Iliac Crest Pain

Options
Okay, from the research, its iliac crest pain due to any number of issues.

I am 45, 6 foot 4, 250 pounds, I was on active duty in the military for over 20 years and noe have a sedentary job, been with the new lifestyle for 7 months, lost 60 pounds so far and not sure what I should do with this pain. I have had these recommendations thus far:

More stretching, esp. hip flexors
RICE
See a chiropractor
Get new shoes (done)
Run on the crest of the road, or on flat paved surfaces
Add glucosamine to my diet

What have you expereinced, and how did you get through it?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Active Release Therapy helped me, although the pain never totally went away. The doctor doing the therapy recommended hip strengthening 3x a week:

monster walk with resistance band around ankles
    clamshells with resistance band around knees
    side leg lifts with resistance band around ankles
    hip hikes standing on the edge of a stair

Also strengthen posterior chain - glutes and hamstrings. Hip bridges with stability ball, squats, deadlifts, etc.

After each run the doctor said to do a side stretch with one leg crossed over the other. Hold for at least 60 seconds. Also can't hurt to look up some IT band stretches.
  • LovestheEarth
    LovestheEarth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and have had SI pain for the last 5 years. In that time, I've tried numerous pain killers, physical therapy, lost weight and gained weight, various shoes and seeing a chiropractor. The chiropractor didn't do me any good. The only thing I've found that truly helps the pain is walking and stretching my lower back and hips. Working on strength training for my back and legs also helps. The stretch that I do that helps the most is by laying on my back, bending my knees, crossing one over the other (one foot remains on the floor) and then pulling it in towards my chest. That's the stretch that I think ultimately manages my pain.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've found that truly helps the pain is walking and stretching my lower back and hips. Working on strength training for my back and legs also helps. The stretch that I do that helps the most is by laying on my back, bending my knees, crossing one over the other (one foot remains on the floor) and then pulling it in towards my chest. That's the stretch that I think ultimately manages my pain.

I'm pretty much the same as this. Pain killers work, but it's not the long term solution. I do stretch similar to the one Lovestheearth uses, but I do it by kneeling on the floor similar to how a sprinter starts, but placing my foot behind the opposite knee and applying pressure. Also I use a foam roller to work my hips and thighs.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Have you tried massage? I get some pain along my iliac crest that feels like muscular (but google suggests it may also be ligament … hmmm, never knew that). Massage has helped, at least temporarily. Heat/ice and stretching have also been things I've used to alleviate the pain.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Okay, from the research, its iliac crest pain due to any number of issues.

You didn't give us much information about the problem..

1 - one side or both?

2 - how long has it been going on for?

3 - what do you think started it?

4 - does it always hurt, or just certain situations?

5 - what is your exercise routine?
  • pzacher68
    pzacher68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose, Oh, sorry about that.

1 - right side only. (i had some very minor ITB soreness/stiffness a few weeks back)

2 - Significant pain today, the discomfort started Saturday the 11th I have walked a few miles and jogged 2 miles Saturday and 3 miles Sunday hoping to work out the kinks.

3 - My guesses as to how it started... No idea, I figured its been too long since the ITB discomfort to be 'compensatory pain'. I got new shoes on Sunday, and they are really comfortable. I used to stretch very thoroughly while in the military, a little less now, but it hasn't bothered me for the last 6 months (that's how long I have been losing weight).

Poor posture, running too much on the side of a crowned road, overuse, underuse, poor stetching?

4 - If I stand, it hurts. Sitting is alright, but anything at the standing position hurts.

5 - I walk 1 mile 3x per day M-F, treadmill in the evening 2-3 times a week. Weekends, treadmill and outdoor walking/running depending on how well I feel. At least 2 miles of something.
  • pzacher68
    Options
    Active Release Therapy helped me, although the pain never totally went away. The doctor doing the therapy recommended hip strengthening 3x a week:

monster walk with resistance band around ankles
    clamshells with resistance band around knees
    side leg lifts with resistance band around ankles
    hip hikes standing on the edge of a stair

Also strengthen posterior chain - glutes and hamstrings. Hip bridges with stability ball, squats, deadlifts, etc.

After each run the doctor said to do a side stretch with one leg crossed over the other. Hold for at least 60 seconds. Also can't hurt to look up some IT band stretches.
    Thank you! I will look up those stretches!
  • pzacher68
    Options
    I'm 25 and have had SI pain for the last 5 years. In that time, I've tried numerous pain killers, physical therapy, lost weight and gained weight, various shoes and seeing a chiropractor. The chiropractor didn't do me any good. The only thing I've found that truly helps the pain is walking and stretching my lower back and hips. Working on strength training for my back and legs also helps. The stretch that I do that helps the most is by laying on my back, bending my knees, crossing one over the other (one foot remains on the floor) and then pulling it in towards my chest. That's the stretch that I think ultimately manages my pain.

Thank you! Leg strength has never beeen an issue, but lower back and abdominal strength definitely would not hurt.
  • pzacher68
    Options

I'm pretty much the same as this. Pain killers work, but it's not the long term solution. I do stretch similar to the one Lovestheearth uses, but I do it by kneeling on the floor similar to how a sprinter starts, but placing my foot behind the opposite knee and applying pressure. Also I use a foam roller to work my hips and thighs.
    Thank you, I'll try all these stretches.
  • haccarizzi
    Options
    Acupuncture worked for me.
  • pzacher68
    Options
    Have you tried massage? I get some pain along my iliac crest that feels like muscular (but google suggests it may also be ligament … hmmm, never knew that). Massage has helped, at least temporarily. Heat/ice and stretching have also been things I've used to alleviate the pain.

I thought I bruised my hip somehow, but doing a little research lead me to believe otherwise. I would LOVE massage therapy from my spouse, alas, it is for nought! I think the stretching/rest will have to be step one. Thank you.
  • zivkara783
    zivkara783 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had hip (iliac crest) and lower back pain/problems for the past couple years, ever since I started working from home at my computer. I`ve tried changing my posture, chair, using pillows for support but nothing helped me much. I did a lot of research to get to the bottom of this, watched videos, read some articles and finally decided to formulate some sort of stretching+strengthening routine for my lower back and my core. It made such an incredible difference even I couldn`t believe it! This is where I found a good iliopsoas muscle stretching and release video which prompted me to start my research: http://helpyourback.org/health/iliac-crest-pain-causes-treatment-and-prevention/ . Also, I found this image with a few good back and core strengthening exercises:
    back.strengthening.exercises.routine1.jpg