best time to workout

Options
2»

Replies

• StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    Any time you want to/ can!

I prefer working out in the morning before my classes... I hate getting up any earlier than I already have to, but I feel fantastic once I'm done and lord knows I won't want to go if I put it off throughout the day.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Best time for me is in the morning before work. I hate getting up early, but history has shown that I won't go after I get home from work:

I'm too tired...
    I want to sit on my butt, watch TV, and eat dinner...
    I don't want to shower again...
    My gym gets crowded later in the day...
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Whenever works best for you, your lifestyle and your energy levels. Personally, I like working out in the afternoon, but my gym's daycare hours are 9-1 and 4-8, so I go mid-morning, and I'm starting to like it. I definitely like it better than going at 4 or 5 when it starts getting crowded!

Bottom line is, the best time is whenever works best for you and you can get a kickass workout done :)
  • nwurker
    nwurker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    some people have difficulty falling asleep if the work out at night but I am NOT one of them
    For me Iprefer to work out rightafter work. It's a great transition. Also,post injuries I am a lot stiffer inthe morning so it take me more to get going.
    It really doesn't matter whenvyou do it as long as you find a time that doesn't cause you additional stress.
  • stephs712
    Options
    I prefer evenings. I don't look at it as exercise, I look at it as 'me' time. It's a nice way for me to close the day.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tried immediately after work for a month and found that I had too many other commitments in terms of my work (small town newspaper) to be consistent.
    I cover a lot of things at night, so that doesn't work either.
    I get up at 5:45 a.m. and meet a workout buddy. Having someone that I know is there gives me more motivation than I might have otherwise. We are good enough friends that we can bust each other's chops, and often do.

But as so many others have said, the best time is the time that you can DO IT!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can! I've found that the best time for me is around 6pm right after work (and before eating dinner). I am NOT a morning person and I will keep snoozing for sure. I also like to workout after work because I've been sitting on my butt at a desk all day and the last thing I want to do is go home and sit around.

I do Insanity at home, so I change into my workout clothes and turn on the DVD as soon as I get home. After my workout, I make/eat dinner and relax til bedtime. This might not work if I had kids or other after-work commitments so you need to do whatever works :)
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Whenever you get it done!

The worst time is "soon"

THIS: :happy:
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In the morning! It gives me energy for the rest of the day, doesn't get in the way of my family time, and the gyms are less packed.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Because of my crazy work schedule and long commute, I prefer evenings. I already have to get up at the crack of dawn just to get out of the house on time, not sure I want to get up any earlier than I already do to get in exercise.

I'm usually at the gym from 7pm til 8-8:30pm, I find that my evening sessions are great for working out all the stresses of the day!

On the weekends I like to go in the mornings so that I have the rest of the day to do whatever I want or need to do.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When you have time and when suits you. BUT plan ahead and know when you're going to work out otherwise it just won't happen. I work out mid-morning on the weekend when I can have a lie-in (before work would kill me) and between work and dinner in the evening during the week.

Have contingency plans too - if I have an unexpected invite after work, I have training shoes and deodorant in my work desk drawer so I can go for a power walk at lunchtime. If I get back form work late and eat dinner straight away, I have an exercise bike so I can get a non-jiggly workout in on a full stomach!

If the worst comes to the worst, I will get up early, but it's torture!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Anytime!
  • stevecarve01
    Options
    I think early morning is the best time for workout. The studies also shows the benefits of early morning workout.
  • creativehi
    Options
    I would also go with Stevecarve01, thanks Steve.Early in the morning empty stomach is the best time for work out. Search the benefits of early morning .Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy n ........