Criticize my day-to-day workout

Options
I'm looking for a light workout that I can do on an (almost) daily basis without soreness. My current one is:

1 x 20-30 pushups (my max is ~35)
1 x 10-12 pullups (my max is ~14)
1 x 10 hanging leg raises (my max is ~15)

No rest between the exercises, except maybe to check on dinner.

I can do this five-six times a week without ever feeling sore. If I get a more strenuous workout one day and rest for two days, I can do this the remaining four days of the week without feeling sore.

I tried to hit all major muscle groups at least a bit, but it's very DIY and I'm no expert. Any suggestions or comments?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Why?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you've reached the point where you can do that six times a week without soreness, time to add to it. Add sets, exercises, muscle groups, etc to continue the progression. Body weight squats can hit your lower body. Planks. Crunches, Get a set of bands and add curls, tri extensions, etc.

If all you have is your body and you workout at home, google bodyweight workouts for more ideas how to progressively overload your muscles and build from your current base.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Because I know myself. If I pushed myself hard every time I worked out, I would do it once a week. Maybe once a week... Having a "go-to" routine that is quick and light enough that I can make myself do it even when I'm feeling lazy or tired is great.
    Body weight squats can hit your lower body. Planks. Crunches, Get a set of bands and add curls, tri extensions, etc.
    I switched from crunches to leg lifts because of back pain, but squats are a good idea. My current routine is a bit too easy on the lower body. Thanks.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If its "easy" workout to do when feeling lazy you're not really going to get much benefit from it. But....it is better than sitting still.

Switch it up a bit and alternate days using your current routine then try to add exercises like:

Mountain Climbers
    Planks / Plank Jacks
    Burpees
    Jumping Jacks
    Squats
    Skater lunges
    Walking lunges
    Donkey Kicks
    Tricep Dips
    Incline push ups
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you're just looking to stay active, then just add in a couple of leg exercises to balance out.
    If you're looking to improve physique and fitness, you'll eventually need to adjust resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition