Any MALES -even Females gaining Muscle?

Options
JayDavila
JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
Hello MFP's

I have gotten so much help from everyone when I started on my weight loss goal and appreciate every single bit of it. Now that I am looking to go in the direction of properly bulking/ gaining muscle it's a little harder for me to find consistent information from the male point of view. Now dont get me wrong I welcome any female support on the situation as well.

Goal:
I am looking to add muscle to my 5-7 frame, currently @ 168lbs.
The hard part is I also need to slim down my BMI/BF as I also want AB definition (I know that lies more in my nutrition) I could use help in the area of finding which AB workouts really work and which are a waste of time compared to others.

I also bounce around through the following supplements:
-Optimum Nutrition ( 100% Whey, Creatine, Serious Mass )
-Cellucor ( C4 pre-workout, Creatine, P6 Testosterone, Whey. )
-Isopure (WHEY)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance everyone.

Please send Friend Request as well.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you simply continue lifting on a caloric deficit, it's going to be nearly impossible for you to pack on significant muscle given your stats. One option is to go through traditional cutting/bulking phases, and which you do first would probably depend on where you're at with your lifts and what your short term goals look like (do you want gains or visible abs over the next few months). On the other hand, try something like a recomp or calorie cycling where you eat a caloric surplus on lifting days and a caloric deficit on off days (say +10% and -10% TDEE, respectively). Gains on such a program will be slower but, if done properly, it should allow you to make gains while not packing on the extra body fat you'd see in a traditional bulk.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    If you simply continue lifting on a caloric deficit, it's going to be nearly impossible for you to pack on significant muscle given your stats. One option is to go through traditional cutting/bulking phases, and which you do first would probably depend on where you're at with your lifts and what your short term goals look like (do you want gains or visible abs over the next few months). On the other hand, try something like a recomp or calorie cycling where you eat a caloric surplus on lifting days and a caloric deficit on off days (say +10% and -10% TDEE, respectively). Gains on such a program will be slower but, if done properly, it should allow you to make gains while not packing on the extra body fat you'd see in a traditional bulk.

Thank you, I think that's part of my problem. Wanting both ends of the spectrum at the same time. Gotta sit and figure out which way to start without it being a waste to the other. (If that makes sense)
    Your suggestions of calorie cycling sounds like the way to go. Very interested in that. Adjusting my intake should be fun.. Im so picky with food and allergic to what most people eat on a daily basis.
    Definitely need to figure out my nutrition
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

^^^ Good advice

I can relate...gaining muscle = gaining weight, which can be hard to accept mentally after successfully losing weight. If it's muscle you want then it's muscle you should go after.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I just get so caught up on a specific "LOOK" i'm trying to achieve. I was also going about it incorrectly,. Its not the loss of weight I need- its the loss of BF% So i'll have to adjust my diet a lot more like mentioned above on lift and cardio days. That should help. Plus I am sure i'd see more result if I took my cardio more seriously as well.
  • jewelsmarchesi
    Options
    My husband was an all natural ametuer body builder competitor. He also had problems gaining mass. He would eat oatmeal, tuna mixed with applesauce or plain vanilla yogurt, homemade roasted turkey breast (3x a week!) kidney beans, protien shakes and some sort of mass gainer. Back then he used water to mix the shakes, now he uses almond milk.
    He placed 1st in NJ masters in 1997.
    Workouts were relentless, and he was always feeding the muscles with carbs (good) and protien.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    lee-priest-1.jpg

Is that in the same year?