What made you decide to change?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hannah_2507
    Options
    Happiness. I'm fed up of getting up everyday and being miserable. I'm wasting my life hating myself for something that I can change if I tried hard enough. And on top of that I'm going to be heading to Uni next year and I dont want to be held back anymore, I want to enjoy life and I need to start some where. xx
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    1)Being the only child and now having to oversee my Mom's care (Dad died a year ago this week) and having to get her in an Adult Foster Home because she didn't want to move in with me and my Hubby so far from her friends. She can hardly walk, can't dress herself or care for herself at all.:cry: ..and I decided I don't want to become my Mother...and I won't do that to my kids...so now I'm exercising and eating right.:bigsmile:
    2)Having 12 pairs of jeans in my closet (last January) that I couldn't get over my thighs and had only one pair that fit and was so tight I could hardly breath.:sad:

Since January I have lost #36 and gone from a 12-14 to a 6, I have more energy, love the way my clothes fit:love: and my hubby thinks I'm HOT:blushing: Only one pound left and I KNOW I can do it...besides tomorrow is my 56th birthday and that's a GREAT present to myself...so tomorrow I'm going and having pictures done to show the change and I'm pretty happy with the results:wink:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Not fitting into my clothes anymore, having to buy larger sizes, tired of feeling bloated/fat with no energy, got out of breath easy, stopped feeling sexy for myself and boyfriend. Did not like the look in the mirror.

This is exactly how I felt...

And this pic

976502_3705.jpg

Good Luck everyone on this crazy journey! You're all doing fantastically :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs in exactly 3 months. I was a trim, athletic 150 at the end of summer and then a couple days after Christmas, I was 180. I was fitting perfectly into 12s but then was busting out of them.
  • luvstolose
    Options
    I already knew I wanted to lose weight but what really set me in motion was when a little boy I was taking care of at work said "you have a big belly" I tried to just ignore the comment and he said it again that was it I though I am losing this tummy thing!
  • andrewsa
    andrewsa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been entertaining the idea of losing weight for a while... doctor recommended I should... but I started working as a substitute teacher (elementary grades) this past spring and in June a young girl asked me "what's in your tummy?" and at first I looked at her a bit confused...and before I could respond she motioned me to come closer and whispered in my ear "is there a baby in there?" That was when I realized I needed to do something! Kids tell it like it is.

Since then I'm down 22 lbs total. I've only recently joined MFP, but hoping for another 48 lbs (final goal 150).
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    My husband and I are going to be starting a family in the next year or so, and I refuse to have a high risk pregnancy and endanger our children because I'm fat and lazy. I want both of us to be around a long, long time, and at the rate we were going, that wasn't gonna happen!

High fives. Me too!

Geez I have a hard enough time hauling around my fat @rse on its own. I can't imagine 9 months of pregnancy with even more weight. I wouldn't want to risk a healthy pregnancy just cos I'm fat & lazy.

Plus I just don't want to be a fat mom. I wanna have the energy to run and play that I know my child deserves.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The most important reason is because I want to be alive. I am a cancer survivor, my cancer was hormonally receptive. Estrogen is stored in fat cells so being as overweight as I was, even as overweight as I am now is like asking to have cancer again. I am married to an amazing man and we have an amazing little boy and I don't want to limit the already short amount of time I have to spend with them.
  • tammylober
    Options
    I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, literally. It wasn't an over night realization, but after a long period of feeling sick and tired I said enough. I love my new lifestye change. It has made all the difference! Good luck on your health/fitness goals!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Mine was a combination of factors. I turned 25 and realized i wanted more out of life, I had 3 people ask me when i was due in the same weekend (even though i've been married a year that's still a year or two away for us) and finally this summer i will get my RN and i can't stand telling people to be and get healthy when i am not. I want to lose 20 to 30 lbs because even though i look small i am big for me. I have holes in the thighs of my jeans, i have a belly and I have no reason besides laziness that my health has gotten away from me. Like everyone here i want to give myself and my family (and future family) the best i have and to do that i needed to start my journey now.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Reaching the stage where we are infertile. All of the reading I have done suggests that obesity is a large cause of infertility, and we want to get pregnant without needing meds. I know our doctor is going to suggest that I lose weight when I go in November so I figured I could get a head start on it now. It would be amazing to cancel that appointment, I am willing to do whatever it takes to create a family for us.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I personally had no health problems for a woman who was 46 and 346 pounds. Blood tests, sugar, cholesterol all really good. Heart in great shape.

One day I stepped on the scale and realized the next number I saw from 346 as going to be 350. I was not going to have that happen. I have 3 small kids as well and I was missing out on fun things with them.

Good Luck on the journey I am sure you will do great.

Debbie
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    After my second child, I realized that I had stopped losing weight even though I was breastfeeding. With my first child, I had kept 20 excess pounds after pregnancy and after the second I was hanging onto another 10. My mom has struggled with her weight for years and she was having a hard time again, so I offered to come with her to her weight loss meetings called TOPS (it's a non-profit support group). I figured I needed to make the change anyways and it really helped her too.
  • Larsen5346
    Options
    My last doctor visit my doctor came in and said I am a diabetic and my cholesterol is high. Being a paramedic and the look on the doctors face I knew I can be in some real trouble if I don't change my life style. My wife and kids deserves to have a husband and dad around for a long time.
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I want to live my life to the fullest. I want to be me agien. I want to be confidence and have the freedom that comes with it. I want to be the best that I can be. God also wants us to be healthy as he says in the bible many times. :) Thats my two cents.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Doctor's appointment and a conversation with a guy about being overweight. - I realized that I had no excuses for it.
  • alan79
    alan79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    number of reasons:

- turned 30 and wanted to live life differently to how i did in my 20's
    - break down of my 10 year relationship... so lots of free time all of a sudden
    - eating healthy is easier on the wallet I find
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Two pictures. First one was one from Jan I was standing next to someone when I saw them I thought something like "wow look a the beer belly on him" but then I saw the picture and we were about the same size. The other one was from Christmas and I just remember looking at it going that can't be me. Look at those sausage rolls for fingers.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options