Should I Take Electrolyte Tablets? If so, when/how much?

Options
I don't know about you all, but when I run I don't like to drink too much. I like to stay hydrated and cooled, but if I drink too much I can start to feel sloshy and a little sick. For this reason, drinking sports drinks and gels to regain electrolytes during a long run is completely out of the question.

So recently I purchased some electrolyte tablets for longer runs (saltstick for those who are curious). Sometimes I get cramps in my feet after I run and a banana will take care of it if it's just a few miles but for longer runs I'm not going to be munching on any bananas. So my question is, does anyone else use these tablets? If so, how long does a run (or bike ride, swim, etc.) need to be before you consider the tablets necessary? And how many/how often do you take them during a long endurance activity?

There are some "recommendations" on the bottle but it mainly seems to be left up to preference. So what works for you all?

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you all, but when I run I don't like to drink too much. I like to stay hydrated and cooled, but if I drink too much I can start to feel sloshy and a little sick. For this reason, drinking sports drinks and gels to regain electrolytes during a long run is completely out of the question.

So recently I purchased some electrolyte tablets for longer runs (saltstick for those who are curious). Sometimes I get cramps in my feet after I run and a banana will take care of it if it's just a few miles but for longer runs I'm not going to be munching on any bananas. So my question is, does anyone else use these tablets? If so, how long does a run (or bike ride, swim, etc.) need to be before you consider the tablets necessary? And how many/how often do you take them during a long endurance activity?

There are some "recommendations" on the bottle but it mainly seems to be left up to preference. So what works for you all?

If you're drinking so much water that it's sloshing in your stomach, you need to drink less water. Sloshing water is a sign that you're over hydrating. People die from over hydrating - please Google "waterlogged" by Dr Tim Noakes and read the summary. Not trying to scare you, just trying to point you to a resource…the resource on water consumption and endurance training.

And electrolytes for running? Just say no. Really. Until you get into serious long distance running (marathon training in warm, humid weather) or longer, most people have enough electrolytes in their system to be able to exercise without supplementation. Gatorade is doing their best to convince you that you need "extra stuff" for just walking across the street but, when we look at the science behind water consumption, electrolyte loss, etc. our species has done a fine job of adapting to even the most brutal conditions.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    If it's over 70"F and I'm going over 5mi, I'll use First Endurance - EFS.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking so much water that it's sloshing in your stomach, you need to drink less water. Sloshing water is a sign that you're over hydrating. People die from over hydrating - please Google "waterlogged" by Dr Tim Noakes and read the summary. Not trying to scare you, just trying to point you to a resource…the resource on water consumption and endurance training.

And electrolytes for running? Just say no. Really. Until you get into serious long distance running (marathon training in warm, humid weather) or longer, most people have enough electrolytes in their system to be able to exercise without supplementation. Gatorade is doing their best to convince you that you need "extra stuff" for just walking across the street but, when we look at the science behind water consumption, electrolyte loss, etc. our species has done a fine job of adapting to even the most brutal conditions.

I don't drink a lot of water when running, haha! I once made the mistake of running only a little while after I had drank a decent amount of water (12ish ounces) and felt the sloshy feeling that's why I mentioned it. If I run on a treadmill I usually have my 32 oz bottle and I might sip 2 ounces out of it. If I'm running outside I don't even bother taking water with me.

I was just concerned about the cramping in my foot that I get sometimes and I was worried about whether or not that might be due to electrolyte imbalance.