Can you drink too much lemon water?

Options
2»

Replies

• randombro2222
    Options
    I drink this all the time, and often forget to wash the lemons, so I'll do that from now on.

Question - are the negative effect on stomach and teeth the same if I use slices of lime?

Yes they are still there, but if you use a straw then you're fine for the teeth. As for the stomach, it's a tolerance that you yourself would have to figure out. Although I suggest one lemon in a huge jar or juice pitcher, that way it isn't hard on you if you are having these issues.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Actually on the contrary, lemon-water is quite important. Lemons have alkaline minerals such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium. These are very important to maintain a proper PH level within the body, and every little bit we can do for ourselves should never be disregarded.

Certainly you can get these minerals in number of ways, but why settle for less? Lemons are the highest on the alkaline chart and recognized for those four minerals especially, not to say that is all that's contained within it, so indeed it's a very beneficial addition in what we consume in our daily lives.

Nonsense.

Lemon water is not important and one can have a perfectly heathy diet, getting all those micro nutrients, with or without lemons.
  • randombro2222
    Options
    Paperpudding, you wrote:
    Nonsense.

Lemon water is not important and one can have a perfectly heathy diet, getting all those micro nutrients, with or without lemons.

In response to what I had said in my previous post.
    Actually on the contrary, lemon-water is quite important. Lemons have alkaline minerals such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium. These are very important to maintain a proper PH level within the body, and every little bit we can do for ourselves should never be disregarded.

Certainly you can get these minerals in number of ways, but why settle for less? Lemons are the highest on the alkaline chart and recognized for those four minerals especially, not to say that is all that's contained within it, so indeed it's a very beneficial addition in what we consume in our daily lives.

I'm going to just leave those quotes here, for other users to read and lets see if they can connect the dots. I don't like trolls, and I don't deal with them. Peace!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    You are calling me a troll because I disagreed with your post about the importance of lemon water?? :laugh:
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Two pregnancies have done a number on the enamel on my teeth, so I make sure to brush them with an enamel strengthening brand directly after I finish a meal or drink a lot of lemon water. I keep a small cosmetic bag in my purse with a toothbrush and toothpaste. I love water with lemon slices. ;) Sometimes I switch it up with strawberries, mint, other berries, cucumbers, or other fruit. Sometimes I use sparkling water instead of regular water.

I vote drink up, and keep an eye on your teeth. If you start to have problems with either your stomach or teeth cut back.
  • slimmmerman
    Options
    Hiya

I found an amazing way to clean fruit and vegetables that works and helps them keep much longer! I guess washing the chemicals off of them just is a good thing for them and us both. This is not a sales pitch for some other chemical as I'm sure some are thinking. I just half fill the sink adding 1 cup of vinegar and then the fruits/veggies and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Drain and rinse and then my lemons will last for three+ weeks. I purée the entire lemon, one lime and some mint from my garden and put that in an infuser type jug.

Kevin
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Actually you shouldn't brush the teeth immediately after having eaten citrus fruits, because the acids soften the enamel and if you brush then, you can cause damage to the surface.

I don't recall the source of this but think it was in a uni class.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    You are calling me a troll because I disagreed with your post about the importance of lemon water?? :laugh:
    Yeah, life sucks :laugh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Actually you shouldn't brush the teeth immediately after having eaten citrus fruits, because the acids soften the enamel and if you brush then, you can cause damage to the surface.

Plus every dentist.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I drink lemon & lime waters all the time, my dentist said to use a straw (I have also taken the Dental Admin Assist course so I know it's a good idea. As for the acid in lemons bothering your stomach, lol: do you actually know the strength of the hydrochloric acid your stomach produces?
    "Parietal cells in the stomach secrete roughly two liters of acid a day in the form of hydrochloric acid. Acid in the stomach functions to kill bacteria, and to aid digestion by solubilizing food. The acid is also important to establish the optimal pH (between 1.8-3.5) for the function of the digestive enzyme pepsin."
    http://courses.washington.edu/conj/bess/acid/acidreg.html

"The pH is low, about 0.7 to 3.8." (re: stomach acids)
    https://www.inkling.com/read/medical-physiology-rodney-rhoades-david-bell-4th/chapter-26/gastric-secretion
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Plus every dentist.
    Clearly not since so many, both in this and other threads, have talked about brushing their teeth immediately after ingesting something very acidic.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I ate too much pineapple on time and it burned my mouth. Lemon is acidic too. Just go by how you feel.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I drink lemon & lime waters all the time, my dentist said to use a straw (I have also taken the Dental Admin Assist course so I know it's a good idea. As for the acid in lemons bothering your stomach, lol: do you actually know the strength of the hydrochloric acid your stomach produces?
    "Parietal cells in the stomach secrete roughly two liters of acid a day in the form of hydrochloric acid. Acid in the stomach functions to kill bacteria, and to aid digestion by solubilizing food. The acid is also important to establish the optimal pH (between 1.8-3.5) for the function of the digestive enzyme pepsin."

https://www.inkling.com/read/medical-physiology-rodney-rhoades-david-bell-4th/chapter-26/gastric-secretion
    Pepsinogen wouldn't become pepsin without HCl. This is kind of derailing the thing, though.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

Pepsinogen wouldn't become pepsin without HCl. This is kind of derailing the thing, though.
    Just pointing out that we don't need to worry about the stomach when it comes to ingesting acidic foods - it'll burn our other mucous membranes long before it's strong enough to do anything to our stomachs.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Hiya

I found an amazing way to clean fruit and vegetables that works and helps them keep much longer! I guess washing the chemicals off of them just is a good thing for them and us both. This is not a sales pitch for some other chemical as I'm sure some are thinking. I just half fill the sink adding 1 cup of vinegar and then the fruits/veggies and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Drain and rinse and then my lemons will last for three+ weeks. I purée the entire lemon, one lime and some mint from my garden and put that in an infuser type jug.

Kevin

But whole lemons, easily last for at least 3 weeks anyway - without doing all this .:indifferent:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Plus every dentist.
    Clearly not since so many, both in this and other threads, have talked about brushing their teeth immediately after ingesting something very acidic.

Really?? Oh by "many" you mean many people rather than many dentists.

I've also been told that we're really not supposed to brush immediately after eating as acid levels rise in the mouth to digest food and this weakens the enamel.