on medication & regular tests
  • twinmommy87
    twinmommy87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agree!!! Following :)
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I guess I would consider myself a success in the making! I was diagnosed hypothyroid 12 yrs ago and this past year I finally feel in control. SW: 234 (highest preggo weight 280) CW 180ish give or take a couple, height 5'9". There are some pictures in my profile if you choose to look
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I dont have any pictures posted but I have hypothyrodism also and I have managed to lose 71 pounds in the last year..I still have about 65 or 70 to go but I am 1/2 way there and I feel better than I have in years. Congrats to everyone who does post on here :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Have been on synthroid for 15 years. Photos are in my profile. :smile:
  • ndpotter10
    Options
    This is just what I needed! I have been off my synthroid for a couple of weeks now and I think it has really hindered my weight loss. However, I just refilled my prescription and am back on track! I'm hoping your success stories will help me from using my ailments as a crutch!
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump for more

hey guys do mention ur height , age, sw , cw and goal

u may give any tips aswell.
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Honestly as for tips, these are things that have helped me:
    1. Take medication regularly and get checked to make sure levels stay where they should
    2. Exercise, it makes me feel better and helps boost a slowed metabolism (HIIT, Running, Weights)
    3. Eat regularly, I eat 6 meals a day, and never skip breakfast
    4. I eat a lot more protein and fat and a lot less processed foods (maybe even lower glycemic foods)

p.s Yes I know everyone has differing opinions on meal timing, exercise and types of food to intake but this is what I find works best for me
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    SW 224
    CW 173
    GW 150

I haven't had any interference from my hypothyroidism. I get tested when my endo says, take my med 30-60 mins before breakfast, and that's all!
  • stephieb186
    Options
    Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Have been on synthroid for 15 years. Photos are in my profile. :smile:

OMG! I have the same exact thing and I take the same exact meds! I've never met anyone who has the same condition as me :flowerforyou:
    I always say I am an honorary Samuri because I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It sounds very Samuri(y). lol :drinker:
  • adslake
    adslake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Grave's Disease, so my hypothyroidism is a consequence of having Grave's - since my thyroid is now dead and the size of a walnut.

When I was young I was always at a healthy weight for my height without even trying, then it all went to crap when I quit college and got a real job :) Since I was diagnosed with Grave's 12 years ago, it has been an up and down ride for me - never really getting past around 175, so I am determined again. My endo thinks that would be an ideal weight for me, so if I get back to it and can't get past it then I guess it would be okay with me. For now, here we go again..

HW - over 270 - I was pregnant and that was my last weigh in 3 days before I delivered. I told everyone at the hospital I didn't want to know my exact weight at the time, seeing 270 was enough for me! On a side note, I was 235 when I was released - BEST one day weight loss ever for me :laugh:

CW-206
    GW-140-160

A few things I feel like I have learned over the years (on what actually works) is, as others have said - make sure you take your meds. Another thing I have noticed is go for the Synthroid brand name versus the generics. When I was on the generic my levels were always changing and I was constantly being adjusted. If you do a little research, the one I was on had been investigated previously by the FDA for producing inconsistent lots - aka the pills didn't actually have the level of meds they claimed they did. Once I switched back to the brand I have been at one level and only changed doses when I was pregnant.

The biggest thing for me is I will not lose weight without the exercise. It just won't happen. Doesn't matter what I eat, without the effort nothing comes off. I used to go back and forth on cardio, vs. a balanced plan with weights - and I think the balance is the best. I really believe building that muscle helps us thyroid folks the best. Just my two cents :smile:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have the whole metabolic thing going. Type 1 diabetic and hypo thyroid for years and taking medication for the thyroid and insulin. I've lost 110 pounds. Here's a link to my post with PICS.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1168527-110-lost-3-consecutive-years-on-mfp-today-pics
  • hwenzler
    hwenzler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's thyroiditis, insulin resistance, anemia, and low levels of Vitamin d. I've never had a problem losing weight while I'm taking my meds. I notice that I can gain weight at an alarming rate though. Make sure you take Synthriod instead of generic. My endo won't allow me to take the generic and I'm glad. The generic always makes my heart race and me to have issues breathing. I've been on meds for 6 yrs.

