scared

Options
Hi! Im new to the mfp community, but not a stranger to weight loss! It took me about two years to get to where I am now, from 275 to 183. I cant believe im a size 10 again (im 5'1"). Problem is, I've been at the same weight for over 8 months now despite working out daily and tracking calories (ive used a private mfp account). And I am absolutely petrified to go by this "net calorie" thing. I feel like I have the slowest metabolism in the world, and 1400 calories seems very intimidating. My net calories usually wind up in the negatives. Clearly I am doing something wrong, and just need a little guidance!!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First, you have done REALLY WELL! Congratulations.

Second, have you re-adjusted your MFP settings with your new weight? If you don't, it will give you more calories than you need and your weight loss will stall. It is disappointing that weight loss is rewarded by taking away calories, but that's what you need. Every time I stalled, I put my numbers in again, recalculated, got new, lower calories, and my weight started going down again.

Second, I always use net calories, and as a middle aged woman, I also have a slower than average metabolism. I don't buy the 'up your calories, lose weight' thing I've heard here - I let MFP figure it for me. But I also know that when I eat close to my NET calories I lose consistently. Low nets - and negative ones are really bad - are not healthy.

Third, are you really measuring and reporting accurately? I can add hundreds of calories to a day by logging tiny things like a finger of whipped cream, some mayo or salad dressing, or a measured, not estimate amount of mashed potatoes. If you were really negative on net and accurately logged both your food and exercise, you would either have an unusual metabolic condition requiring a doctor or would be very sick from malnutrition.

Finally, check your carbs. If you were that heavy, you are probably insulin resistant. I have found that keeping my carbs under 35% (even 40%) is not hard to do and makes a huge difference in my weight loss.

Good luck!
  • danielleGTL
    Options
    Thanks for such a quick response!! I did in fact adjust the settings and will continue to do so as I *hopefully* continue to lose. So, in theory, is it safe to say that eating net calories without working out will result in fat loss? Same as eating back calories burned bringing me back to net?

My doctor prescribed me phentermine because he cant figure out why im stalled either. I obsessively track.

You know I studied nutrition in college and I still dont get it LOL
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your exercise routine. If you are doing the same thing as before your body will start to get used to that routine and you can stall out on weight loss. Change up the type and duration of exercise you are doing along with tracking your calories and see if that helps at all.
  • danielleGTL
    Options
    I guess I'm really going to try and zero in on the diet aspect.

EDIT: as per your suggestion I was tinking of trying circuits instead of elliptical all the time. We shall see..
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I found the book Why We Get Fat really helpful. There is a more technical version of it that you, as someone who studied nutrition, might like even better. It is written by the science editor of the NYTimes and the results are essentially consistent with recent studies and recommendations of the NIH.

Perhaps some of the research in there will give you some ideas.
  • danielleGTL
    Options
    Thanks!!! I totally saw that at the store too now ill def pick it up!! I get frustrated so easily sometimes and go to extreme measures when my results are lacking.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im new to the mfp community, but not a stranger to weight loss! It took me about two years to get to where I am now, from 275 to 183. I cant believe im a size 10 again (im 5'1"). Problem is, I've been at the same weight for over 8 months now despite working out daily and tracking calories (ive used a private mfp account). And I am absolutely petrified to go by this "net calorie" thing. I feel like I have the slowest metabolism in the world, and 1400 calories seems very intimidating. My net calories usually wind up in the negatives. Clearly I am doing something wrong, and just need a little guidance!!
    This is a perfect example of eating too little for too long - a metabolism that has slowed to match the low intake, stalled weight loss, and needing to eat less and less to see any "results".

Negative net calories = OUT OF FUEL! :noway: No reason to be afraid of eating the proper amount of calories and fueling your body. MFP works differently than many other sites. Your daily calorie goal already has a deficit built in - meaning you could eat TO GOAL, all the cals, every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. When you exercise and burn off more cals, you're left with a much larger deficit, too large, leading to the problems you are having now. This is why MFP adds those exercise cals back into your goal - you are supposed to eat them back, bringing your daily NET cals up to, or very close to, your daily goal.

If you've been eating with low or negative net calories for awhile, it may take some time and planning to repair your metabolism and get back to a healthier intake, and to get the weight loss moving again. Check out Eat More 2 Weigh Less - they have a group here at MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less and a website: http://eatmore2weighless.com/ Lots of great info, testimonials, and guidance on how to get back on track. Well worth reading through, and asking questions as needed - they are a helpful bunch!

Good luck!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The last time I lost weight I stalled for months. I was doing tons of cardio. A friend told me to take my measurements and add some strength training. I started to shrink like crazy, and after about six weeks the pounds started to drop.
  • danielleGTL
    Options
    You guys are awesome :)