Bored eating HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tea really helps! I love tea and if I'm hungry, when I know I'm not, I make a pot of green tea. I can drink that as is. It fills me up without adding calories.

I totally forgot about that until I just read it here again. Thanks!! I hope this helps you too!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have been a compulsive over eater since I was a teenager, so i agree with you. It's absolutely in the mind.
    [

quote]
    Everyone is going to suggest things for you to do. That all sounds great. The only thing that will help you get over this is to get over it. You are going to get bored at times and think about food no matter how much you don't want to. It's part of why we so many obese people. You will just have to learn to deal with it. Either make decision to eat something nutrient dense when you do eat out of being bored, or drink water at those times, or don't eat.

^^This.

While the suggestions being made on this thread are good strategies for eliminating *boredom*... I'd like to point out that boredom isn't actually the problem. Thus, these suggestions won't work in the long run.

This is because once the boredom is eliminated...the OP will just find another reason to eat.

And *that* is because emotional overeaters have spent years being reactionary and submissive to every "feeling" that courses through one's body. The reaction to strong feelings (of which boredom is one) is to eat. The submission is to the craving. It's an endless cycle of emotion - reaction - submission. This cycle must be broken.

The solution to bored (or sad, or angry, or happy, or xyz) eating is to finally learn to deal with your emotions in a healthy way. To stop abusing your body with food (in the false name of "comforting" oneself) every time you feel something uncomfortable. This takes hard work and self-awareness. There are many great books and resources out there that have lots of good programs for getting free from emotional eating. I'd suggest doing a google search and finding some and then working on your INNER world, as opposed to your outer.

Just two cents from a recovering compulsive, emotional overeater who has learned to manage her feelings and lose 70 lbs. Thanks!
    [/quote]