SW 278
    CW 181
    GW 160-155
    Height 5"7

It will be 2 years in April so it's taken awhile to lose 96 lbs but part of that is due to me not trying as hard. I no longer eat fried foods and try to limit my sweet intake. I work out 5x's a week and I have so much energy. Before I was working out, I was always sleepy. Now I’m always on the move. Take it one day at a time and don't let hypo issues convince you that you can't lose weight. You can do anything, it might just take longer.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If you know you have hypothyroidism, then you should be taking medication for it, being followed by a doctor to check your levels, and if your levels are in the normal range (w/rare exceptions), then you shouldn't have symptoms because you are no longer HYPOthyroidic. So there's no reason that losing weight should be a problem if your condition is being managed properly. Unless you have some other undiagnosed medical condition.

I have hypothyroidism & before I was diagnosed I did gain weight & have trouble losing. Once I got on the meds & they got my levels in a normal range, then no more symptoms. The only issue I have w/my weight now is related to how consistent I am w/my diet & exercise.

So please...no one w/hypothyroidism should be discouraged. If you treat it properly, then it's a non-issue.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just had my levels checked (again)! Hopefully once I get my results and start feeling normal I will be able to post a success story!!!!

Love this idea for a thread it's so easy to give up and give in!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    was on synthyroid and Cytomel for over 8 yrs... started eating better and working out... 2 yrs later... not on anything and my numbers are perfect.....

Not saying this will happen for everyone but I think I was one of those people who's doctor said well why not try meds, she is fat and claims she can't lose weight, cold all the time, dry hair nails... my TSH was around a 5.0.... so borderline on what they believed to be "normal" 8 yrs ago...

What my problem really was .....was that I ate fattening food constantly, very unhealthy... way too much of it and I didn't get off the couch....

Last check up this spring... non medicated... 2.0
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you know you have hypothyroidism, then you should be taking medication for it, being followed by a doctor to check your levels, and if your levels are in the normal range (w/rare exceptions), then you shouldn't have symptoms because you are no longer HYPOthyroidic. So there's no reason that losing weight should be a problem if your condition is being managed properly. Unless you have some other undiagnosed medical condition.

I have hypothyroidism & before I was diagnosed I did gain weight & have trouble losing. Once I got on the meds & they got my levels in a normal range, then no more symptoms. The only issue I have w/my weight now is related to how consistent I am w/my diet & exercise.

So please...no one w/hypothyroidism should be discouraged. If you treat it properly, then it's a non-issue.

I think the big problem is that not everyone is treated properly and it takes time to get things in order.
  • kamr99
    kamr99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to MFP (Well, I tried it once last year, but didn't stick with it). Anyway, I have Hashimoto's as well. I had a devastating 2nd trimester miscarriage early last year (most likely caused by hypothyroidism). I was on synthroid at the time, but my TSH shot up in pregnancy and it just wasn't controlled quickly enough I think. Anyway, I am 32 years old, 5'4". I started on here again a few weeks ago at 154. Weighed this morning at 147. It is really encouraging to read others with the same issues as me having success!! Definitely following this thread!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have been hypo since the birth of my son 7 years ago. I am on levo, 100mcg. My levels have stayed the same for quite some time, even with another pregnancy in between. I lose very slowly, but hey I will take it!! Exercise is the key to me. Having an under active thyroid already makes your energy depleted, but for me exercise helps so much!! I try to do some form of circuit training 3-4 times a week and some varied cardio. It can be done!!! :)
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm hyperthyroid (Grave's disease). When I was first diagnosed I was put on methimazole and I gained about 35 pounds. I stopped taking the medicine and started eating better & exercising and lost 25 and put myself in remission (my levels were fine for about a year). When I got lazy with my diet and exercise my heart palpitations came back and I had the heat sensitivity so I knew my levels had to be off. Went with a new endocrinologist because I refuse to go through radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid. Once I have the thyroid uptake and scan done on Monday/Tuesday I will again begin the methimazole. So I am expecting some weight gain and am hoping to counter act. it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!