If a calorie is a calorie...

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    based on my understanding MFP sets the macros at the lowest recommended daily intake.

Unless you have manually entered your macros based on calculations that is what they are.

If you have 500 calories left over eat them....low fat/low carb etc doesn't matter.

Most people I know who do manually set their macros make Fat/Protien and Carb the main focal point not worrying about sugar...as well when those marcros are set it is for the protien and Fat which are the important ones and they are the "min" amount for the day.

Eat the popcorn with butter and don't worry about it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can just eat the popcorn and butter.

If you want to optimise certain goals then macros come more into play.

It is important however that you get sufficient protein (although you don't need to go crazy on even that) and a number of essential fatty acids from diet but once those have been covered off you will be good.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i don't believe all calories are equal
    or that calorie in is calorie out
    I'm currently eating over my TDEE and doing like no exercise and losing a good pound a week
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating over my TDEE and doing like no exercise and losing a good pound a week

Is it possible that what you think is your TDEE, isn't?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Your calculations are off. You should use your OWN data to calculate your TDEE, now that you have some. Calculating it using an online equation that uses averages across a large population are only meant to give you a ballpark estimate to start with. Then you adjust according to your results. Which it sounds like you have already done. But it is still calories in, calories out. And a calorie is a unit of measure, so yes, 1 calorie is equal to 1 calorie.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Instead of counting calories I count carbs, mainly because when I was calorie counting I became obsessed, I liked seeing tiny numbers and would eat as little as possible. With carbs, if you go to 0 carbs you're still eating. So for me its manageable.

Macros are there because your body needs energy, and needs certain types of energy, I have 5% carbs, 65% fat and the rest protein, not everyone likes those macros but it works well for me, I feel full with lots of energy, and I don't get cravings for carby food anymore
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When sodium is too high, you can substitute butter with canola oil. Tastes pretty good!

I make air popped popcorn (bag of Jolly Time kernels) and drizzle a tablespoon or two of canola oil on it. It will add to fats, but it won't add to sodium.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating over my ESTIMATED TDEE and doing like no exercise and losing a good pound a week
    Fixed it for you.
    You could be an outlier making the TDEE estimate wrong for you or your food logging could be inaccurate.
    Well done on finding your sweet spot though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

umm that is pretty much physically impossible unless you somehow defy the laws of math …

more than likely you are underestimating your calories and actually eating less…

you can't eat more than you burn and lose weight….thats like saying when you drive your car the gas tank fills up, instead of empties….
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Must be the unicorn meat you're eating then. It's given you magical powers to defy the laws of physics. You share this with all the people who are in the same boat and gaining weight from doing it. That would be 70% of the US population.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    nvm...
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

The same thing happened to me when I was maintaining. All it ment was that the estimated TDEE I was given was not accurate for me. I increased my calories and found my true TDEE and went from there.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yah sure okay.

I looked at your diary you don't have any idea of how many calories you are eating.

1800 is what you have set as your goal.

On Sunday Jan 5th you logged 784 calories
    No log on MOnday
    Tuesday you logged 810g of pears??? really almost a kg of pears???1598 total calories logged

On Friday of last week you ate 1184g of oranges...wow...then a banana of 6/7" long. That day you logged 1125
    On Saturday you logged 675 clories which included 16 pieces of sushi no weigh included.
    On Monday you logged 605 calories which was 4 med bananas, 2 dates and 100g of frozen cherries
    On Tuesday you logged 1586 calories...

Now you gonna say you are logging accurately? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: and are eating your TDEE...sure you are.

you are not eating your TDEE and losing a lb a week you appear to be eating TDEE-25%.

and btw eating 1184 g of oranges...over 1kg of oranges...interesting...*coughs and laughs*