I have lower stomach fat even though I'm thin??

Options

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Greatly reduce your simple carbs and do it for a very long time with cardio. Simple carbs, fruits send the fat right to your belly.
  • tidychris
    Options
    I can't believe people are telling a school girl who is medically underweight and exercises 5 times a week with a low calorie intake to reduce carbs and fruit and increase cardio !. She may lose the very last bit of body fat on her tummy but may also damage her heart, fertility, bones, skin, hair and digestion at this vital development stage in a young womans body. If you are medically overweight then fine reduce carbs or calories, (the idea that specifically eating fruit puts fat on your belly is BS!!). If you are underweight eat a healthy balanced diet, don't be cutting out vital food groups that provide you with energy and vitamins. Speak to a personal trainer and or dietitian look at healthy ways to increase your calorie intake with the right food groups and an exercise regieme that will help you build muscle and keep you fit.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are telling a school girl who is medically underweight and exercises 5 times a week with a low calorie intake to reduce carbs and fruit and increase cardio !. She may lose the very last bit of body fat on her tummy but may also damage her heart, fertility, bones, skin, hair and digestion at this vital development stage in a young womans body. If you are medically overweight then fine reduce carbs or calories, (the idea that specifically eating fruit puts fat on your belly is BS!!). If you are underweight eat a healthy balanced diet, don't be cutting out vital food groups that provide you with energy and vitamins. Speak to a personal trainer and or dietitian look at healthy ways to increase your calorie intake with the right food groups and an exercise regieme that will help you build muscle and keep you fit.

I agree. Clearly most of the people that replied didn't read the OP, just the thread title. Or at least I hope that was the case. I'd hate to think people here want an underweight girl to cut calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing a lot of sit-ups/ crunches everyday

this is ridiculous. You can't lose fat in one specific area by working those muscles with situps. OP is not eating enough . She needs to eat a surplus of calories, preferably protein, and start heavy lfiting to increase her muscle mass. Increased muscle mass will change her form and make her belly look flatter (if there is even noticeable fat there, which I kind of doubt).
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Greatly reduce your simple carbs and do it for a very long time with cardio. Simple carbs, fruits send the fat right to your belly.
    this makes no sense. Cardio, as the name implies, is for cardiac fitness (heart working more efficiently). She's already exercising a lot, and not eating enough, so your recommendation to eat less is dangerous.
  • jessicaebixby
    jessicaebixby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Recently went to a health class at the local extension service. The belly fat your talking about is the hardest to loose. The plus side is it's less hazardous to your health than had it been higher.

I know it's hard but don't focus on reducing the belly fat. Focus on small healthy lifestyle changes that can make you healthier than you are now. It will come down it just takes patience & work. By being focused on the one area people tend to quite due to lack of results they want.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    This is a really good post as I have the same issue and have been very frustrated same as yourself:sad:. I do try to keep to my 1200 kals a day and have lost 4 kilos since November; however the puff of fat under the navel is not going away. In order to lose the weight along with the dieting I did lots of cardio however just recently started with weights which may have been a mistake according to many of the answers to your post.

My fitness trainer did include 30 to 45 minutes of Cardio minimum 3 times a week along with weights so
    I am a bit surprised that so many posters feel that you are doing too much cardio. My trainer did criticize the fact that
    I did not do the weights as recommended but he thought that cardio exercise is just as important for fat lost. The opinion here seems to be different?

I do hope that many more people will post as I am also curious. if my new plan gets rid of the fat puff I will definitely post.

hope things get better.

Cardio can help create a bigger deficit which will lead to fat loss, but the OP stated that she is UNDERWEIGHT. Hence, the suggestion for more calories and strength training, less cardio.

x1000. I hate seeing people rag on cardio so much. No it isn't neccesary, yes, it does help.:smile:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    This is a really good post as I have the same issue and have been very frustrated same as yourself:sad:. I do try to keep to my 1200 kals a day and have lost 4 kilos since November; however the puff of fat under the navel is not going away. In order to lose the weight along with the dieting I did lots of cardio however just recently started with weights which may have been a mistake according to many of the answers to your post.

My fitness trainer did include 30 to 45 minutes of Cardio minimum 3 times a week along with weights so
    I am a bit surprised that so many posters feel that you are doing too much cardio. My trainer did criticize the fact that
    I did not do the weights as recommended but he thought that cardio exercise is just as important for fat lost. The opinion here seems to be different?

I do hope that many more people will post as I am also curious. if my new plan gets rid of the fat puff I will definitely post.

hope things get better.

