Portion Size chart

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
You know, it's always nice to get a reminder of this, since most of the time when it comes to measuring food (which I rarely do...working on it!), I tend to eyeball it more than anything!

enhanced-buzz-26644-1389298362-7.jpg

The picture is from this Buzzfeed article:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/22-simple-ways-to-start-eating-healthier-this-year

I mean, I don't agree with all of it, but just some helpful tips I wanted to share with everyone!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Still, I always wonder whose hand they're talking about. I've seen a lot of adult hands (say, 90%+ of men and 60% to 70% of women) that are bigger than mine, and I've seen a few adult women who make me look like I'm wearing Mickey Mouse gloves.

I find comparison like "a 4 oz serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards" to be more helpful.

Also, I find that measuring everything when I'm at home helps me fix in my mind what various amounts of food look like, so my eyeballing improves.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Ok for restaurant perhaps, but at home, I don't think there's anything better than weighing on the kitchen scale.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    hehe...im broke. my hand is my measuring tool.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Same question from my side. Whats the average hand size? My hand is smaller than most people as I am overall tiny.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like to think of one cup as about the size of a one cup measuring cup. If I want half a cup, I'm just like, oh about the size of a 1/2 cup measuring cup.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love to use my food scale when I'm home. If I'm eating out, I guess the portion size the best I can.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Ok for restaurant perhaps, but at home, I don't think there's anything better than weighing on the kitchen scale.

True that. But if I'm eating out I either don't bother tracking (because one day over won't kill me) or I just use the website's nutrition info if I'm at a restaurant.
  • Cinarocket
    Cinarocket Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    suits me if we talking about his hands 102013_GiannisHandsLetters.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    Cinarocket wrote: »
    suits me if we talking about his hands 102013_GiannisHandsLetters.jpg

Those hands could be useful for much more important things.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    enhanced-5220-1395252730-14.jpg

Can we use Andre The Giant's hands?
  • ana3067
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    enhanced-5220-1395252730-14.jpg

Can we use Andre The Giant's hands?

If this is not a mini can then these hands are too big to be used for other important purposes. ouch.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chart! This might help me in estimating portion sizes at restaurants and how much insulin to take based on those portion sizes.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I would only go by that if I had no other option (Like in a restaurant or something) and certainly it's very useful for that!

I don't think any one tool is ever ideal for everything, right? I mean, who's going to haul a scale to go visiting or out to eat?

Scale at home, hand when out. I think it's a good compromise.