Oh where to start.

I've directed before. I've done cleanses before and never stuck to it. Now I need motivation to stick to, because in July my family will be going and renting a beach house in Florida for a week and my large goal is to lose 50lbs or even more (if it's possible) but my problem is where to start and how to stick to it. I plan on doing small goals, such as 1lb a week, but if I cut out all sugar, salt and the evil soda in my life, maybe the results will be better and quicker. I'm just new to all of this and need support from those who have succeeded. Thanks!

Sarah

Replies

• MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Also with exercising, what do you recommend with having two toddlers?
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Stop with the cleanses. They're gimmicks and a waste of money. The results are not sustainable.

Where you start is by making small sustainable changes.

Don't cut out all soda period. This week, try to half the amount of soda you drink. Say you drink 4 glasses a day. This week, stick to 2 a day. Next week, 1 a day. Then the week after that, none. Make gradual changes.

Same thing with sugar. You'll probably never be able to cut it out completely, so don't set yourself up for failure. make sure you have a reasonable calorie goal.

As for at home work outs, I think a body weight circuit could help. Do some jumping jacks to warm up (say 2-3 sets of 25), then some squats or lunges, some push ups- even if you have to start on your knees, things like that.

Check out this link for some ideas:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Go for the time-saving DVDs that have 20 minute workouts. If you can get it in even after the kids are asleep or sometime early in the morning, it's great. Find stuff you and the kids can do too! Even if it's a game of tag outside or something that you all can do together, you'll burn calories and not even realize it. Small changes are key, don't totally cut things out right away because you'll end up going back eventually, which is the nature of a diet. It's cliche, but it's a lifestyle change so always think of it that way. You can do it!
  • I am currently reading Dr. Phil McGraw's book, 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom

Some things I have learned
    *It is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change
    *Goals have to be realistic, If you set a deadline (your trip) then you are setting yourself up for failure
    *Instead of just saying I am going to lose weight, say: I am going to lose x pounds so that I weigh X by walking before work every morning and eating healthy.
    *Change your mindset!

So far it is a great read, I highly suggest it. it isn't another fad diet. It is how to change your thinking so you are successful long term and keep it off.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

^^This helped me tremendously! MFP is a great tool, however not knowing what calories to take in has always been my problem. First you need to know your TDEE and BMR (not BMI) so you know where your calorie intake should really be.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

^This was recommended to me as well. I used to have a goal of 1200 cal, but since reading the first link I understand that it is unsustainable for long periods of time and not healthy either. I now eat my BMR (or at least try to) and have started eating back my exercise calories.

Agree with the 20 minute exercise DVDs. I have 2 little ones myself and finding time is hard. I have used every excuse, joined gyms (only to never have the time to go) and made a home gym. All failures. You need to make time for you BOTTOM LINE. Take 20-30 minutes with a Jillian Michaels DVD (my personal favorite is 30 Day Shred). Its just long enough for it to be completed before the kiddos wake up in the morning or while they nap.

DON'T GIVE UP!!! You can do this!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I've directed before. I've done cleanses before and never stuck to it. Now I need motivation to stick to, because in July my family will be going and renting a beach house in Florida for a week and my large goal is to lose 50lbs or even more (if it's possible) but my problem is where to start and how to stick to it. I plan on doing small goals, such as 1lb a week, but if I cut out all sugar, salt and the evil soda in my life, maybe the results will be better and quicker. I'm just new to all of this and need support from those who have succeeded. Thanks!

Sarah

First: Quit with the cleanses and detox's. I have yet to find an actual doctor or nutritionist who recommends them.

Second: If you try to go "cold turkey" on all the sugar, salt, soda, etc., well....it won't be pretty. Whatever you do, it has to be "live-able" for you, or you won't be able to stick to it.

Whenever you're planning a meal, or even a snack for that matter, focus on protein first. A nutritionist told me if you focus on protein, the fats/carbs will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty accurate.

It's also about making *better* choices. It doesn't have to be the *smartest, most bestest, all-world* choice, but it has to be "better". For example....if you have a choice between French fries, baked potato or green beans, We all know what the worst choice is...the fries. The better choice is baked potato (NOT LOADED, but a little butter, salt, pepper). If you're really going to be good, go with the green beans. Particularly if there's something else you really want. Grilled chicken is always better than fried, at least on the food journal - but sometimes the soul just wants fried chicken.

