Too Much Protein??

Options
Is there such a thing as too much protein - I am constantly going over in that area... is that bad?

Replies

• esmeylull
    Options
    Do you exercise? There is a thing as too much protein but I don't think it would hurt you if you eat a huge amount of eggs or meat, do not take extra protein shakes though. That is the point where it could be count as too much.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you're on the mfp protein % it's fairly low, used to be 15% but I think they've increased it to 25%.

Nothing to worry about. :happy:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP preset macros, the protein is set fairly low. I am always over. Not too much to be concerned over unless you have kidney or other health issues.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    From my research around here and some journals I understand that if you have no kidney condition, extra protein will really do nothing bad to you. Make sure you get enough of the other nutrients too though.

The RDA recommendations are on the low end, especially for someone who does strength training (not sure if you do). MFP sets it by RDA so if you haven't changed your macros in your goals, then going over that will likely not endanger you in any way.

I am a girl, 5'6, 140lbs, work out 5x a week and I routinely shoot for 140g of protein and up.

more information here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the pre set out protein limit set by MFP? If you are its set at a low rate anyway and you can eat considerably more. If you are physically active, the normal optimum rate for muscle growth is 1g of protein for every lbs of body weight. If your eating more then this My understanding is that your kidneys changes any excess protein it cannot use in to carbohydrates this does put some additional strain on your kidney but if you are a healthy adult and aren’t eating huge amounts of protein this should not be a problem
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The percentages aren't really important. Aim for 0.65g per pound of LEAN body mass (0.85g per pound of lean body mass if you're doing resistance training). Just don't fall into the trap of the 400 lb guy who uses the old rule of thumb 1g/lb and thinks he needs 400g of protein. He doesn't. :wink:

Anything beyond that really is not going to help most people (if you're juicing and/or an elite strength athlete, you may benefit from additional protein, but that's not most people). As others have said, eating a bit of extra protein shouldn't hurt you, unless you're eating way too much or already have kidney problems.