Lifestyle change

Options
Hi!

So today was a rough day. I exercised a lot last week. It wasn't a perfect eating week (playoffs and all), but I was faithful to track. Based on my calorie intake and exercise, i thought I would lose about 2 lbs. I maintained and I was disappointed--because I have a lot to lose. I responded by turning to food and having a pity party for myself. Well, after tracking and realizing this isn't how I want to live my life anymore, I decided to turn to the message boards.

Firstly, I need more community. So please send me a friend request if you'd like support or like to be support. I have about 120lbs to lose, so I could use some friends!

Second, what tips, tricks, or habits have helped you to make this a lifestyle change? Or, put another way, what has been key to make this a lifestyle change?

Thanks!

Replies

• prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Congrats on making this decision..it is the most difficult part..there will always be slip ups..but getting back is very important..Every body faces difficulties and one has to make it a habit to exercise and eat well...rather than focussing on weight loss, focus should be on health, the benifits of the effort we put in.With this it becomes easy I guess...I am also struggling and always looking for support and motivation..Sending you a friend request...I sometimes blog to vent out my emotion or anger...It helps...Lets do this together..
  • knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start small, but still effectively.

I started out cutting a good amount of calories, without having to limit what i was eating but instead how much of it. so i didn't rob myself of some of my faves like burgers or pizza, but maybe i had a turkey burger instead or just a slice or 2 instead of 4 or 5 (i could eat a whole pie.)

when you decide to crash course your body into starvation or eating foods it doesn't usually eat, however good those foods may be, it'll be difficult to sustain in the long run. not impossible, just difficult.

so what I'm saying is that it's a process.

also what i did is 21 days to make a habit. Hold your new found habits for 21 days. when you see results, you won't wanna turn back.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale is just a b*tch. You didn't gain - so that's a good thing, even with the playoff eats. Also what did you eat then? Salty treats? You could still be retaining water.

Just keep going. Keep logging. Realize not every week will have a loss - even when clearly there should be, but over time the losses will add up. You've got this! :flowerforyou:
  • monikadanielak
    monikadanielak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just changing how much you eat in one sitting can make a big difference when you have a lot to lose. These are calories that you can cut without even noticing that you are doing so, a smaller bag of chips, one sandwich less, one spoonful of peanut butter less, leaving the mayo off a salad. These little things go a long way to cutting calories.

And good luck.

We all have set backs, try to forget it and move on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2 things...

1 - patience... even with a lot of weight to lose there will be weeks that you will work really hard and not lose weight, its just one of those things (usually caused by water retention, from TOM, too much sodium, muscle repair)

2 - consistancy... even when you have a bad day, log it... when you know you have eaten 2 billion calories over your goal, log it... dont let one bad meal or one bad day ruin the rest of the week.. one bad day didnt make you fat just like one good day wont make you thin!
  • newcindylou
    newcindylou Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The main thing that helps me is being prepared! If I prepare and have good healthy choices to eat (grocery shopping) I make good choices. If I don't, and I am hungry - I cave. Also, being consistent with MFP. You guys keep me going! One day at a time.....as cliche as it sounds, baby steps equal success and success equals positive enforcement and ultimately more success. Do it for YOU.
  • llmoye728
    llmoye728 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I really appreciate your support and wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sending friend requests as well! Yay! Starting to build community :)

I will apply these this week and hopefully the scale will move, however I will try and make my focus more about eating good healthy food and exercising and less about the number on the scale.