Energy builders other than coffee?

I'm so sleepy all the time! Even if I get a full 8 hours of sleep...or maybe I'm just bored at work. Either way, I need some ideas please. Does anyone know of any good energy builders that don't involve coffee or supplements?

Replies

• candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Exercise really gets the blood pumping and energizes you
  • Exercise really gets the blood pumping and energizes you

I exercise every morning and night, but the energy doesn't last :sad:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Are you eating enough? If you are exercising twice a day and eating a low calorie diet, that's likely your problem.

Also, depending on where you live, it could be a bit of seasonal affective disorder. I believe this impacts most people to one degree or another.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Green tea, Moringa Oleifera, vitamin B complex and taurine - i've used all of them at different times to gain energy. Typically I take the Moringa Oleifera, if that fails - then an energy drink that has the B vitamin & taurine.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    I tend to feel better when I take a multi-vitamin and an essential fatty acid supplement (i.e., fish oil). Its hard to get all the nutrients you need when you are reducing calories. I guess that might count as a supplement, but it works for me.
  • Are you eating enough? If you are exercising twice a day and eating a low calorie diet, that's likely your problem.

I eat around 1500 calories, but I try to eat them back after exercising. But I'm honestly full. I don't want to eat for the sake of eating if my body isn't telling me I'm hungry. But that may be it....idk.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    I read that apples are a better "wake me up" than coffee. I have to try it myself sometimes...
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, real water, not soda or juice, etc. Fatigue is one of the first signs of dehydration. I also like to drink a cup of flavored green tea after lunch, keeps me from getting the after lunch "itis", lol. If not this it could be something more serious and you may need to see your doctor about it.
  • marshalockyer
    marshalockyer Posts: 1 Member
    My job bores me also and I was having the same issues with no energy. I go to the gym directly after work and I was finding it so hard to get a good work out in. I upped my water consumption and I found that worked really well for me, and with all those trips to the washroom I was getting a little exercise in!
  • My job bores me also and I was having the same issues with no energy. I go to the gym directly after work and I was finding it so hard to get a good work out in. I upped my water consumption and I found that worked really well for me, and with all those trips to the washroom I was getting a little exercise in!

lol yea I may have to drink more water. I try to drink 3 10oz cup of water at work.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I'm so sleepy all the time! Even if I get a full 8 hours of sleep...or maybe I'm just bored at work. Either way, I need some ideas please. Does anyone know of any good energy builders that don't involve coffee or supplements?

Get up and move around at work. Do some stairs, go for a quick walk, even do some squats. Getting your blood pumping for a couple of minutes will keep you awake and more energized.
  • I love this stuff >> http://guayaki.com/product/681/Enlighten-Mint--<br>-[Case-of-12].html

It is an all natural energy drink. I find it comparable to a monster or red bull in terms of energy, but it tastes better and is a whole lot better for you. Plus, at least where I buy it locally, it's cheaper than a Monster drink. Check a Sprouts Farmer's Market if you have one, or maybe Whole Foods or similar.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Power naps.

I've never slept very much and sleeping a full 8hrs (or more) makes me overtired, so a lot of the time I'll sleep just a few hours and then take very short naps if I ever need to. Works for me because I run better on less sleep and I find myself more alert. Maybe you're one of those people. :)

edit: oh, and a tip I've learned from boring lectures is to keep yourself either cold or needing the loo, because those are two sensations that will keep you awake no matter what.
  • Power naps.

I've never slept very much and sleeping a full 8hrs (or more) makes me overtired, so a lot of the time I'll sleep just a few hours and then take very short naps if I ever need to. Works for me because I run better on less sleep and I find myself more alert. Maybe you're one of those people. :)

edit: oh, and a tip I've learned from boring lectures is to keep yourself either cold or needing the loo, because those are two sensations that will keep you awake no matter what.

Omg yea I fell like if I get 8 hours I'm waaay too tired also. But I thought it was essential to sleep a full 8 hours in a row. So I force myself. But this morning I felt like doody trying to exercise through my sleepiness. I shall be come a power napper!! :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Are you eating enough? If you are exercising twice a day and eating a low calorie diet, that's likely your problem.

I eat around 1500 calories, but I try to eat them back after exercising. But I'm honestly full. I don't want to eat for the sake of eating if my body isn't telling me I'm hungry. But that may be it....idk.

If I eat anything less than 1700 calories, then I'm beat. At 1500, I would be unable to even do light housework. Make sure your body isn't just fooling you by compensating your leptin levels. I maintain on about 2600 calories and eat 2000-2300 when cutting. (Of course, I probably weigh a lot more than you, but you probably do a lot more cardio than I do.)

At any rate, I went through a period of this for about a week, then I found the Eat More to Weigh Less group and the Message Boards and realized that the online calculators are an estimate. In fact, I need to eat about 1800 calories to feel normal instead of weak and tired. Then I read the NROLFW book and looked into weight lifting and decided that I'm not in any hurry, now that I'm no longer "morbidly obese." I shoot for around 2000 calories and usually come in under 2300, including dessert after dinner.
  • Green tea, Moringa Oleifera, vitamin B complex and taurine - i've used all of them at different times to gain energy. Typically I take the Moringa Oleifera, if that fails - then an energy drink that has the B vitamin & taurine.

Green tea is my boo. I also take vitamin b and d. But maybe I should talk them at different times. Also, what is Moringa Oleifera and where can you get it? What does it do?
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    I'd make sure you're eating and drinking enough.

If you really need a boost, you could try the low carb variety of Monster. I have one on occasion if I'm feeling tired.

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/productreviews/gr/monster-lo-carb-energy-drink.htm
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    I really like Green tea with Ginseng in it. It makes me feel very awake. Exercise always perks me up also. A quick walk at lunch and I am full of energy again.
  • ThomasFMendiola
    ThomasFMendiola Posts: 38 Member
    Juicing has become my new "energy drink", I seem to get such a full boost after drinking a morning juice, the upside too is no sugar crash unlike the traditional so called "energy drinks".