Cardio before or after Weight lifting?

Options

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

But the facts are that a lot of the accepted "mantras" about weight lifting just aren't true. Most people have plenty of glycogen--enough for 2+ hours of continuous exercise--and they are not going to burn it up in a typical lifting session.

And, if they did, they wouldn't be able to just walk over and "do some cardio". Ever see marathoners staggering around after they hit the wall? That's what "using all your glycogen" looks like--not some happy little muscle guy trotting along "burning fat".
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no scientific nor experiential evidence to support the idea that, for everyone, "weights must ALWAYS be done before cardio". If you know basic exercise physiology, the idea is simply ludicrous.

They did do a scientific study for this exact thing titled "Hormonal Responses to Concurrent Strength and Endurance Training with Different Exercise Orders"

They found that with aerobic activities first then testosterone levels peaked higher for longer but they also found that it releases a enzymes that can actually block weight training’s muscle-building effects,
  • lauraberry83
    lauraberry83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi,

I do fasted cardio in the mornings, either a 15-20 min HIIT on the x-trainer or bike or alternatively a metafit class. I then go back in the evening to do my weights/strength training so that I've had rest throughout the day and am able to give the weights my full effort. Maybe not the ideal in terms of time management but my gym is so closeby its not too much of a problem.

When I did do both together, I was always told weights first then cardio, as if you do the cardio first you run the risk of burning yourself out and then lifting weights and dropping them on yourself!!

L
  • lamb_fitness
    lamb_fitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Doing 16 mins of cardio after strength training gives you the best fat burning.
    Don't do Hiit after weights as your body will use your muscles as fuel and not fat.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    They did do a scientific study for this exact thing titled "Hormonal Responses to Concurrent Strength and Endurance Training with Different Exercise Orders"

They found that with aerobic activities first then testosterone levels peaked higher for longer but they also found that it releases a enzymes that can actually block weight training’s muscle-building effects,

Enzymes and hormones are always in a state of flux, and transient spikes don't always lead to noticeable, long-term differences in results.

I do think it's a good rule of thumb for most people to not do lots of cardio before strength training, but there are times when breaking the rules are appropriate.
    Doing 16 mins of cardio after strength training gives you the best fat burning.

I'm pretty sure it's 14.5 minutes. Anything more and your muscles will slough off your body the next day. I read it in the Journal of Broscience.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For safety's sake alone, cardio after weights. Attempting to start a high intensity weightlifting workout when already fatigued is a recipe for injury.
  • tsubaki4
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you workout on an empty stomach or not, depends on the person. There are no negative effects either way. I always do weights first then cardio, just my preference. Half the week I do slow cardio, the other half I do sprints.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    You only need to weight train three times a week for maximal benefit anyway.

Muscles can only grow so fast.

Six reps of working a muscle group, repeated twice more at a session, with two more sessions spaced out during the next six days.

You assume everyone lifts weights for muscle growth.
  • jennifierrice
    Options
    You should ALWAY do weights before cardio. ALWAYS.

When you do cardio first all you are doing is burning up all the glycogen in your muscles and then when you go to lift weights all the glycogen is gone and you are out of gas, so to speak.

On the flipside, if you do weights first you can burn up the glycogen and give your weight training all that you've got and then when you do cardio you have a better chance of actually burning fat.

I do weights 5 times/week and cardio only 3 of those days, after I'm done with weights.

If you don't lift weights as frequently as I do, try doing the cardio on it's own day like other people have suggested. Just never do cardio before weights -- totally counterproductive.

There is a good write-up on this on Bodybuilding forums as well....and I agree 110% with this guy!! Weight training allows you to burn glycogen/(carbs-veggies/grains/etc) that is the 2nd hottest burning fuel your body uses to burn fat....If you burn all this off first (by strength training) when you do cardio your body switches over to burning protein which is the #1 HOTTEST burning fuel your body uses....hotter fuel more fat burning......when you're then done with cardio make sure you replenish with a well balanced snack.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Six reps of working a muscle group, repeated twice more at a session, with two more sessions spaced out during the next six days.