If I go to Longhorn Steakhouse or Outback Steakhouse, I usually get a 6 oz. sirloin. If I want the bread they bring to the table, I'll order green beans. If I can live without the bread, I'll get the baked potato. Rarely do I get the fries, but once in a blue moon I will.

I typically allow myself a diet soda a day at lunch. I try to stick with water the rest of the day.

You'll need to find a way to approach this that doesn't scare you, that won't "blow you out the first day", but that will allow you to be human and not feel deprived.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Lots of good advice above. Just want to add, I started by just logging my food for a week without changing anything. It opened my eyes to my portion sizes and where the extra calories were creeping in. I also gave me a starting point. As far as exercise, you have 2 toddlers. They make excellent kettle bells and weights while the laughing and giggling becomes a great motivator to keep going.
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    If you can get an activity tracker like a Fitbit or some such, you could start by just increasing your activity level. This is easier to do at first than trying to shoehorn in hours of formal "workouts" that you can't sustain in the long run, and you can increase your step goals as you naturally get more active. And seeing that daily step count go up as you start bringing in new activities is a great way to reinforce the idea that every little bit helps, that small changes can add up to big ones.

I don't know about the others, but Fitbit, at least, integrates really well with MFP. Even if you don't log any specific workouts or exercise, you still get calorie credits for the activity you do throughout the day (and you get docked calories if you're less active). It's a great reminder to keep moving, and the calorie credits/debits are nice because you see that direct correlation between activity and calories. (And I suspect you'll find that just by chasing two toddlers around, you're probably already getting more activity than you realize!)

Things like an extra lap around the block on the way home from the park or a dance party in the living room with the kids will get your step count up (we dance in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner), and help get you physically and mentally ready to start adding things like DVD workouts and longer, specifically "workout" walks. My daughter is a little older now and able to play on the playground without me standing over her, so I walk laps around the soccer field where I can still keep an eye on her while she plays. But you could do squats or step-ups onto a bench while your little ones play in the sandbox--anything to keep moving while they're occupied for a couple of minutes. Just adding a few extra steps to each thing you do with them will really add up over time.

And when you do set aside time specifically for exercise, you can find ways to involve the kids in your workouts--find a Zumba DVD with good music and let them dance along with you, or give them beach towels for "yoga mats" and let them stretch with you. Once they see that it's a daily part of your household routine, they'll want to be part of it, too.

My daughter used to love to watch my husband do his Wii boxing because he made his avatar a cartoon bear, and she was so tickled by the idea of a boxing bear! She used to call it his "exercise zideo game". I sometimes do the Wii Fit Plus exercises when I can't squeeze in another type of workout (they're not the biggest calorie burn, but some are enough to get your heart rate up and do a bit of strength work), and she loves to run and step and box and hula hoop along with me, because the graphics are cartoony and fun. She's old enough to play the games herself now, but even when she was smaller she loved to watch us and pretend she was doing them too.

We also do a family walk around the block after dinner whenever weather and schedule permit (sometimes it means eating a little earlier, or walking in the dark, but it's worth the adjustments). It's a great way to have each other's undivided attention, and now that my daughter is old enough to walk the whole way herself, it's a great way to burn off that last little bit of energy before bedtime. We walk up to the elementary school, and I walk a couple of extra laps around the blacktop while she plays hopscotch and runs around playing tag with her dad.

The point is to make being active and eating healthy a part of your household's lifestyle, not something you force yourself to do just to meet a specific deadline. You'll be doing yourself--and your family--a huge favor in the long run. If you go into this with an upbeat attitude, start with smaller changes, and involve everyone, this can be a fun lifestyle adjustment that will stick--because it works, and because you're all happier and healthier and more energetic.

Good luck!
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks for the advice! I usually drink one can/glass of soda a day and I feel really crummy afterwords so I think I may just cut down to one every other day for now. I wouldn't want diet because of aspartame but I know that in the beginning I should do it by moderation.

So far, I have made pretty decent choices on dinners. Like for example, my husband asked for spaghetti one night for dinner, so instead of the usual ground beef, noodles and sauce, I used ground turkey, whole grain noodles and made my own tomato sauce without all of the preservatives. Just changing the little things, y'know?