It's just not working

Options
I am so frustrated. I have been trying to lose weight the healthy way by eating enough calories since December 9. On that day I weighed 139 and I have my net set to 1300 calories. I eat back my exercise calories. I gained some weight in the beginning which I heard was normal and then I started losing. On Friday I weighed 137, I felt great and felt for the first time I was happy while losing weight. I was out of town this weekend and came back gaining 2 pounds. I stuck to my calories but ate out a lot so I figured it was water weight from the sodium. Well I was home yesterday and this morning I was up another pound! I'm now 140.4. I almost just want to give up and stop eating back my calories. I weigh everything and document everything that goes in my mouth, even a piece of gum. Weighing and measuring everything is time consuming and I'm about to stop cause it's obviously not working. What am I doing wrong????

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate daily up to 5 pounds, and water weight may take a few days to drop off. Give it some time, and make sure you're measuring as accurately as possible (weigh food you make at home, etc).
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Keep weighing and measuring, it's likely what will help you the most over time. How many exercise calories are you usually eating?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    As your ticker says, losing weight is a process. It takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

One possibility to try: eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Also, how tall are you? You look like you are at a perfect weight in your profile picture.
  • BecciJoWilding
    BecciJoWilding Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3. I am at the high end of the healthy weight, my goal is 125 so I'm in the middle of my healthy range. I weigh and measure everything when I am at home and when I eat out, I always look at the website before going out and deciding what I am going to eat before getting to the restaurant. It's just frustrating because it's been over a month and I am now 1 pound heavier than I started. I also eat all my exercise calories back to net 1300. I am doing insanity so last month it was eating back about 350 calories. Yesterday I ate 700 exercise calories cause they had us doing a double workout with the fit test plus the workout for the day. I wear a hrm with a strap that tells me how many calories I burn
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I understand completely. My guess is that it may have to do with exercise calories. What kind of exercise do you do, how many calories do you eat back?

Edit: Just saw your edit. I may get criticized for saying this, but I would try not eating back your calories, unless you are feeling hungry, weak, or tired. Eat a lot of protein though. It sounds like you are eating right around maintenance.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your ready to quit after a month.. its already over.
  • hotmamajenE
    hotmamajenE Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think stressing yourself so much is not helping. Being able to vent on here to people should help you feel better. if you are exercising you are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat so that could be the reason the scale changes for you. I would rather go by how my clothes fit rather than the number on the scale. I feel the same way you do though, my 7 yr. old son looked at me strangely this am when I am measuring my cereal into a measuring cup to eat. don't give up and keep at it!
  • BecciJoWilding
    BecciJoWilding Posts: 50 Member
    Options

over a month and only seeing a pound gained on the scale, yes it's frustrating
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    A few things. Take before pictures. Take before measurements. Give it longer than a month, especially at your size, it may take six months before you get the body you want. Don't get hung up on your weight especially if you're going to be doing Insanity.
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat out, the reason I ask is because that is the food that your basically estimating because you have no way to measure your portions. Also how much is your deficit, since you don't have much to lose I wouldn't try to do more than 1 lb a week. try figuring out what your BMR is and not eating below that. I also agree with eating back only half of your exercise calories. What works for one person doesn't always work for another, it's all trial and error you have to figure out what works best for you.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

Great insightful post there guy.

1. Make sure you have your activity level, height, and current weight up to date in MFP.

2. Do not short sell yourself on calories. Pam, coffee creamer, condiments do have calories.

3. If you did the moronic approach of avoiding carbs for a long time, and started eating them again, glycogen will fill back up and cause temporarily weight gain. (it's ok, it's not fat)

4. Stop eating back exercise calories. If you want to lose 1lb a week. find your MAINTENANCE calories and subtract 500. If you would rather cut slowly take away about 200-300.

5. Sodium can, and WILL make you hold on to a lot of water weight. Don't go crazy avoiding it, but be mindful of it.

It's simple. As long as you DO NOT eat over the allotted calories you will lose weight. And do NOT weigh yourself daily. Weight changes daily from sodium, eating a lot at night, etc. I gain 10lbs. at night before I go to bed because I have my "Flex Bowl" with nothing but carbs and sweets. But in the AM I'm back to normal.

And remember, it's not a defined straight line science to building muscle/ losing weight. It takes time, and trial & error. Don't get frustrated and quit.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi, so we have pretty much the same stats. I'm 5'4" and weighed in last night at 141, but my goal is 135.
    In my case, breaking 138-140 is the absolute hardest. When I got below that, dropping a few more lbs was "easy."
    I've been following Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer, so I'm doing plenty of lifting, plus going to zumba, spin, yoga, etc, all while counting, weighing, and measuring my food. It's slow going when you're petite.

It's hard not to get discouraged, but seriously, stick with what you're doing. It will come off!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat out, the reason I ask is because that is the food that your basically estimating because you have no way to measure your portions. Also how much is your deficit, since you don't have much to lose I wouldn't try to do more than 1 lb a week. try figuring out what your BMR is and not eating below that. I also agree with eating back only half of your exercise calories. What works for one person doesn't always work for another, it's all trial and error you have to figure out what works best for you.

This.

You don't have much to lose, so don't hold yourself to the same standard as someone starting out with 100 pounds to lose. It's a lot harder when you're as close as you are.

Go to fitnessfrog.com and calculate your BMR, RMR and TDEE. That should give you a better idea of what your body needs to function and the amount of calories you should be eating.

Good luck. Don't give up, even though it's frustrating. And try to eat out less! :)
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I lose weight by eating between 1200 - 1400 calories each day and not eating back my exercise calories. Also when you are at a lower weight, it's harder/slower to lose weight.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh all your foods. You may be eating more than you realize.

Your exercise calories may be overstated. This is common, as all estimates are just that: estimates. Try eating back half of your exercise calories instead of all of them.

Don't quit!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate 700 exercise calories cause they had us doing a double workout with the fit test plus the workout for the day. I wear a hrm with a strap that tells me how many calories I burn
    Here you go. It will take a day or so for your body to process the extra food. So you really didn't "gain" weight. It's just still in your stomach. Also, when you work out, your body retains water to repair the muscles and that can add up to a pound or two.

Drink lots of water and i'm sure those pounds will be gone in another day or so. It always takes me 2-3 days to "wash away" the weekend.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I also didn't really shed too many pounds doing Insanity, but I felt much stronger and had a lot more endurance. Have you been taking measurements or anything like that? Maybe you are losing inches/gaining muscle, and that's why you're not seeing much change on the scale. Good luck!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options

Well that's helpful..not! Not cool....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    weigh solids, measure liquids, don't trust HRM during non-steady state cardio (Insanity in Intervals, so your HRM will most likely over estimate calories burned, maybe only eat 75% of them back)