Cardio or strength training on cheat days?

Options
I usually have a cheat meal once a week that usually puts me over my calories for the day by 500 or so. I usually even things out by being under the day before and after. My goal is to lose maybe 2-4 lbs but mainly I need to add lean mass and lose fat.

Is it better to go cardio or strength training on cheat days? Or a little of both or does it not really matter?

Replies

• beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cheat meal once a week that usually puts me over my calories for the day by 500 or so. I usually even things out by being under the day before and after. My goal is to lose maybe 2-4 lbs but mainly I need to add lean mass and lose fat.

Is it better to go cardio or strength training on cheat days? Or a little of both or does it not really matter?

My personal preference would be to do strength training. If I'm going to have a calorie surplus, then I want to take full advantage of that surplus and try to gain strength from it by doing some good ole compound lift weight training.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks, that makes sense. Although I'm always tempted to go on a run to burn as many calories as possible.
  • londontart
    londontart Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I sometimes combine the two by doing HIIT. I also use this when I don't fancy a run - I can stay indoors instead!! 1 minute cardio, 2 minutes strength training, 1 minute rest etc for a total of 40 minutes plus a bit of a stretch at the end. There are some great HIIT workouts from FitnessBlender on youtube!
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a mix personally. Use the energy to lift and do some cardio, half and half. I wouldn't eat under your calorie the day before/after though, keep it at the minimum but that's just my 2 cents :)