Eating low carb vs Tracking calories???

Options
Hi - I've been following a low carb, high protein/fat diet for about 6 weeks now.

It's working and have lost 1.5 stones :)

However, I original understanding is that I just keep my carbs to 20g per day (I'd up that overtime of course)...but I've more recently trying to keep my calories to what MFP shows, currently 1450.

So am i doing this right, am i simply supposed to keep carbs low, or keep cals to target? or is it simply both?

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It's both. Low carb diets and being in a state of ketosis don't change the fact that your body burns calories and where your body pulls those calories from (e.g, food or fat stores). I've seen studies that seem to suggest ketosis and LCHF diets don't offer any sort of metabolic advantage, while others suggest you do see a slight metabolic advantage on a LCHF diet on the order of 200-300 calories. Whichever is true, the fact remains that calories still matter.

At the most basic level, think of a LCHF this way.

1. Hit your protein macro every day (0.65g/lb of LBM if you are sedentary, 0.85g/lb of LBM if you do resistance training)
    2. Keep carbs low
    3. Get your remaining calories from fats
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've been following a low carb, high protein/fat diet for about 6 weeks now.

It's working and have lost 1.5 stones :)

However, I original understanding is that I just keep my carbs to 20g per day (I'd up that overtime of course)...but I've more recently trying to keep my calories to what MFP shows, currently 1450.

So am i doing this right, am i simply supposed to keep carbs low, or keep cals to target? or is it simply both?

If your goal is weight loss then you need to be in a calorie deficit. It doesnt matter what diet protocol you use. Eating low carb but over eating will still result in a lack of weight loss. Carbs do not cause weight gain any more than fat or protein. It is eating too many calories that causes weight gain.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea. Many of us use a low carb approach to calorie restriction. A diet that consists of higher protein and fat foods is felt to be more satisfying and an aid to restricting one's calories. That being said, it isn't for everyone, but it works for a lot of folks - especially when starting out.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The three comments (so far) are all ones I agree with. One point made in Phinney/Volek's book on The Art and Science of Low Carb Nutrition is that everyone is different in their ability to consume carbs while still losing weight. The 20g is generally the low end of the starting point with 40/50 net carbs being the next level. [Net carbs = total carbs - fiber]. I find that on a LCHF diet I simply don't eat as many calories as MFP budgets as I am not as hungry as I was on a higher carb/low fat diet. For me, the "magic" number seems to be around 30-35 net carbs but YMMV.