Favorite breakfast shake / meal replacements?

Options
So one reason I fail is because my plan always calls for me to FIX something for breakfast and lunch. I don't do that - I am just too busy trying to get out of the house and then I normally have to work through lunch so there is no time.

When I was most successful in my weight loss journey it was when I was doing a weight loss shake for breakfast, fruit for a AM, snack, Meal Replacement Bar for lunch, nuts for afternoon snack, and then a nice big meal at dinner, plus healthy desert (smart ones).

#1 - please don't give negative feedback on the meal plan. I know it's not anywhere near perfect but it's what works for me!

#2 - what are your favorite meal replacement shakes, snack bars, etc?

Replies

• lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love the Zone Perfect bars, but I use them only sparingly.
    They taste great! However, they are processed - and I'm hoping to get more dedicated to eating less processed foods as I just started a more low carb plan.
    Simple Truth also makes a great protein bar and free from 100 artificial ingredients!
  • sillinursewv
    sillinursewv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lara bars are just fruit and nuts, gluten free
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement bars that are low in calories and actually taste good Kind Bars, Luna
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It takes about 2 minutes for me too cook up a couple of eggs in the morning. I scramble or do over easy. A tiny sprinkle of shredded cheddar and a drizzle of Sriracha. YUM.

Seriously, I also sometimes cook up an egg/meat/veg scramble on the weekends and portion it out for weekday breakfasts. Planning ahead like that gives you some better options than going with the meal replacements daily.

I commute an hour each way to work so I understand the need to get out the door, but I need to eat food. I find that the meal replacements which are generally only around 200 calories don't fill me up for more than an hour.
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    I plan on trying Shakeology soon. I've tried the chocolate one before. It takes a little getting used to, but if you look at the ingredients it's pretty impressive. No chemicals, just a lot of good stuff and superfoods. My coworker says the greenberry flavor is pretty good too.
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    Yeah - I can cook something quick in morning for breakfast (done it before) but I don't want too - I have better things to do like trying to wake up, watching news, get dressed, brushing teeth, etc.

I hear you about making things in advance but I don't eat leftovers so that would not work for me. Don't know why - just hate them even through they typically taste better than the original meal.

We do cook healthy at night (FRESH 20 PLAN) -- all produce and protein - no canned or frozen stuff.

Honestly - I even have microwavable soups at work for lunch but don't feel like warming them up - takes too long (1:45). I need something I can just crack open or unwrap and eat. No work involved or I won't do it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I can cook something quick in morning for breakfast (done it before) but I don't want too - I have better things to do like trying to wake up, watching news, get dressed, brushing teeth, etc.

Jeez, thanks for making me feel like my priorities are wrong in the morning. Sigh.

For the record, I do get dressed and brush my teeth.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Jeez, thanks for making me feel like my priorities are wrong in the morning. Sigh.

For the record, I do get dressed and brush my teeth.

LOL, I don't do either until I have had breakfast!
  • fiercelittlebird
    fiercelittlebird Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like the new lifestyle diet shakes and bars. A little expensive but don't taste bad at all. I used them successfully to lose quite a bit of weight awhile back.
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Herbalife shakes for breakfast. From what I hear they are close in comparison with Shakeology. The shake by itself is very bland, but I blend it up with the Dole frozen fruit blends (they cost about 2 to 3 dollars at Walmart) and silk vanilla milk. Its amazing how yummy it makes them. It takes me less than 5 minutes to blend it up in the morning and head out the door. They also have lots of different flavors you can try.

I've only tried the pre-made meal replacements shakes once and I couldn't get over how thick and chalky it tasted so I've never been a fan of them.
  • calsgirl18
    Options
    GNC Total Lean Orange Cream! I love it!!!!! Mix it with fruit and you got yourself a tasty treat. I drink it sometimes for breakfast and lunch
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    You need to try the Lean 1 shakes!!!!
    Shakeology dupe!!
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I hear you about making things in advance but I don't eat leftovers so that would not work for me. Don't know why - just hate them even through they typically taste better than the original meal.

We do cook healthy at night (FRESH 20 PLAN) -- all produce and protein - no canned or frozen stuff.

Honestly - I even have microwavable soups at work for lunch but don't feel like warming them up - takes too long (1:45). I need something I can just crack open or unwrap and eat. No work involved or I won't do it.

Okay, I'm just going to be real. You sound like you are determined to fail. You have an excuse for everything. You are unwilling to put even small amounts of effort or time into anything.

Fruit and yogurt or a meal bar work. But I'm not sure peeling an orange won't be too much work for you.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are really good, tons of flavors. Ideal for "CLEAN EATING"

They can be cut into bite size pieces baked for a couple mins and they come out in cookie form. who does like cookies?
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't feel well if I eat breakfast too early in the morning--I do eat mine once I get to work. Typically that means either a Greek Yogurt or a Quest bar.

I understand how frustrating it can be to make these life changes--some days heating soup feels like too much work for me, too. I'm always amazed with the difference in how I feel, though, when I do eat well. There's nothing wrong with eating lighter meals, but try to make them as wholesome as possible.

When you're making your dinner at night (or clearing the dishes) can you throw a sandwich or something together for lunch? My sister says that works best for her.

Good luck!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. They taste pretty good cold.

Mix yogurt, oatmeal, protein powder, nut butter, fruit, chocolate chips, pudding mix, spices, whatever you want, with milk or water in a bowl. You can eat it immediately but it gets a better consistency when you let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours.
  • RandaRae16
    RandaRae16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shakeology from Team Beachbody.com is the best breakfast shake out there. They have vegan and non-vegan formulas and tons of recipe ideas. Vanilla with frozen berries, chocolate with peanut butter - delicious!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own smoothies (banana, frozen fruit, yogurt, milk or juice for liquid, and I like to add spinach for extra greens since you can't taste it and chia seed, flax seed, wheat germ). If you have a magic bullet or similar, you can get everything ready in the cup the night before and put it in the fridge, hit the blender in the morning then bring the cup on the way out the door. It's quick and simple!

Or I'll do a make-ahead yogurt/cold oats parfaits (like this sorta: http://iowagirleats.com/2013/01/15/make-ahead-fruit-yogurt-breakfast-parfaits/). The night before I'll add yogurt, frozen fruit, milk, and I use steel-cut oats, and sometimes chia seeds for extra bulk. Then in the morning you just stir them then eat. I make in a mason jar so I can bring them to work and eat at my desk while my computer loads, or you can eat while sitting and watching the news. Using raspberries and some vanilla extract with vanilla yogurt is delicious and they aren't a lot of work the night before and are easy to grab and go.

IMO, real foods are always better than processed foods, no matter how "healthy" the processed foods claim to be. Both of these take just a couple minutes to make and are very portable so you can eat and walk around the house to finish getting ready for work or eat while commuting.
  • Hjdavenport
    Options
    I agree with calsgirl, I love the GNC Total Lean drinks. I have one for breakfast every morning. Strawberry and vanilla are my two favorite flavors, but I have never tried orange cream..it soudns pretty amazing.

As far as bars, Quest White Chocolate Raspberry protein bars are my favorite!
  • cmwc123
    cmwc123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Okay, I'm just going to be real. You sound like you are determined to fail. You have an excuse for everything. You are unwilling to put even small amounts of effort or time into anything.

Fruit and yogurt or a meal bar work. But I'm not sure peeling an orange won't be too much work for you.

completely agree. it's a lifestyle change to be successful!