You assume everyone lifts weights for muscle growth.

Why else would they do it?

Muscle growth means muscle strength.

Work weights against resistance and your muscles will grow.

My post was for those who might think lifting weights five days a week is better than lifting three days a week.

Well I lift 5-7 days a week with the specific goal of increasing strength without increasing size. For those of us looking to compete in strength sports but uninterested in going to a higher weight class, the CNS adaptations created by frequent loading at high intensity have excellent potential to do just that.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    There is a good write-up on this on Bodybuilding forums as well....and I agree 110% with this guy!! Weight training allows you to burn glycogen/(carbs-veggies/grains/etc) that is the 2nd hottest burning fuel your body uses to burn fat....If you burn all this off first (by strength training) when you do cardio your body switches over to burning protein which is the #1 HOTTEST burning fuel your body uses....hotter fuel more fat burning......when you're then done with cardio make sure you replenish with a well balanced snack.

I'm guessing you mean fat? Regardless, the temperature of the fuel thing is nonsense. It's about hormonal preference and ease of accessing the fuel source by the human metabolism.
  • jhansla85
    jhansla85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What about doing cardio in the morning and then weights in the evening?

I've started to do short 30 minute runs in the morning of the days that I do weights, and my days off weights I'll do a longer run for about 60 mins or so.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Sure, if you're doing compound lifts. Not everyone is though and people's goal are different. I lift every day because I do mainly isolation exercises and work one muscle group a day. Three times a week wouldn't work for me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Work weights against resistance and your muscles will grow.

Assuming adequate volume on a non-retarded routine, a caloric surplus and a hormonal balance that lends itself to a favourable p-ratio...
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    After, I can do that am empty stomach stuff. Mornings and I dont get along. But try a couple ways and see what works best for you. I have time to spend an hour and a half at the gym not everyone does.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    You shouldn't really be exercising on an empty stomach - especially first thing in the morning - breakfast is key to kickstarting your metabolism and helping you burn calories faster. I'd try to break it up; do half a cardio workout first to warm up, then weights, then the second half of your cardio workout as a cool down.

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. Skipping breakfast does not slow your metabolism. It's a myth. There are many people that do very well on intermittent Fasting (proven). It's personal preference if you eat breakfast or not.

This ^^ you beat me to it LOL I run 5 miles every day on an empty stomach and it doesnt bother me. it's def a personal preference. just like it doesnt matter what time of day you work out
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I warm-up with cardio before weight lifting
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm also one that needs to work out on an empty stomach. When i don't I always end up feeling sick for most of the workout and I spend more energy working about feeling nauseous than I do about my work out.

I warm up with a little cardio, then do weights, and then sometimes I do cardio. But I usually don't do them on the same day.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If I exercise before work, I don't eat. If I exercise after work, I don't eat after 12ish. Otherwise I need to stop and poop during the work out. It's personal preference though, isn't it?

I have only just started with weights, but I don't do both on the same day, otherwise I'm too tired to put my all into one of them.

I run a mile on the treadmill (flat, not hill programme as usual), stretch, do weights and then stretch again. I don't bother with weights at all on the other days, I'm too tired.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    When I do cardio, I tend to 'try' to do long ones (40 min +) first thing in the morning on an empty stomach... but
    I can't weight train properly afterwards, even if I take a preworkout supplement that gives me energy.

If I weight train first, I need to eat breakfast --> weight train ---> then do cardio... but cardio at the end becomes 10x harder.

What do you do? Cardio first or weight train first?

* I tried doing HIIT a few times in the morning on an empty stomach but... not sure if you can effectively do HIIT at 100% on an empty stomache. Eating a healthy breakfast makes my HIIT 2x as intense.
    Congratulations, please go on doing harm to your body.