BMR question/help

Options
Hi, I just calculated my BMR and it says 1151cal/day. If I'm currently not working out at all, how many calories do I consume a day? I'm confused by this number. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    BMR stands for basal metabolic rate, so basically it is the calories it takes your body just to be alive. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) it another number you should look into. That is how many calories you burn in a day because I assume you move around and work and walk and talk and are not in a coma :happy: . Most professionals reccomend you eat at least your BMR daily. You can cut some off of your TDEE to lose weight. Increasing exercise will increase your TDEE and allow you to create a greater calorie deficit without getting below your BMR.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also for more information on these fattofitradio.com or http://scoobysworkshop.com/ are good sites and this is also a good post on MFP that I found very educational http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If I'm currently not working out at all, how many calories do I consume a day?

BMR x 1.2

Why don't you just put your information into MFP and eat what it tells you to?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If I'm currently not working out at all, how many calories do I consume a day?

Why don't you just put your information into MFP and eat what it tells you to?

^ This, as long as you eat <BMRx1.2 you will lose weight.

So at 1151 your maintenance would be 1381, assuming you are sedentary. If you are active then it would be higher, MFP will tell you 1200 calories as it wont go lower, that would result in about a 0.4lb/week weight loss. If you are more active (on your feel most of the day) and eat 1200 cals, you will probably lose somewhere between 0.5 and 1 lb/week which is very reasonable given the amount you are trying to lose.