the same old routine. Luckily most of the time it is subway. But even I am getting tired of it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    accountant_boi, 1200 Calories, that doesn't even seem like enough to sustain even a skinny person. That is not a lot at all. I will pick my jaw up now! I know it forces me to make even better decisions now. Its hard though. My husband works out of town so when he comes home its even harder because he is sort of trying to eat better, but he takes me to lunch on his days home so we have even more time together, i try to make homemade lunches and then one stinkin time of going out and its back to the same old routine. Luckily most of the time it is subway. But even I am getting tired of it.

Would your husband be interested in learning to fix meals with you? I personally love to cook, and I've been trying to learn all kinds of new, healthy recipes. Home-made food is so much better than eating out, and it's easier to know exactly what you're eating. It can be fun to try out new recipes as a couple - it's a different way to spend time together, rather than sitting at a table in a restaurant waiting for your food to be made. Just an idea!

About the 1200 - I'm a really short guy - most guys need more than this. I burn between 2100-2300 a day before exercise, on average, so to lose 2 lbs/week, that means I have to stick to 1200 cals/day, plus my exercise calories. It's working so far, and when I make sure and eat plenty of heathy, non-processed foods it fills me up plenty! When I reach my goal weight, my maintenance calories will probably only be around 1500/day plus exercise calories.
  • browneyesbb89
    Options
    We cook together most of the time when he is in town anyway. I am more like the assistant because he loves to cook and I not as much. Actually I don't really like to cook unless its quick and easy. I would rather be crafting. I am just trying to get him on board with eating more healthy. He is on blood pressure medication and he is only 28 so I think eating better would definately benefit him. Another problem for him is he stays in a camp trailer during the week so he doesn't have a large fridge which makes it hard to keep fresh foods.