How Do You Parents Of Young Kids Do It?

Options
124»

Replies

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am at home so I get to work out during nap times but there are mornings my husband and I put our 3 year old and 19 month old in the joggers and go for runs. I have worked out at night if nap time does not go as planned. As for eating, I actually was feeding my kids way better than I ever ate. No soda and juice, only the occasional piece of candy or sweets. Now I am trying to eat more like I have been feeding them. They love fruit so it is always an easy sell. Recenty my three year old has started asking for dessert. Sometimes she can have a cookie, other times I will make them so meYonanas or fruit cups with a little whipped cream. I have not cut everything out of my diet, I am just learning to eat everything in moderation.

My husband is a bit harder because he does not eat any fruits and vegetables (unless you count a potato). He still eats what I cook, just bigger portions of meat and potatoes, which works out great for me because it forces me to have smaller portions of that stuff.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You have to make YOU a priority. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I take 30-60 minutes 5 or 6 times a week and leave my family and go to the gym and workout. My husband is 10000% supportive. Sure, it's an hour less with them but it's 30+ YEARS more with them in the long run.

Also, as far as the food, you need to meal plan. Sit down every Sunday and figure out what you're making for dinners for the whole week and LOG THEM INTO MFP ahead of time so it's done. Enter your recipes and they will be there when you need them.
    I almost always pack and log my lunches the night before too after I put the kids to bed and breakfast/snacks are whatever sounds good during the day.

You can do this. It takes planning, but honestly, it takes way less than you might think. Once you start, it just becomes a way of life.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I cook three diff meals for my hubby, my daughter and I. For myself, I make it simple, whole foods. Don't get something easy and processed. Get lean turkey and lettuce for rollups, fruit, nuts, greek yogurt. The easier the better. For my hubby and daughter, I have to make do, alas, and I ask for his help if I'm overwhelmed or in a rush. You have to make time for yourself otherwise you won't be around for your family.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just do it. I'm a working single mom and it's no harder for me than for anyone else. I make healthy meals, weigh and measure everything, and eat appropriate portions. Occasionally, if I've planned something I know my son doesn't like, or is too low-carb or low-cal for him, I'll make him something else and/or give him extras on his plate.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and a FT job (though my kids are a little older). I plan our meals for the whole month in one sitting, then shop each week and cook 6 meals. I use my crockpot a lot, I keep meals simple, I prep or cook on the weekends whenever possible.

I get up at 5 M/W/F and hit the gym for an hour before the kids are all up (and DH gets them started in their AM routines).
    This requires going to bed earlier than I would like - so less tv/internet/reading/chatting with DH).

I try to keep temptation out of the house (few chips, cookies, candy, whatever your trigger might be). I prelog as much as I can the day before to make sure I am on the right track for the day.

Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have weights in my garage and work out at night time.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My boys (just turned 7 and 8) and husband and I all love eating healthy food. We have eggs, oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, normally sandwiches or leftovers for lunch, and grill chicken or fish and veggies almost every night- or I'll cook something healthy in the kitchen. We all go to the park and throw the football around and take bike rides together most days of the week.

You just have to change your lifestyle and the small choices you make with your family every day. Get workout DVDs and do them early morning or after the kids go to bed! You'd be suprised what a good 30-min video can do for your body.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    One huge thing, especially in terms of diet, is limit what is brought into the house. You can't eat high fat, high calorie foods if they simply aren't there. We always have tons of fresh veggies to eat and my husband won't touch them, leaving me and my daughter with loads of fruits and veggies. Which is good because we HAVE to eat them so we don't waste money and throw them away.

I rarely make nice meals - maybe on the weekend when I have an hour to do meals - and that's because I love it. Otherwise everything is quick and easy.

When my daughter was first born, up through the age of 5, I was a single mom, working full time, and going to school full time. I started walking on Sundays when I just had more time and would walk on a treadmill for 99 minutes (TM limit) and eventually worked up from there. Once I got more into it I was doing workouts at night after she went to bed.

Now, even though my daughter is 7 and I could workout at night, I prefer to spend that time with her and my husband. I still usually wake up at 5:00am to head to the gym, or sometimes just do videos at home...especially when i'm pressed for time. One or two times I've fallen back asleep and woke up with 30 minutes to spare. Instead of sleeping in I got on Youtube and found a 30 minute workout video. I do sometimes run on lunch when teh weather is perfect. I'm in school now for a career change and just finished a round of clinicals that required me to be there at 5:00am and shifted my schedule in various ways. Sometimes I knew I woudln't get a workout in so at work I would get up and climb the stairs a few times a day and then be active with my daughter at night and be strict with what I eat.

You can also do 10 minute spurts in the morning and at night of High intensity training. You have ten minutes for sure :)

Everyone has fantastic ideas but the same thing doesn't work for everyone.

I also am a huge snacker. I probably always will be and honestly I'm fine with it. I tend to eat smaller meals and lots of snacks. I found snacks I love - Airpop popcorn (You can get a TON for little calories) and cucumbers with hot sauce are my absolute favorites. It definitely helps me to know that I can eat and the better I eat the more I can eat.

Good luck. But don't make excuses :) Everyone has time - you just have to make it. Start small.
  • bfpower
    bfpower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's a teamwork thing. We have four kids, I have a career plus two part time gigs. Planning and teamwork. Avoid convenience foods and cafeteria food; make lots of nutritious food and freeze/prepackage it. Consider a gym with child care or kids' swimming lessons so you can take the little one(s). Make working out a family affair and you're more likely to keep doing it.

I've been doing it for a year. t's worth it since I'm a better person when I'm working out. And honestly, I'm not doing them any favors if I die of heart disease.

And I'm sure your SO isn't going to mind you being in better shape. You'll be happier and that means she/he will be happier.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sorry but in my experience it is MUCH easier to make time for myself now that they are in middle and high school.
    I bet! Usually 10 yr olds kids do not keep mantaing "up,up,up" and scream if their mom won't pick them up in that second ;)

Nope, but the 14 year old has the phrase "Can you buy me this?" on automatic repeat.

Some things get easier, some things get harder, but it certainly helps you have time to exercise when they start wanting to be alone, or with their friends, or at after school activities.