Just when I thought I was making progress...

cdsledge09
cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I hope that I misunderstood another thread, but I kind of got the impression that if you're a slow runner/jogger that you may as well walk. :sad: I understand that the faster you are able to run the more wind resistance, stamina, toning/shaping and calorie burning your body does, but is that to say that there isn't much benefit to running at a slow pace? I have been doing the C25k and I am still slow, but my goal has been to complete each workout. I have repeated several weeks until I am comfortable, but overall my goal has been getting done without much focus on speed. Should I be more concerned with the speed and less about the time I can run in each segment? I am trying to find a reasonable pedometer to help with timing my runs, but that has proven to be a challenge and will add to the gear I already strap on during exercise (currently I wear my Ipod and a bodybugg).

Unfortunately, I can't run the c25k app and my pedometer app at the same time on my Ipod :grumble: :grumble: (system limitation). If anyone has any suggestions for either of my issues please feel free.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'm not a professional and don't know much about all the technical aspects of this, but I'm doing C25K as well and see no reason why you should *have* to focus on speed. That's something that will come in time. I would MUCH rather jog at a slower pace now, and complete the C25K, and then once I've improved my fitness enough I will then work on improving my speed. It seems like if you jump right to focusing on speed, it is just too much too soon. (At least it would be for me.) I'm proud of my C25K progress - slow jogging and all!
  • I don't know much about the apps, but keep running!
    You first have to build the endurance, then you can work on speed. I haven't started running yet, barely walking some weeks, but plan on doing C25K in October to maybe run a marathon in the Spring. Well, so I've been looking into all that training stuff. Lots of information on how to start running on this site and out on the internet.
    Good luck to ya ~
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    No worry you are doing fine. Walking is a benefit no matter how you do it. Anything counts. The only thing is after so long your body gets used to it and you need to step it up a bit. If you are walking 2 miles an hour and it's easy meaning easily talking then up it to 2.5 miles and so on. You don't want it so easy it doesn't work you heart. You want to keep your heart rate up a bit. You want to walk a pace where you can still carry on a conversation but not easily. Keep it up you will make it to wear you want to go. Don't stress about it. Good Luck
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    What's it matter how fast youre going? It's called COUCH to 5k and not Established Runner to Race Winner for a reason. Some people just feel the need to make themselves feel superior at the expense of others. Keep doing your program to the best of your ability. If you want to work on speed, so be it. If you don't, big deal!

(ps, i didnt see or read the other thread, so im not speaking out against anyone, just got the impression some crappy comments were made in regards to how people are doing their C25K program)
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    No worry you are doing fine. Walking is a benefit no matter how you do it. Anything counts. The only thing is after so long your body gets used to it and you need to step it up a bit. If you are walking 2 miles an hour and it's easy meaning easily talking then up it to 2.5 miles and so on. You don't want it so easy it doesn't work you heart. You want to keep your heart rate up a bit. You want to walk a pace where you can still carry on a conversation but not easily. Keep it up you will make it to wear you want to go. Don't stress about it. Good Luck
    quote]

I walk at 3.6mph, or so my Ipod, pedometer says, so my jogs are probably at 3.6 to 3.8 mph. I appreciate all of the great responses. I'm going to keep it up at my snails pace. :bigsmile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I hope that I misunderstood another thread, but I kind of got the impression that if you're a slow runner/jogger that you may as well walk. :sad: I understand that the faster you are able to run the more wind resistance, stamina, toning/shaping and calorie burning your body does, but is that to say that there isn't much benefit to running at a slow pace? I have been doing the C25k and I am still slow, but my goal has been to complete each workout. I have repeated several weeks until I am comfortable, but overall my goal has been getting done without much focus on speed. Should I be more concerned with the speed and less about the time I can run in each segment? I am trying to find a reasonable pedometer to help with timing my runs, but that has proven to be a challenge and will add to the gear I already strap on during exercise (currently I wear my Ipod and a bodybugg).

Unfortunately, I can't run the c25k app and my pedometer app at the same time on my Ipod :grumble: :grumble: (system limitation). If anyone has any suggestions for either of my issues please feel free.

:flowerforyou:

Running is running and what the people who spouted that "you have to run fast" need to remember is that not everybody is capable of that. Ignore all that sort of "advice", stick to a speed you feel comfortable at and as long as you remain healthy and do not get injured, I can guarantee that eventually you will run faster and faster with the same amount of effort that you now expend.

Run too fast and it will completely put you off, run at a speed you are comfortable with and you are so much more likely to continue. Continue and you will get fitter, faster and stronger.

All the best in your running, it is a terrific calorie burner and very addictive.

Go your own speed and ignore what everybody else is doing, they are not you and the only person that knows how you feel when running is you :flowerforyou:

ps I wonder just how fast these people were talking about?
This discussion has been closed.