When do you give into your cravings?

Options
momofGD
momofGD Posts: 110 Member
Just curious as to when you give into your cravings? I am craving carbs (bread based carbs) today...hardcore.

Replies

• LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself from my cravings just in moderation and lower fat items has work so far as I have lost over 72 lbs
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    If it fits in your calories for the day go for it! No reason to deprive yourself just be smart and eat in moderation.
  • momofGD
    momofGD Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am almost at 70lbs lost (90 more to go). This is the work craving I have had thus far.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    yesterday.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry and craving a certain food, I'll try to eat a small portion of it or a "healthified" version.

If I'm not hungry and craving, I will not eat anything. Instead I try to do something to distract me from thinking about food, such as drinking a big glass of water or chewing gum or going for a walk.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I did today, wanted a big juicy bacon loaded cheeseburger. Got a Hardees Monster burger ate 1/4 of it and it cured my craving and I'm good to go. The key is to learn when you've had enough to cure the craving and not HAVE to have the whole thing. Mind you I have not purchased a cheeseburger or even eaten one from a fast food place in two years. And I've had other cravings that I give into, but again I just eat slowly and stop when the craving is gone.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am with you. The bread craving is DANGEROUS because eating bread, leads to eating more bread, and wanting more bread and bread is CRACK!

That being said. I go to Trader Joes and buy their sprouted grain bread. It is lower carb, higher fiber, satisfies without "triggering" and is the best thing I can do. And, occassionally, if it is really good, I will eat bread. With butter. And die and go to heaven.
  • AppleGrapeMSTK
    AppleGrapeMSTK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am with you. The bread craving is DANGEROUS because eating bread, leads to eating more bread, and wanting more bread and bread is CRACK!

This is absolutely true for me,too. I literally cannot give into a craving for bread/potatoes/rice/starchy carbs. If I do, I end up bingeing. The last three times I ate bread, I ate 2500+ calories over my goal for the day. I have no off button with breads. More power to those who can give in just a little! The worst is that I only crave these foods when I feel blue.

If I am craving something, I'll eat a little peanut butter. It satisfies my sweet/salty/filling tooth. that I can have just a little of and be good. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts on this.

1...I give in to my cravings several times a week. If we planned to eat salmon & broccoli for dinner but I'm yearning all afternoon for bread and cheese then I'll make individual pizzas on reasonably sized pieces of whole grain French bread, HEAVY on the vegetables, light on sauce & cheese. Or if I'm craving chocolate I will have a few chocolate chips and some nuts, stuff like that.

2...More serious cravings get the time test from me. I hadn't thought of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food in years, and somehow it came up in conversation and I could not stop thinking about it (on and off, of course) for nearly a week! So finally, went and got some. My husband and I demolished the pint but it took us over 3 days and we were very careful with logging and portion size. But I'm not gonna never eat Phish Food again...some of these other posts are blowing my mind. I like burgers. I will eat one occasionally and I will NOT throw 3/4 away...wat!?! I guess we're all different.

Basically...I'd love to have dinner every night at a Thai restaurant followed up with a Cadbury crème egg. But I'm gonna have that monthly or every few weeks instead ;-)
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The truth is that none of us can eat what we want and when we want. Otherwise, we wouldn't be trying to lose weight.

Personally, I only eat foods I'm craving for in small portions. Control is not easy BUT you do get used to it eventually because the desire for weight loss and weight maintenance outweighs the desire for the food itself. This is me anyway.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yes, we're all different----My Good Friend is the one who ate one quarter cheeseburger and tossed the other three quarters and I am so proud of her and the amount of weight she has lost --- i really wish you'd delete that part of your comment " SeltzerMint" :

2...some of these other posts are blowing my mind. I like burgers. I will eat one occasionally and I will NOT throw 3/4 away...wat!?! I guess we're all different.
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Once each 3 months'ish I have a sweets crave , almost like a timer =) , I always like to stuff myself with whatever I feel like it that day , I also have "regular" cheat meals/days (can vary) each week or two...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't usually give in to cravings because I have my day pre-logged, (with my daily ice cream and all the other food I enjoy) so that I know I will meet my calorie/macro/micro and fiber goals. It's easier to say no to a morning donut if I know I have a nice dessert planned that evening.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yes, we're all different----My Good Friend is the one who ate one quarter cheeseburger and tossed the other three quarters and I am so proud of her and the amount of weight she has lost --- i really wish you'd delete that part of your comment " SeltzerMint" :

2...some of these other posts are blowing my mind. I like burgers. I will eat one occasionally and I will NOT throw 3/4 away...wat!?! I guess we're all different.

LOL sorry but no way. I'm aghast at that wastefulness. I don't think your friend is a bad person. I think we are all just different in our view of things :-)