Heart Healthy Diet question?

Options
I recently discovered that my blood pressure has been running kind of high. My diastolic number keeps creeping up really close to the hypertension levels. I had a feeling it probably had something to do with my sodium intake because I tend to crave salty foods more so than sweet foods. Also, my calves have been feeling "off". Sooo...I decided to go low-sodium and see if that helps. After a few days, I noticed my numbers coming down gradually which is great BUT I'm thinking about taking it a step further. I want to put myself on a heart healthy diet. I know a little bit about it, but I want to make sure my numbers are correct in my diary.

Here is my question:

For a Heart Healthy diet, what should my diary numbers be set for...

sodium
cholesterol
fat

Can you give me any more tips?

Thank you ahead of time!

Replies

• sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im diabetic with high blood pressure
    I just cut as much salt out of everything and try to stay as close to 1300mg of sodium a day
    it is a lot harder than you think just about everything has sodium in it to some extent
    so long as I am pretty close to that it helps a lot
    my swelling has gone way down in the almost 2 months I have been at this (Dec 2nd)
    my weight has dropped because of portion control and exercise
    my BP has gone from dangerously high to the high end of normal
    best of all I feel much better
    I'm not tired all the time
    I am no where near as cranky
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Heart healthy? Depends, but generally speaking a diet that is comprised of mostly whole and minimally processed foods in conjunction with weekly cardio and weight resistance exercise is probably the best course of action and weight loss. But sodium, cholesterol and fat really have very little to do with it. imo