Alone and confused

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new. I want to lose about 180 pounds. I've been working at it for about 6 months now and have managed to lose about 35 pounds but I have been totally stuck for about 4 weeks. I've been getting all kinds of conflicting information and advice from various sorces and I am totally confused on what I should be doing. I really need some help and support.

Thanks, Kethri

Replies

• mealiac
    Options
    Hi Kethri,

I would be happy to add you as a friend and you can see what I eat and how often I exercise. Maybe that would help?

What kinds of things are you struggling with mainly?

For me its bread. I cannot cannot cannot stop myself craving it. I know why I crave it, and I know it is dead food that gives me no nutrition. But yet I crave it.

AMelia
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm going to send you a friend request. I have found my friends to be helpful, so hopefully, I can help you, as well.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Kethri,

I would be happy to add you as a friend and you can see what I eat and how often I exercise. Maybe that would help?

What kinds of things are you struggling with mainly?

For me its bread. I cannot cannot cannot stop myself craving it. I know why I crave it, and I know it is dead food that gives me no nutrition. But yet I crave it.

AMelia

I know you mean well, but this is wrong. OP, there are no bad foods, just different foods. Weight loss is simple but is not easy. You only need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. Here is a very good place to start:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There is so much information out there, and so much of it is hogwash or just really confusing. Do not make it more complicated than it has to be. Keep close track of calories in to maintain your deficit, move more to up your calorie burn and help increase your metabolism. Do not make it more complicated than it needs to be. Once you get closer to your goal, and you feel you have mastered these first two principles, then you (and I) can get into the more complicated minutia of it all. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I'm more than happy to be there for you, so long as you are looking for someone who keeps it simple and tries to keep it real.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    There is a ton of opinions out there. The only truth is the most simple one....burn more calories per day than you consume and you will slowly lose weight.

And if it was really just that simple, most of us would not be here. Your body (everyone's body) is reactive to changes. You change your diet, restricting calories, and start losing weight but your body reacts and your weight loss slows. The weight you lost was part muscle mass and part body fat. Now that you have a little less muscle and fat, you body burns fewer calories at rest maintaining your muscle, organ and fat body mass. Whatever exercise you do on a regular basis your body will naturally figure out how to do more efficiently over time....especially cardio exercises. This is normal, and it's also why weight loss plateaus happen.

To break through a plateau you have to be patient, but you also need to be willing to change up what you are doing. If you've been at this for 6 months and eating the same number of calories and exercising the same way, it's time for a change. Don't be afraid to eat slightly more (100 to 200 calories) to ease the stress on your body for a few months. Change the exercises you do to something your body is not used to doing, or do the same exercises but up the intensity. Whatever you do, keep with the changes for a couple weeks so you have a chance to see if it's working for you.

And lastly, but most important....you've lost 36 lbs in 6 months! That is awesome! Keep working on it, keep pushing, keep trying. It's worth every drop of sweat, every OCD moment tracking every calorie you eat....it's worth it. Break your big goal into smaller, mini goals. Every 10 lbs, every pants size....something. When you get that mini goal, celebrate!