Cardio can help create a bigger deficit which will lead to fat loss, but the OP stated that she is UNDERWEIGHT. Hence, the suggestion for more calories and strength training, less cardio.

x1000. I hate seeing people rag on cardio so much. No it isn't neccesary, yes, it does help.:smile:

cardio is very good for improved cardiac fitness and efficiency, and can help with creating a calorie deficit. However, it is just one piece in an intricate puzzle, and increasing cardio will not help with OP's current question of trying to lose a bit of belly fat, especially if she's already undereating.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    google 'fupa exercises' yes its called a fupa. no i didnt make it up

You can't spot reduce with exercise.

OP, a little bit of tummy there is considered sexy. But if you desire change, drop or decrease the cardio and hit the weights. Increase your protein to at least 1g/lb of lean body mass.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

hope things get better.

cardio is very good for improved cardiac fitness and efficiency, and can help with creating a calorie deficit. However, it is just one piece in an intricate puzzle, and increasing cardio will not help with OP's current question of trying to lose a bit of belly fat, especially if she's already undereating.

Wasn't specifically talking about the OP's situation. Just in general.
  • Millahs26
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying.
    By full body strenght i mean a workout like this:
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/92/38/34/923834691ecc6033fd2d2f7414af9e5d.jpg
    Abs:
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/e0/80/6de080c9ee149f884138151437d31c7d.jpg
    Arms:
    - Bicep curls
    - Tricep dips
    etc.

So here's what I have to do to lose the weight:
    - Eat more (preferably protein)
    - Less cardio and more strenght (lifting heavy weights with low reps)

Am I right? :)
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying.
    By full body strenght i mean a workout like this:
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/92/38/34/923834691ecc6033fd2d2f7414af9e5d.jpg
    Abs:
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/e0/80/6de080c9ee149f884138151437d31c7d.jpg
    Arms:
    - Bicep curls
    - Tricep dips
    etc.

So here's what I have to do to lose the weight:
    - Eat more (preferably protein)
    - Less cardio and more strenght (lifting heavy weights with low reps)

Am I right? :)
    Exactly!
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Good grief.

Women and men, though vastly different physiologically speaking, should perform the same workout.

Just because you're a woman doesn't mean you have to engage in these insane "boot camp" style workouts.

Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, dumbbell press, crunches, whatever.

Do it all.

You will never catch me doing a "mountain climber" or any of those PT inspired movements. They are a waste of energy, imho
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Good grief.

Women and men, though vastly different physiologically speaking, should perform the same workout.

Just because you're a woman doesn't mean you have to engage in these insane "boot camp" style workouts.

Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, dumbbell press, crunches, whatever.

Do it all.

You will never catch me doing a "mountain climber" or any of those PT inspired movements. They are a waste of energy, imho

My answer of 'exactly" was to her comment of needing to eat more protein and calories, do less cardio and more heavy lifting.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, I cant believe people are even using the word "fat" when replying to an under weight school girl....
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I agree. Clearly most of the people that replied didn't read the OP, just the thread title. Or at least I hope that was the case. I'd hate to think people here want an underweight girl to cut calories.

Totally agree, I cant believe people are even using the word "fat" when replying to an under weight school girl....
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    OP, in case you're getting confused by the good advice you're getting above, here it is:

1. Eat more calories by adding protein and fat.

2. Strength training.

3. Do this over a period of time to see results.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Then that's the last place you still have body fat and when you lower your body fat even more that will be gone. You can just eat less fat and diet down to that point. Or you can alter your fat to muscle ratio by increasing your muscle mass. I think there's a way to do that. Might wanna ask around.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Then that's the last place you still have body fat and when you lower your body fat even more that will be gone. You can just eat less fat and diet down to that point. Or you can alter your fat to muscle ratio by increasing your muscle mass. I think there's a way to do that. Might wanna ask around.

Did you even read the OP? :huh:
  • ErikTee
    ErikTee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Brad that's interesting. About 5 years ago I was on the Tom Venuto BFFM kick... I was in a simple caloric deficit and I was doing well... I found that I had to seriously lose weight before my love handles and belly were affected... I was also on some OPC-3's and other vascular enhancing vitamins(Which I haven't taken in about 2 years) and I didn't think they were that important... But now that you bring up blood-flow it makes perfect sense that those were my most successful fat burning days... My blood flow was great, I had popping veins and could easily tell it was improved.

The problem is that for me losing weight meant looking gaunt and a little sickly to be honest. I would frequently be told that I was too skinny and that I had taken it too far... But I was eating and I was working out and I felt great. I went from 22% BF to 14% but I was 173 pounds and 6'1...

So the lesson here is to just stick with your dieting and training and perhaps try to enhance your vascular system to enhance your fat burning.

Thanks!