Soup recipes please :)

Options
Hi does anyone have some quick healthy soup recipes? Ones for the slow cooker would be great :)

Thank you for any posts x

Replies

• kareenad87
    kareenad87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I normally do is just buy some veg and cook it in a pot with some veg or chicken stock and add a little salt and pepper. Then pop it in the food processor. Quick and easy!
  • Livestrongalways
    Options
    That does sound very easy lol, I've never made soup before always went to my grans ect and got it there, I'm trying a spicy parsnip soup in the slow cooker just now so hopefully that turns out good, will try urs tomorrow thank u x
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    6 oz. turkey sausage
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 small red onion (chopped)
    3 stalks celery (chopped)
    2 carrots (chopped)
    fennel to taste
    1 tsp fresh thyme
    salt and pepper to taste
    7 c. low-sodium chicken broth
    6 c. chopped swiss chard
    1 package (6 -10 oz) mini tortellini

sautee red onion, celery and garlic in 1 tbsp. olive oil until soft and translucent. Add sausage and seasonings to pot, sautee with vegetables. Add 1 c. broth, simmer to get crusty bits off bottom of pot. Add the rest of the broth, and the carrots and swiss chard. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until carrots begin to soften. Add tortellini, simmer 5-1 minutes. Top with shredded parmesan to taste.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I just happen to have this one open on my desktop. I made it a couple of days ago, though this time I tripled the recipe and I used ground turkey and a sweet Italian sausage, plus added some pasta, various canned vegies, red pepper flakes and a couple of splashes of rice vinegar to balance out the sweetness of the sausage. Hubby has been raving about it! For whatever reason, he can't stop eating it. I am glad I made a lot.

1 pound ground beef

10.5 oz. can condensed beef broth
    12 oz. can chopped tomato

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

2 cups sliced carrots

1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley

1/4 cup celery

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves

1 bay leaf

1/4 tsp. basil

Brown ground beef, drain and set aside. Add the ground beef plus all of the ingredients into a 6 quart crock pot.
    Add 6-8 cups water or to taste. Let cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Per 2 cup serving:

102 cals

7 carbs

691 sodium

8 protein

3 calcium

184 Potassium
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Just made soup this past weekend. Quick & easy!

2 leeks (White thru light green section) - Roughly diced
    1 med sweet potato - peeled & roughly diced
    2 granny smith apples - peeled, seeded & roughly diced
    2 tbsp of curry (hot or mild, your choice)
    2 tbsp olive oil
    6 cups veg stock (or combination of stock & water)

Heat olive oil in large stock pot. (med)
    Add in curry and stir for a minute or so. (The smell during this is awesome!!!)
    Add in leeks, sweet potato & apples. Cook for 5 minutes or so. Until the leek becomes translucent and the sweet potato starts to get soft. Stir often.
    Add in stock and/or water.
    Bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat, put lid on pot and simmer for 20 min +/-
    Before serving, with a hand blender or in batches in a counter top blender, roughly puree. There should be no chunks but it should not be too smooth.
    Serve
    If you used hot curry powder? Put a little yogurt on top when you serve.

I'm a crock pot fan as well. I bet that you could throw all into a crock pot in the morning and come home to just blend and serve!

Hope you enjoy as much as my family did!
  • obliques
    obliques Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The quickest nutrious soup for me is to use any chicken light soup, add one can of white meat chicken rinsed off. add one bag of steam fresh mixed vegetables. Very hearty with the extra protein and vegetables. Enjoy!
  • lifeviabrittney
    lifeviabrittney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite! http://theprettyplus.com/2013/01/31/chicken-tortilla-soup/

You can add black beans or some spicy peppers too!

I have a lot of recipes on my website. www.theprettyplus.com/recipes
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I just had this soup, was yummy prob quite easy to make, I think you put the cream in last so as not to curdle it

Water, peas (12%), potato, spinach (11%), onion, soured cream, fresh cream, butter, vegetable stock*, coriander (0.4%), mint, parsley, pepper. * contains: sea salt, potato starch, yeast extract, vegetables (7.3%) (celery, onion, parsley), maltodextrin (from potato), sugar, sunflower oil, spices (celery seed, turmeric, pepper, garlic, mace, lovage, nutmeg).
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash Soup is usually nice.

Carrot and Coriander - very easy to do
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rworton
    rworton Posts: 28
    Options
    Frozen Veggies (i.e. Stew or soup Starter), 2 cans of no salt added diced tomatoes, reduced sodium beef broth and either lean Hamburger (94/6) or Turkey (94/6) (these are optional). Brown meat in skillet & set aside. Mix veggies, broth and tomatoes in a slow cooker & add browned meat and cook till ready.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I make this one all the time and it's AMAZING. And you can add whatever 'accoutrements' you like :)
    http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/mushroom-hot-pot/
  • CEThornton
    Options
    Two of my favorite!! not the fastest but so delicious!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/three-cheese-mushroom-and-tortellini.html#more

3 cheese tortellini and mushroom soup

Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 138 • Fat: 4 g • Carbs: 19.5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Protein: 7 g • Sugar: 2.5 g
    Sodium: 605 mg (without added salt)

Ingredients:

2 tsp butter
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 carrot, peeled & chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    8 cups fat free chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarians)
    2 cups water
    5 oz ****aki mushrooms, sliced
    8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
    1 small Parmigiano Reggiano rind (optional)
    9 oz three cheese tortellini (Buitoni)
    salt to taste
    1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
    Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (optional for topping)

Directions:
    In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. When melted, add the celery, onion, carrot and garlic. Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
    Add the chicken broth, water, mushrooms, rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. When broth boils, add salt (to taste) and black pepper; stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, simmer until mushrooms are soft, about 20 minutes. Add tortellini and cook according to package directions for al dente.
    Once cooked, remove the rind, stir to combine and garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano if desired.
    Makes 12 cups.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage-soup.html#more

Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup (delicious!!)

Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 1 3/4 cup • Old Points: 6 pt • Points+: 7 pt
    Calories: 281 • Fat: 12.2 g • Protein: 13.7 g • Carb: 31.6 g • Fiber: 6.6 g • Sugar: 3.6 g
    Sodium: 782 mg

Ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil
    2 leeks, chopped (whites and light green only)
    2 cloves garlic
    3 medium carrots, chopped
    1 yellow pepper, chopped
    1 lb lean corned beef brisket (yields 9 oz cooked)
    6 cups of water
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
    1 small head cabbage, cored and chopped
    1 large potato, peeled and cubed
    fresh pepper to taste

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium low heat. Add leeks and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes; add garlic, carrots and yellow pepper and sauté about 2-3 minutes.
    Add corned beef, peppercorns or seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, bay leaves, parsley and water; cover and bring to a boil. Simmer covered on low heat for 3 hours, until the meat becomes tender.
    Remove the corned beef, set it on a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return it to the pot then add the cabbage and potatoes, taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed. Cook until the potatoes and cabbage are tender, about 45 more minutes.

Makes 9 cups.
  • catherinesmith9277
    Options
    Fennel and Ginger soup

I head of fennel finely chopped
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    5-8 cm fresh ginger chopped into small pieces or grated
    1 large onion
    I clove garlic
    1/2 liter chicken stock

Fry the onion, and the garlic over a low heat in a tsp of oil, until soft.
    Add the chopped fennel, lemon rind and ginger.
    Add 1/2 litre chicken stock.
    Simmer until everything is very soft.
    Blitz or liquidise and add extra water as needed.

This soup freezes well.

I usually make three or four times this recipe and it makes about 12 servings.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    -Beef Broth, 8 cup
    Beans - Green Lima (Frozen), 2 1/4 cup (100 g)
    Frozen - Green Beans , 2 1/4 cup
    Frozen Mixed Veggies, 270 g (2/3 cup)
    Generic - Diced White Onion, 1/3 cup
    Celery - 2 Stalks, 2 ounces
    Fresh Cut Sliced Carrots, 1 1/2 cup
    Shredded Cabbage, 3 cups
    2peeled,diced turnips
    1large can small dice tomatoes & juice
    1Tbl vinegar

1Tbl sugar,black pepper,1Tbl Thyme,2 bay leaves
    Taste for seasoning. Can make on stove top or slo cooker.
    I tend to use the whole bags of frozen veggies.

Sometimes in eve,I use 1/4th of a small roast,brown on all sides. Put in slo cooker with bay leaves,on low all nt. Use broth for soup.When meat is cool,dice or shred,add to soup.Makes a lot to portion & freeze flat in zip lock bags.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    We had this for lunch

http://spendwithpennies.ziplist.com/recipes/413105-Spiced_Butternut_Squash_and_Apple_Soup?return_to=/recipes/box

Comes in at just under 200 calories a bowl I think (depending on bowl size!!!)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I need these. Yummy!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    lentil and hot chicken sausage

1 pkg of hot chicken sausage
    1 bag of dried lentils
    4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
    4 cups of water
    3 celery stalks chopped
    1/2 yellow onion chopped
    3 carrots chopped
    chili powder*
    cayenne pepper*
    oregano-season to taste
    parsley - season to taste

I pre cook the sausage and then chop it up before adding it. I place everything in the crock pot mix it up and set it for 6 - 8 hours and its ready when I get home. Depending on what you buy or add to it it can be 230-280 calories per cup. It makes a lot of soup so I sometimes freeze it. I just made it last night and my son ( he is 10) and my hubby both loved it. I even let the baby try some since I didn't use hot sausage this time. If you use hot sausage omit *. If you use mild add * for a little kick or leave it out all together but if you do that you will need to add some sort of pepper because it will be bland.
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like some kick in my soups, so I've made this recipe at least a dozen times (Makes a LOT, but it freezes beautifully):
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/02/rustic-chicken-soup-for-soul.html

I usually skip the potatoes, but do NOT skip the balsamic vinegar.